Dealer sinks to new low - jacks
I was at a local independent service/repair/MOt garage this week getting my son's car MOT'd when a young woman came in to pick her Citroen C2. I got chatting to the guy who runs the garage and he told me the lady had taken the C2 (57 plate 10,000 mileage) into the main dealer for a service. The dealer had rang her at home to say the front pads were "80% worn" and needed changing urgently. The lady had checked with her husband who didn't think the pads were worn, and told her to decline their offer, but to take it into the said independent the next day for a second opinion.
The Citroen dealer had then rang the lady again (the day after the service) at home to request that she book the car in for pads as it was a safety item, and that the car could be dangerous to drive.
Needless to say the independent had taken the wheels off, checked the pads, discs, road tested the car and found absolutely nothing wrong. Pads having plenty of life left.
The woman was really jumpy and nervous about driving the car (she had a baby with her as well) and the independent garage guy had to spend quite a lot of time reassuring her that the car really was safe.

I was quite disgusted how low the dealer had sunk just to try and get another £60 or so out of their customer.

J
Dealer sinks to new low - DP
If I were that customer I'd be on the phone to Trading Standards.

Dealer sinks to new low - perro
In my humble opinion, the main agent was erring on the side of caution and was quite correct in recommending the replacement of the brake pads - especially with today's extended service intervals but - what do I know?
Dealer sinks to new low - bell boy
if i get a car in for sale with only 20% left on the pads i change them

the dealer was right by the way but as usual he is dammed if he does dammed if he doesnt

Edited by bell boy on 23/05/2009 at 15:06

Dealer sinks to new low - gordonbennet
Surprised the dealer would take such a risk, it would take the most non mechanical chap 10 minutes to remove a front wheel and look for himself at the remaining brake pad thickness.
I wouldn't be sending a customers car out with 3 mm or less pad on the front either.
Dealer sinks to new low - Mookfish
The question is were the pads 80% worn or not, the lady's husband didn't seem to think so.

If they were 80% worn then the dealer was doing the right thing, but is the problem that the dealer is exagerating? We might never know.
Dealer sinks to new low - steveo3002
main dealer i worked at tried to push new brakes on everyone , slightest bit of red on the edge of the discs = madam your brakes are correded and needs replacing etc

go on about the saftey of it and most people pay up
Dealer sinks to new low - Dynamic Dave
main dealer i worked at tried to push new brakes on everyone .....

Same happened with my Dad's 51 reg Astra. For 3 yrs they kept telling him the pads and discs needed replacing. They were working on the assumption that he was "Mr Typical car driver" who did 10,000 or more miles yearly and the pads and discs wouldn't see him through until next service. Every year I had the same discussion with the service manager that my dad doesn't do 10,000 miles a year, AND when the time did come to change them I would do the job myself. All my dad was interested in was having the book stamped to say the engine had been serviced.
Dealer sinks to new low - Martin Devon
They were working on the assumption that he was "Mr Typical car driver" who did 10 000 or more miles yearly and the pads and discs wouldn't see him through until next service.

What if they won't get through until the next service. Doesn't anyone check anything part way through any more??

MD
Dealer sinks to new low - stunorthants26
Whatever happened to the time that dealers gave you a conservative estimate of how many more miles you may get from items such as pads? My dealer has done this so I keep an eye in things that have been brought to my attention.

If a car has 20k service intervals for instance and if the pads may fail before the next service, you could bet every penny you have that the customer would complain and blame the dealer.

People should take more personal responsibility for their cars condition really.
Dealer sinks to new low - captain chaos
If the indy said the brakes were fine, I'd be inclined to believe them.
Another classic case of a main dealer leg lifting exercise when no work needs doing but "hey it's a woman/oap, let's have a laff"
Posted recently about father in law getting charged the thick end of a grand for a service and petrol tank for a fiesta. Tank cost £600 and another main dealer quoted half that.
Had a Volvo in for a service at the main dealers years ago. Upon collection was told the pads would need changing at the next service. "Really? You changed them at the last service. Five thousand miles ago." "Oh, it's only advisory, sir."
Gets back home, wheel off, pads like new. Dealership closed soon after.
Fraud and thievery. Can't be doing with it.
Dealer sinks to new low - Lud
Fraud and thievery. Can't be doing with it.

