99 1.8 Rear Brake Squeal - zafiraman
I have a 2.5 yr old 1.8 Elegance with 18000 mls on.
At the start of the summer I noticed a slight squeal on the rear brakes which disapeared after pulling away. My conclusion was a sticky caliper.
The symptoms got worse. So much so that at the height of summer with 27 degrees of heat the squeal refused to go away and got worse. A noise louder than a sqealing fan belt and permanant.
I stoped for ten minutes and the noise cleared.
Vauxhall gave a quick response. "There is a problem and we are replacing rear calipers on some vehicles".
Unfortunatley, the day they checked the car the weather was cold and overcast and the squeal failed to appear. No other fault was found with discs or pads. I could pay for the work - £400 or wait. I'm waiting as I don't expect a repeat until next summer.

Has anyone else suffered and should Vauxhall recall? The noise is very worrying when the car is full of family and you can hear at top speed on the motorway.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 01/01/2008 at 19:48

Zafira Rear Brake Squeal - The Watcher
Surely if they know there is a problem, the heat of the day doesn't matter!?

I'd ask to speak to the service manager at your local Vauxhall garage and tell him you expect the work to be carried out as Vauxhall is aware there is a problem.

My imported Zafira is about 16 month old and I haven't got any noise from my brakes so don't know if it only affects cars over 2.5 years or some faulty batch of UK(?) supplied parts.
Zafira Rear Brake Squeal - zafirawoman
I have Zafira Elegance 1800... 8 mths old.
Rear brake squeal virtually since new.
Got bad, took it to dealer.
Of course they found no problem but say they stripped and rebuilt.
I don't actually know what they did.
They wouldn't give me any paperwork to take away when I collected my car.
Squeal has gone away, at least for the time being.
When I collected my car I could see into the workshop.
There was another Zafira (51) being worked on with both of its rear wheels removed. Don't know if that was brakes, but it was a coincidence. It was seeing that car that prompted me to do a bit of internet research.
Is there any progress on this issue ???
Should I be going back to garage sooner rather than later ??
Thanks.
Zafira Rear Brake Squeal - Dynamic Dave
Rear brake squeal virtually since new.
took it to dealer. they stripped and rebuilt.
I don't actually know what they did.

If brake drums, Most probably clean out any brake dust and then file a chamfer on the brake shoes at each end.
Thanks for comments... but, disks all round.
Check out Zafiraman ... thread before my message...
Also the Net has other comments on other sites about this issue.
Vauxhall know about the problem and are replacing calipers on some cars.
But, it is hush, hush.
I'm looking for more Zafira owners with similar probs and would love to hear what they have done and learnt about the problem.
A problem which in extreme cases includes hand brake failure !!
Cheers.
Vauxhall know about the problem and are replacing calipers on
some cars. But, it is hush, hush.

Have you considered contacting Watchdog?
Vauxhall were hush, hush about cambelt tensioner failures on certain models of Cavaliers (depending on engine spec) It wasn't until Watchdog highlighted the fact, that Vauxhall then wrote to Cavalier owners asking them to pop into a Vaux franchise for a free inspection of the tensioner, and free replacement if it was one of the dodgy ones affected.

Do the rear brakes only squeal when they're applied, or do they still squeak marginally when driving along at low speeds? The reason I ask is because, as you mention, it has rear disks, but the handbrake still uses a drum brake.
Thanks once again...
I didn't realise hand brake would be a drum. I assumed rear disks used for hand brake too.
But, hand brake has not (yet!) been a prob with me. I just have seen mention of hand brake failure on another site. Brake squeal happens for me at low speed, stops when brakes applied.
Common situation when nudging forward at traffic lights queue.
Coasting down hill between light changes. Brakes don't seem to come off quite, them seem to just bind and you get the squeal.
I can see from other sites that some people have had more severe probs and have binding/squeal at higher speed. I'll take your advice and look at Watchdog site. I may well send in my comments. Maybe other people have too so it might help the prob be brought out into the open. Cheers.
I didn't realise hand brake would be a drum. I assumed rear
disks used for hand brake too.

