98 1.4 cylinder liner disturbed - handsomejackuk
Hi,

just put a new cambelt on my 306, it bent two valves as it snapped, I removed the head myself, and put in the two new valves.

I did not have a manual and did not know anything about the cylinder liners. Consequently, i turned over the engine (spanner on end of crank) with the head off and one of the liners popped up slightly, resulting in coolant disappearing down the sump i think. I was very careful when turning the engine over again to make sure that i held the liners down.

I have put everything back together, drained the oil. refillied with oil.

CAr strarts o.k. and runs but there is a lot of water still in oil. I have run engine flush in the oil and will drain again today. to see if there is any improvement.

Is there any other way of knowing whether i have disturbed the seal in the liner without taking apart again ?

Do I have to remove the sump, pistons, then liners, and have to reseat them ?

I cant find any good pictures of liners to see where the seal is and how i could have disturbed it.

Thanks Alun

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/05/2009 at 11:22

98 1.4 cylinder liner disturbed - mfarrow
It may be worth rining your local (or otherwise) engine reconditioners to see if they will lend you some free advice.

To be honest I would expect you'll have to take the sump/piston out to free the liner, clean up and resit at the same orientation with whatever sealant you're recommended.
98 1.4 cylinder liner disturbed - Peter.N.
If the seal is in good condition, refitting the liner to its correct position should suffice. The only thing you can do is monitor the water and oil levels and see what happens.
98 1.4 cylinder liner disturbed - 659FBE
The problem with disturbed seals on wet liner engines is that as soon as the liner lifts, crud from the cooling jacket falls into the sealing area. You may get away with carefully pushing the liner back into position, but the chances are not good. (Horrid memories of a Renault 16 engine).

As you've assembled the engine, one test you could make is to pressurise the cooling system with a tester pump and pass a small bore tube down the dipstick hole (better to drain the oil first). Listen carefully at the free end of the tube - you might hear leakage. Any pressure loss shown up by this test must place the liner seals under suspicion.

Best of luck - this is a horrible problem to have to deal with if you've re-assembled the engine. Bodging does not generally work.

Thanx for your advice. I flushed the system. refilled with smartprice oil (ASDA) £7.00 cleaned the rocker cover, the screen thngy, fitted new filter and cleaned as much salad cream as i could from rocker cover. Started and run around the block removed the rocker cover, and look like the same watery oil in rocker box.

Think I will scrap the car anyone interested in peugeot 306 1.4 miami metalic blue, good condition, 75,000 miles, £150 spares or repair ? 2months m.o.t. tax up in a few days....

South wales gwent area....

Alun
98 1.4 cylinder liner disturbed - Robin the Technician
Mayonnaise in the rocker box doesn't always mean its as serious as it seems. The most important thing is if the oil level has increased and whether you've actually lost water from the cooling system. you need to take the car on a run for approx 20 miles to check if the oil level has risen and with the engine running at proper operating temperature for a reasonable time, possibly the mayo in the rocker box will burn itself off.
If you have the skills to remove the head etc, then its worth you taking the head off, lifting the offending liner, cleaning out the crud where the seal is (probably use a brake cleaner - the aerosol type will help blast away the crud) then re assemble.

If its in good nick then its worth fixing.

98 1.4 cylinder liner disturbed - marty1979
When I did the head gasket on my 91 Golf I got a bit of mayo on the filler cap for a few miles, went away after a few warm-ups. I've read that plastic filler caps show this problem more because they don't get hot like metal caps do, so the moisture doesn't burn away as quick. As mentioned, drive it for a bit and then see how it is.
hi,

Thanks for your help, I have the car running. Oil does seem a little better. I have a problem now that the car seems to be fluffing (Chuffing sound) through the exhaust. Timing has been rechecked and is still correct. I have checked compression and that is 200 PSI on all cylinders. Valve clearances checked. Spark plugs seem very sooty, and generally the idle is not very good. Any clues on what i can do next to remedy this. Plugs have been cleaned all leads seem in good condition and are sparking correctly.... Could I have disturbed one of the sensors, or have a vaccuum leaks ? How do I check this ?

Any ideas on poor idle. I have time to clean/ check Inlet system / injectors do you think this will help....?

THanks Alun