80 per cent worn after 10,000 miles from new? Was the lady doing offroad banger racing in it or what?

Trying to bully and threaten car owners with allegations about safety is corporate practice with some big chains too, here and in the US. The assumption, correct in most cases, is that the owners know nothing and will spend the money just to be on the safe side. It is fraud, it is thievery and it is despicable. But it's so widespread the people who do it probably aren't aware of their moral turpitude and even think of themselves as responsible, the carphounds.

The answer (if you are one of the helpless 80 per cent of owners) is to avoid main dealers and big outfits and find a decent independent who will give a sensible assessment of when to come in for a brake check or anything else. But they aren't always easy to find.
The answer (if you are one of the helpless 80 per cent of owners) is
to avoid main dealers and big outfits and find a decent independent who will give
a sensible assessment of when to come in for a brake check or anything else.
But they aren't always easy to find.

They are out there though, Lud. I count myself fortunate to have a reliable, trustworthy indy and will continue to support and recommend them to others.
If one good thing is to come from the recession, hopefully it will sort the wheat from the chaff
I count myself fortunate to have a reliable, trustworthy indy and will continue to support and recommend them to others.

I do too. The problem with the whole area though is that an ignorant car owner doesn't have the mental equipment to discriminate between an impressive shop front and an honest and rational discourse.

bell boy as quite often feels a certain sympathy for the garage and takes its assessment of '80 per cent worn' at face value, perhaps for purposes of argument. As someone who makes a living from secondhand cars he has had wide and no doubt very tiresome experience of the other side of the coin: ignorant buyers who nevertheless want to be assertive and 'look after themselves', so make dealers' lives a misery by hanging about making ridiculous demands. Seems not unlikely that some dealers (not bb of course) get irritated enough to pull some sort of financial stroke with PITA buyers...
They are out there though Lud. I count myself fortunate to have a reliable trustworthy
indy and will continue to support and recommend them to others.
If one good thing is to come from the recession hopefully it will sort the
wheat from the chaff

Agree, but isn't there some kind of EU carp coming about only main Dealers being able to carry out servicing work? Sure I've seen something here.

Martin
Dealer sinks to new low - Old Navy
80 per cent worn after 10 000 miles from new? Was the lady doing offroad
banger racing in it or what?

That thought crossed my mind, I know brake wear is a variable, but I recently changed my front pads at 80% worn at 50,000 miles.
if i get a car in for sale with only 20% left on the pads
i change them
the dealer was right by the way but as usual he is dammed if he
does dammed if he doesnt

In this case - do I really need to spell it out? - the dealer had lied.

The garage had taken the wheels off and checked - and the pads were no where near 80% worn. The mechanic I was chatting to was amazed at the dishonesty of the main dealer and the way they had shamlessly called the woman at home and played on her fear of her (and her baby's) safety by claiming the car could be dangerous to drive. It wasn't.

I don't see how the main dealer - in this case - can be seen as anything other than dishonest.

J

Edit - I'm surprised how a couple of people have replied taking as read that the pads were 80% worn. In case any one is in doubt - the pads were not worn badly, and were as the mechanic would have expected on a 10,000 mile car, with lots of life left in them. The dealer was - as I thought I made clear - lying.

Edited by jacks on 23/05/2009 at 16:11

Dealer sinks to new low - b308
especially with today's
extended service intervals but -

OP didn't say it was extended service car....
Dealer sinks to new low - L'escargot
Unless the "independent" knew what the thickness of friction material was when new, which they might not but which a Citroën dealer most certainly would, then the "independent" would have no means of assessing what life was left in the pads.
the "independent" would have
no means of assessing what life was left in the pads.