Yes, the rear hub is both drum and disk. The only reason I queried the handbrake was because of a post several months ago regarding the Astra (I think) handbrakes and the cable being overtightened during a service. The handbrake shoes gently rub the drum, and possibly become hot due to friction, thus expansion then takes place and the shoes start to bind.
Do you apply the handbrake between light changes? I'm not saying it is definately the handbrake at fault here, but there could be a connection if you've heard of Zafira's having hand brake problems.
I guess I generally apply hand brake between light changes. I say this because my regular run that causes the squeal has lights on a downward hill, so that motivates me to use handbrake.
Then the squeal occurs as I roll down to my next light change stop. I'll have to test the 'linked to handbrake' theory. Next time squeal happens I'll think about whether I've just taken off the handbrake or not. Thanks again....
Zafira Rear Brake Squeal - cornishman
I have used the information from here as leverage to discuss this with my local dealer, on three visits an m.o.t. and specific visit to take out a technician to hear it they could find no problem, warranty has just finnished and I was getting worried.
During the recent really hot weather it increased to a loud squeal, after reading your information I tested the hand brake theory by putting it on to one notch whilst driving along slowly and bingo the noise stopped, accused my dealer of being economical with the truth about brakes and they became very uncomfortable.The upshot has been a complete new set of rear pads and calipers plus new hand brake cable, total cost £600.00.
Vauxhall agreed to replace all parts if I paid for the new discs (worn for 3 years by me) I agreed and only paid £115.00 toward the cost.
Their position was that it was reported to the dealer at the end of the 3 year warranty albeit over the time period.They still do not accept or admit that this is a problem but they don't like to have it mentioned either, why would they pay up for this work if it is not down to their faulty parts?
I urge all Zafira owners with noisy brakes to give them a hard time to get it fixed, my 2.2 Comfort is now driving like a new car and no noises to get fed up or worried about with either.Long live consumer forums like this to get back at dealer and manufacturer divide and rule tactics
Zafira Rear Brake Squeal - astrakev
Same problem with my Astra 2001 1.8 sxi. After 20 miles I get a deep humming noise followed shortly by a high pitched squeal which persists for 3 miles and then goes before returning on and off to a lesser extent for the rest of the jeorney. Tapping the brake or pulling the handbrake on a notch stops the noice for that instant, releasing it the noise returns.

I've been to the dealer on 2 occasions and no fault found as of course they dont test drive for 20 miles. However, there is clearly a fault with the astra/zafira rear calipers as posted here and at www.astra-convertible.co.uk/visitorscomments.php so as it's so commonplace Vauxhall should recall and rectify for any owners with such problems.

