Removing sludge from engine - Rattle
I posted a while back that my engine sounds a bit tappety. I had soem spare time today so began to have a good look down the oil filler and I could see quite a lot of sludge on the engine block wall, the camshaft area looks ok but there was a bit of sludge on one of the of camshaft bolts.

I am suspecting this sludge is blocking a yet or something or just stopping the oil from properly reaching the tappets so it does need removing. However what is the best way of removing this? I have always been warned against engine flushes but in this case is it the best cause of action? Should I just get another oil change done (as suggested once on here).

Oil was changed 480 miles ago but I suspect before that it had done 15k without a change.
Removing sludge from engine - bell boy
leave it alone and get radio 2 on theres big country on
Removing sludge from engine - Rattle
I've got a potential 500 mile round trip coming on BUT the advice from most people including you from my previous thread (before I found the sludge) was it is normal for these engines to be a little tappety. I don't want my chain snapping on the Menai bridge while a load of Welsh people laugh at us.
Removing sludge from engine - Tron
Have you tried off the shelf engine flushes?

If they failed:

1. Diesel oil - drain engine oil, refill with 2/3rds diesel oil, top up with cheap engine oil.

Run engine to normal op temp, let it cool & drain.

Refill again with cheap engine oil. This is to flush remaining Diesel oil out.

Run to temp, allow to cool, drain, change filter, refill with choosen oil you are going to keep in engine.

Not everyones cup of tea, see, I already know so no need to tell me.

2. Take to main dealer, indy, etc., and (pay through nose to) have them flush the engine.
Removing sludge from engine - oilrag
Leave it alone Rattle - just do half the normal interval oil and filter changes -(mileage or months)

Hope you enjoy the camping trip ;-)
Removing sludge from engine - the swiss tony
Have you tried off the shelf engine flushes?
If they failed:

DO NOT use engine flushes....
they have a habit of moving the sludge ok..... then blocking the oilways.

as already said... change the oil at short intervals for a while.
even better, can you post a few pictures for us to look at? it may be a normal build up, most cars do have some sludge, without causing problems.
Removing sludge from engine - piggy
on the Menai bridge while a load of Welsh people laugh at us.

I think you`ll find we will not laugh at you,but probably stop to help.
Just rattle your rattle Rattle,then I`ll know it`s you.
Removing sludge from engine - mrmender
I don't want my chain snapping
on the Menai bridge while a load of Welsh people laugh at us.

Ha ha ha! I only live 1/2 a mile away i certainly will come & laugh
Removing sludge from engine - jbif
I am suspecting this sludge is blocking a yet >>

Oil was changed 480 miles ago but I suspect before that it had done 15k without a change >>

IMO, your engine could have suffered some serious real damage. I think you should get a new engine fitted before you go on your long journey to the wild frontier. ;-)

Edited by jbif on 01/06/2009 at 21:52