I think this guy - 20 years in the trade, and an MOT tester - knows when a set of pad needs replacing.

I'm surprised you are defending the dealer who was clearly trying to rip off this woman.

In fact this young woman was so fearful of her car's safety that it would of been very simple for the mechanic to say the pads were worn and make a pound or two.

To his credit he didn't.

J
80 per cent worn after 10000 miles?
Ho ho ho
Missed a trick, though. The clutch would need replacing too, hopefully an engine out job.
Any non-warranty friction part is fair game
Tyres down to the wood too. Best fit a new set or you'll crash and burn and die a horrible death
I honestly don't know how some people sleep at night.
I honestly don't know how some people sleep at night.

I can't. That's why I'm here!!!!!!!!

MD
Before I made a judgement against the Citroën dealer I'd want to know
(a) the thickness of the friction material when new
(b) the actual thickness
(c) Citroën's (i.e. the car manufacturer's) recommended minimum thickness

Without that information to back up the thread title, then the thread title could be totally unjustified. Until I've seen the proof I'll take this thread as being just one more unsubstantiated "franchised dealers are crooks" thread.
I'll take this thread as being just one more unsubstantiated "franchised dealers are crooks" thread.

Your insistence on scientific proof does you credit escargot, but others are surprised by the allegation of 80 per cent front pad wear on a new car after ten thousand miles.

Replacement pads on a car with badly scored discs, heavily used by the driver, can have fairly short lives. But in this case the allegation sounds unreasonable to an experienced owner of many cars.
But in this case the allegation sounds unreasonable to an experienced
owner of many cars.

Yes it does, but we have a third hand report of a telephone conversation here to make judgement on which may well have been embellished before the OP ever heard it.

As i said above, the dealer would be taking a serious risk by lying about such an easily checked item.

tinyurl.com/qdrdre
Obviously there is a problem with Citroen brake pads. Are they made from compressed grass, perhaps;-)
Discs appear to have an extremely short life too. Perhaps apologies are in order regarding this particular incident. Ok, I apologise.
I've still had personal experience of main dealer shennanigans though :-(
Dealer sinks to new low - bell boy
10,000 miles ,80% worn ,sounds totally reasonable to me on a small whizz bomb like a c2.
I can read the headline now 23 year old woman killed by car with worn pads,parents petition houses of parliament ,garage knew they wouldn"t last till its first mot or next service but did NOTHING to save young girls live.
Father refuses to bury her till PM gives long speech in parliament,mother going to european court to get ruling that all brake pads should have whistles attached when pads get near limit
Brake manufacturers see upturn in business,economy saved,PM REELECTED
Father refuses to bury her till PM gives long speech in parliament mother going to
european court to get ruling that all brake pads should have whistles attached when pads
get near limit

Wouldn't be a bad idea bb. I once owned a Camaro with audible pad wear indicator. Nothing fancier than a metal tag that rubbed on the disc when the pad was worn down
It was a '74 model
Quite a few people slag simple yank technology. It'll be nice when we catch up...
Quite a few people slag simple yank technology. It'll be nice when we catch up...

Exactly the same on the Hilux, doesn't need wiring ( with warning light that should read 'take to dealer and bend over'), just simple and effective.
Dealer sinks to new low - Rattle
I've got the opposite problem. When my Corsa was serviced I was told the front pads were 75% worn. I then asked him to replace them and he said there is no point as I have another 3k miles left in them. Surely though at 75% worn braking performance would be reduced? They did pass the MOT etc without an advisory but the MOT braking test is fairly basic.

No it isn't, Rattle
It was fairly basic years ago when the car brakes were tested on the forecourt with a decelerometer. Nowadays each wheel is tested for braking efficiency. That's why you don't see just one skid mark on the carriageway like you used to (usually veering off to the side)
I know its more advanced than it used to be, but cars can still pass the MOT even if the brakes are weaker than they were designed to be. My question was how worn do the pads have to be to start to effect the braking performance?