I've booked the car in again on 1 October and will bring their attention to this site and the one above. If I need to I'll contact Watchdog.
Zafira Rear Brake Squeal - cornishman
On one of my visits to the dealer I received a cock and bull story about hard spots on the pads which can cause the problem, they recommended that I book it in for a 30 minute remove and champfer which probably would have resolved the problem short term but they would not come out to hear it for themselves even though I had warmed them up nicely before hand.
They are being very tardy on this issue and it may require big guns/threats or skilled negotiations to achieve a satisfactory solution.
My position was fairly solid in so far as every bit of work from new, including servicing, new rear tyres and first MOT had been carried out by the dealer which stopped any debate about where the responsibilty lay for them being unable to discover what the problem was.
The always seem to be compromised by the dealership contract, i.e. To lose one or two disatisfied customers is alot cheaper than losing the dealership so they do not argue with Vauxhall on the customers behalf unless they really have to.
p.s Mine needed a new engine at 20,000 miles that was a heavy negotiation with dealer, vauxhall, warranty, car hire the lot!
Good luck
Zafira Rear Brake Squeal - greaser pv
I own a 2.0 turbo Gsi '52 plate ( 03 model ) 16000 mls . There is a mod on the rear calipers which is to fit a damper to the handbrake cables . This eliminates a graunching noise when braking in reverse . Never had the squeal from the rear brakes as others describe , perhaps they sorted the calipers by this stage ? However I have had lengthy discussions with various levels of VXL people with regards to the infuriating engine rattle which apparently comes from the balancer shaft and loose shimming thereof . Sounds like little end rattle , done it from new . Their cust. svs. has had a revamp about 6 months ago , still leaves alot to be desired IMO .
Zafira Rear Brake Squeal - astrakev
Took my car in to Vauxhall today as mentioned. Explained the problems I've been having and those reported here and the other website I refer to above. Dealer rang Vauxhall and they kindly agreed to replace all rear brake components free of charge. This consists of two rear calipers, two rear disks, a set of new brake pads and a handbrake cable kit. I am absolutely delighted with the service I've received. So grateful to zafiraman, cornishman etc for your thread/posts.
Zafira Rear Brake Squeal - teegee
I have had this brake squeal problem for 4 years. Each time the brakes were cleaned off, chamfered and pads greased. It cured it for a few months. GM dealers denied any knowledge of a problem. Noise is there intermitant at low and high speeds. Goes off when braking. Car is going in again tomorrow - I'll post any info I get.
Zafira Rear Brake Squeal - ZafiraBrakeSqueal
My 2.2 Zafira is a 51 with 47,000 miles. I changed the rear brake pads to find the passenger side brake pads with unequal wear. I replaced all the pads on the rear which gave me brake squeal. I also found that the read brake pads on the passenger side is in close contact with the disc, and when hot, produced the squeal. I'm going to replace the caliper next. Has anyone tried this themselves and know of any possible problems before I try this?
Zafira Rear Brake Squeal - Ruperts Trooper
Clarification may be needed on Vauxhall handbrakes.

Early Vauxhalls (eg Cavaliers) with disk rear brakes also had a drum in which the handbrake operated BUT the Astra Mk4 and Zafira both have a handbrake which clamps the brake pads against the disk. There's no seperate drum. Of course drum-brake Astras and Zafiras do have a conventional handbrake.
Early Vauxhalls (eg Cavaliers) with disk rear brakes also had a
drum in which the handbrake operated BUT the Astra Mk4 and
Zafira both have a handbrake which clamps the brake pads against
the disk. There's no seperate drum. Of course drum-brake Astras and
Zafiras do have a conventional handbrake.

I thought Vauxhall carried on the tradition of separate brake shoes for the handbrake? The Vectra-B certainly did, as well as the current Vectra-C / Signum, and the Omega.
Zafira Rear Brake Squeal - wemyss
On my 98 Vectra it does have separate brake shoes for the handbrake but there is no actual drum.
The brake shoes work on the inside of the disk in a similar way to brake drums and are much smaller than conventional brake shoes.
The handbook suggests that regular cleaning of these is carried out by driving the car a few hundred yards with the handbrake partially on.
Zafira Rear Brake Squeal - cossie0
My 03 zafira gsi has developed a brake squeal. Pulling on the hand brake one notch stops it. Release the hand brake and it starts again. Did anyone ever get to the bottom of what it is that is actually causing the noise. It is over the 3 year warranty although it has been doing it for a few months now. Can anyone suggest the most economical way of fixing this.

thanks
Zafira Rear Brake Squeal - Nick Shep
I have a zafira dti elegance made 09/2000, I had rear brake squeal, vauxhall changed the pads and discs, anyway, cut a long story short, the squeal got worse until, it burnt out my near offside pads and ruined the discs. Searching the internet, Vauxhall know of this problem, it is the caliper seizing, as they used Bosch calipers, and I think they changed the calipers to lucas in 2002, so in the end i had to change the caliper, pads and discs by my local mechanic.

