Antifreeze - a cautionary tale - scott1s
Apart from the obvious don't drink it . . . . . .

Somewhere along the line I have had 2 different types of antifreeze mixed in my car. Don't know the names of them TBH but the one in the car was the new pink long life type apparently. When I got a coolant change some 18 months or so ago it would appear the old style 'blue' stuff was used and the system hadn't been flushed. As a consequence there was a reaction between the two, causing a corrosive (It apparently it particularly harmful to aluminium components) sludgy, jelly like substance to form through the entire cooling system. This has caused through time pressure to build up in the system resulting in head gasket failure, thermostat failure and failure of the oil cooler too. Hopefully the matrix will be a bit sturdier and OK.

Anyway system has been thoroughly flushed, and hopefully all seems just fine now. Garages were until recently unaware of this phenomenon apparently. SO if you see a build up of residue in your expension tank, please drain off and get the system flushed asap as it could be costly.

.*******
Antifreeze - a cautionary tale - Rattle
Been aware of this for a couple of years (mainly through this site). I have no idea at all what is in mine (it is an orange sort of colour) is there any testing kits?

Edited by Rattle on 30/05/2009 at 15:11

Antifreeze - a cautionary tale - smokie
"...is there any testing kits"

Do you really want to know Rattle? You might find your car is expecting twins. :-)
Antifreeze - a cautionary tale - Hamsafar
Pretty disgusting if a garage did this. It has been known about for around 7-8 years, pretty much as long as the red stuff was available aftermarket and people needed to top up cars with factory long-life fills.
Antifreeze - a cautionary tale - scott1s
Yes it was. Not a franchised outfit but one of the national 'fast fix' type chain with the green sign (can't name and shame eh?). Car was nearly 4 years old so due a coolant change as was advised at service time a month or two before. They were doing coolant changes for £28 so went for it . . . . . . . Trouble is can't prove it now. Oh well - buy cheap, pay dear they say.
Antifreeze - a cautionary tale - zookeeper
no idea at all what is in mine (it is an orange sort of colour)
is there any testing kits?

try using a magnet it's probably rust
Antifreeze - a cautionary tale - Blue {P}
Agreed, they've known about this for years, it isn't a recent phenomenon.