I've done 400 miles since I was told they were 75% worn.
Dealer sinks to new low - bathtub tom
>>Surely though at 75% worn braking performance would be reduced?

Absolutely not! It could be argued they're more efficient than new ones, because they're 'bedded in'.
Relax, Rattle. Should be quite a few miles left in them yet.
It all depends on how hard you are on the brakes. Friend of mine needed a new set of discs and pads on his RS4 after 20k and was relieved of £600. Mind you, he does drive it like he stole it, being an ex motorcycle racer. Damn good driver though.
I've only ever replaced one set of front pads in all the years I've been driving. All down to planning ahead (also some of the machinery I've driven with drum brakes all round had a similar stopping distance to the Queen Mary). Brake fade on a two and a quarter ton car when hauling the thing down from speed during spells of spirited driving makes things interesting too. Four wheel disc brakes and ABS? You youngsters don't know you're born... ;-)
Dealer sinks to new low - doctorchris
Who would want to be a mechanic at a car dealers now?
Some cars have very long service intervals and serviceable brakes could be dangerous when the next service comes round.
There are so many variables that affect especially disc wear and corrosion. My Panda Cross with all-round discs had a bump early on in its life, spent a lot of time sitting doing nothing whilst waiting for parts and the discs are quite corroded for a 4,500 mile car.
Brakes are very much a safety related item. Now, I know how to take off the wheels and asess the brakes but I think I'm the exception these days.
I feel, on balance, that the dealers are going for customer safety, not big profits.
By the way, my Panda can't be put on the rolling road for its brake test so has to be taken out on the road with a decelerometer.
Brakes - Rattle
Oi!!! My car has no ABS and drums at the rear and I have no trouble at all stopping it even on the one time I had to an emergency stop. As for brake usage I probably brake heavily once in 100 miles and that is usualy only if a light turns onto amber at the last minute.

What I don't like about my brakes as they are quite spongy the first bit of travel not a lot happens but if you put the pedal down the brakes suddenly kick in, not a problem as I am used to it and I am told on the Corsa sight its normal for a Corsa B.

I drive for mechanical sympathy and as a result get 45mpg in the city, use no oil or water :). It is just as good fun as the boy racers way of doing it, 0-30 in two seconds then slam on brakes for the lights.

It seems strange owning a car that dosn't require a garage visit everyday still getting my head round it :).

My dad also drives without using his brakes and as a result his front discs have now got 30k on them and they are not even worn. They are as smooth as Kylie back in 1988!
Brakes - gordonbennet
Oi!!! My car has no ABS and drums at the rear and I have no
trouble at all stopping it

Think CC was going back to more basic brakes Rattle me old mate.

My old Mustang with the 'small' 5.7 V8 had drum brakes all round and no servo...that made stopping from its potential speeds um interesting..;)
Brakes - doctorchris
Rattle, the idea of your dad driving without using his brakes scares me to death.
Don't forget, my daughter lives in Didsbury and I don't want her to be mown down by an old fella who has forgotten what the middle pedal is for!
Brakes - Rattle
Hehe and the bad news is me and my dad both drive to Didsbury almost every day :p Of course he does use his brakes but he is very good at seeing what is ahead and slowing down gently through the gears etc rather than suddenly slamming on his brakes when he sees the hazzard at the last minute.

I bought my Corsa from Didsbury btw :). Private sale.

Anyway I will leave my brakes for a bit longer now, I guess they make a bit of a racket when they are about to go. Also I have been told my car has sensors which show up the brake light if the pads get too low but you can't rely on that.
Brakes - b308
My dad also drives without using his brakes

Now that would be worth seeing! (Only joking, Rattle, I know what you mean!) ;)

Does remind me of one thing, though, the number of times I've followed someone that have come to a standstill many times without showing brake lights... usually its not good driving, just blown bulbs...
Brakes - Rattle
Not witnessed that yet myself, seen plenty with one bulb out though. Which reminds me I check my lights now :).
Brakes - Old Navy
My dad also drives without using his brakes and as a result his front discs
have now got 30k on them and they are not even worn. They are as
smooth as Kylie back in 1988!