Of course, vauxhall wouldn't touch a replacement part and wanted to install all new parts !!!!!
Zafira Rear Brake Squeal - Hairy Hat Man
My 2003.5 MY 1.8 zafiara has just developed this problem at 32k miles. Only happens when everything is up to running temperature and at speed i.e. > 40mph. Applying the brakes, handbrake or a slight movement of the steering stops the squeal.
Zafira Rear Brake Squeal - Saltrampen
Had similar problems on a Honda and a Friend had similar issues on a 206.
The Honda mechanic said around 2000 - 2002 (not sure exact year) all pads had to be
asbestos free, but some early attempts at asbestos free pads had given rise to pads which squeal when just touching the disk especially when pads are old (ie back ones which last longer) and warm.
Since then Honda and Peugeot (and maybe others? don't know for sure?) have have switched to a modified
pad which does not give the same problems.

Another comment I've read is that modern pads wear discs down faster than the old asbestos type, which may create more metallic dust - which could give squeal.

This may just one of those dealer stories told to customers to keep them happy, but maybe an brake compound expert could confirm this is so. It might explain many squealing problems that go with new pads.
S.
I thought Vauxhall carried on the tradition of separate brake shoes for the handbrake? The Vectra-B certainly did, as well as the current Vectra-C / Signum, and the Omega.

Having this thread brought back to the surface again, I would just like to point out that my above statement was incorrect. The Vec-C and Signum doesn't have separate brake shoes for the handbrake - it uses the same system as the foot brakes. Sorry for any misunderstandings.
05 1.6 Rear Brake Squeal - Theklf99

I know this is a very old post but I'm having the same issue too on a 2005 Zafira A.

The back brakes on this car have always been really noisy, especially when they get wet and I first start driving (I guessed that the noise when they get wet is just the pads getting wet or something).

But for the past few days we've noticed that when reversing the rear brakes have started making a squeaking noise (it's so loud that dog has started barking at the car when I arrive home - so even the dog is noticing it!). A few weeks ago we had the brakes checked to ensure there was plenty of pad left, and the guy that checked them said the it was only the inner pad on the drivers side that was slightly worn but nothing that needed any immediate attention. He did also ask when was the last time we had the brakes serviced.

We had the car serviced back in October and the guy that serviced it then said that he only needed to change the oil and oil filter and charged us just under £100. I presume that when he serviced it he would have checked to see if the brakes needed servicing, I notice Vauxhall dealers have different levels of servicing but the guy we go to doesn't offer the different levels he just says he does what ever needs doing at the time - so does that mean he's doing a basic service or is he checking all the bits that would normally be checked on a full service and then just charging us for the bits he needs to replace? This is our first car since leaving the motability scheme so it's a bit confusing as to what a service actually is as on the motability scheme it was all taken care of for us (plus I have an autistic spectrum disorder and don't fully understand cars - my main interest is more computers than cars), and does a general service normally include servicing the brakes or is that a seperate service? When we used to have motability car serviced they came up with a tick sheet showing us a map of the car with all different information like tread depth, brake wear, etc but this guy didn't produce any type of map of the car to show me what he'd checked - somebody else told me that this is normal as it's only main dealers that do that, is that right?

Also the car was only MOT'd in October, the MOT was done a week before the service. We had the car MOT'd at the same place that asked if the brakes had been serviced (Gatechange Garage in Tenbury), but we had the service done at the garage we originally bought the car from (Overton Service Station in Ludlow) 'cos the place we bought the car from doesn't do MOT's and when we bought the car the garage owner sold it to us for what we considered an absolute bargain for a 2005 plate 7 seater vehicle, and so we like to use him regularly for things like servicing as he's a really nice person and it was so good of him to sell us the car so reasonably, and also he helped us rescue the car when we drove it into a flood and got it back to life which saved us a fortune on insurance premiums.

Edited by Theklf99 on 08/03/2015 at 08:47