Tell your dad that brake pads are cheaper than gearboxes and clutches.
Brakes - yeoman
In response to Old Navy and on behalf of all those of us who are gentle on the brakes, I keep my cars typically for 70k miles and have never had to replace - or ever suspected any wear - in a clutch or gearbox :)

Edited by yeoman on 23/05/2009 at 21:32

Brakes - Old Navy
In response to Old Navy and on behalf of all those of us who are
gentle on the brakes I keep my cars typically for 70k miles and have never
had to replace - or ever suspected any wear - in a clutch or gearbox
:)

>>
May I refer you to my post of 14:53, I do not consider myself amongst the heavy brake users. My gear box is fine, I keep my fingers crossed for my DMF. :-)
Motor Dealers, Dishonest? Whatever next! - bonzodog
I guess the only person who knows why they said the pads needed changing was the person who said it. Perhaps he genuinely thought they needed changing, perhaps he made a mistake or perhaps he was pulling a fast one.

What made me smile was L'Escargot's comment that "I'll take this thread as being just one more unsubstantiated "franchised dealers are crooks" thread".

EVERY, I'll repeat, EVERY dealer I have worked for or with in the past 25 has routinely indulged in crooked behaviour. The frequency & severity of the behaviour has obviously varied & none to my knowledge have knowingly put lives at risk (although at times it's been a close call) but it's a bit like MP's expenses - everyone knows it goes on but it's so common that the owners, dealer staff, their suppliers & the authorities turn a blind eye.
Motor Dealers, Dishonest? Whatever next! - Lud
EVERY, I'll repeat, EVERY dealer I have worked for or with in the past 25

turn a blind eye.

It's true that changing brake pads when they are less than half worn isn't dangerous. But it isn't necessary, and it is wasteful. This is bad in principle and expensive for the customer.

But to the people who do it it seems quite normal. Of course they know other people do worse things, and they probably do them themselves. But in this case they are telling themselves that the punter's car will be as good as new, even though it doesn't need to be, and at the same time they or their firm will make the few quid involved. A win win situation they must think. Two birds with one stone.

Now that sleazy thinking of this sort is so commonplace, is it any wonder that this country is apparently leading the rest of the world headfirst down the toilet?

Edited by Lud on 23/05/2009 at 19:26

Motor Dealers, Dishonest? Whatever next! - Mr X
A TV prog like Rouge Traders shows us that there are a percentage of builders, plumbers, electricians, computer repair men even, who are keen to have us over in order to make a fast buck. Why should the franchised dealerships be any different ?
Motor Dealers, Dishonest? Whatever next! - Andrew-T
Rouge Traders ...

Nice one, Mr X. Jeweller's, I presume?
Motor Dealers, Dishonest? Whatever next! - Rattle
I know it is different as I don't have to cover my back so much but I would not never dream of ripping of a customer of telling a lie. A few times I have gone out to fix dead PCs and it has been that the RAM has been loose. The job takes 2 minutes to fix max. Customer has their PC back. Now I could easily lie and say you need a new motherboard but it would be a lie. Now what makes car dealers different?
Motor Dealers, Dishonest? Whatever next! - Lud
what makes car dealers different?

They are rich and important Rattle, and we aren't. But we have honour, and they don't.
Motor Dealers, Dishonest? Whatever next! - AF
Had a very similar experience at my main dealer last (25000 mile) service. "Pads 75% worn, won't last to the next service". "No thanks, I will keep an eye on them".

10,000 miles later, although from looking through the alloys there seemed to be plenty of pad left, I take it to the local independent for them to do the work. A call later that morning "why do you want the pads replaced as they are only 50-60% worn?"

Now what makes car dealers different? - bonzodog
I guess it's that from the moment you join the trade crooked practice is the norm - your colleagues do it, your boss does it, when you're with other dealers & suppliers they all talk & joke about it & you are expected to follow suit. If you challenge it you're not one of them & could be even sacked. Think Serpico but on a lower level.

I remember one job I had and I was asked to do something naughty, I objected & used the word "fraud". I was told not to "say the F word again or you're gone"; I complied but took copies for evidence if it ever came to anything.

But also the victims turn a blind eye which just encourages it. I'm not talking about retail customers but finance companies, manufacturers, warranty companies, customs & excise, insurance companies, parts suppliers etc etc

Sad, but's that the reality.
Brakes - Andrew-T
My brakes as they are quite spongy the first bit of travel not a lot happens ...

Have you tried changing your brake fluid, Rattle? Sounds as if it may be needed ...
Brakes - Number_Cruncher
In reply to Andrew-T;

I doubt it. Being quite a new driver, I suspect Rattle hasn't really got the feel of the car, and rather than using the pedal force as the feedback cue, he's relying upon gauging how far he's pressed the pedal. A few weeks ago, we heard a similar tale about the throttle pedal.

Rattle - as long as your brake pedal becomes firm long before it hits the floor, and the brake fluid has been changed in the last few years, you'll be OK.

Brakes - Rattle
Last documented bleed and change was in 2004. I have no idea if it has been changed since then but the brake fluid level is at max and it smells like brake fluid should do. As I have said when I did need to do an emergency stop a few weeks back my car stopped as I expected to but the pedal is still a bit spong. Three people have driven it in the past 400 miles

1) My dad who thinks the brake pedle has a lot of travel but he is onbly driven Fords since 2002.

2) My mate who has only even driven Fords full stop. He said my brakes scared him.

3) My mechanic who says there is nothing wrong them them.

4) Ted that reversed it out of his drive at about 10mph so would not have noticed anything anyway.

Edited by Rattle on 24/05/2009 at 03:13

Brakes - Andrew-T
Last documented bleed and change was in 2004. I have no idea if it has been changed since then ..

If the record is complete it may well need changing (recommended every 3 years). Brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water).
but the brake fluid level is at max and it smells like brake fluid should do

Well, it would do unless it has changed into something else.
Brakes - Dynamic Dave
If the record is complete it may well need changing (recommended every 3 years).

Vauxhall's recommendation is every 2 years, not 3.
Brakes - Andrew-T
Every 2 years, not 3.

I was being generous, DD. My personal opinion is that 3 years should be perfectly safe, and I bet there are plenty of cars out there with fluid a lot older than Rattle's - but not necessarily any safer for it. At least his reservoir is full ...
Dealer sinks to new low - zookeeper
I know its more advanced than it used to be but cars can still pass
the MOT even if the brakes are weaker than they were designed to be. My
question was how worn do the pads have to be to start to effect the
braking performance?
I've done 400 miles since I was told they were 75% worn.

Rattle, your missing the point...the pads are 75% worn in thickness only , the brake pad contact area is still 100% or near as damn it, so stop getting in a flap
Dealer sinks to new low - Pizza man
about 99.9% worn before the braking will suffer.
Dealer sinks to new low - the swiss tony
about 99.9% worn before the braking will suffer.

>>
Rubbish.... new pads are 10-15mm thick, and the friction material can start breaking up / separating from back plate at 2-3mm remaining.
also, the less friction material thickness, the more heat is transferred to the backplate, then piston, then brake fluid. worn pads plus old fluid equals brake fade / possible failure.
I once owned a Camaro. It'll be nice when we catch up...
>>
That would've taken SOME catching methinks.

MD
Dealer sinks to new low - Avant
"A few times I have gone out to fix dead PCs" (Rattle)

Next time we get one of those anti-police rants on here, Rattle, please come to the rescue..... :)
Dealer sinks to new low - Bill Payer
After its last service my Merc's brake disks were noted as corroded. My car is on a Mercedes service contract so I asked if they should be changed, and the Service Advisor lowered her voice and said "Mercedes Service won't let us change them for corrosion".

Wonder what I would have been told if I'd been a cash paying customer?

Service contracts are they way forward - my Merc has needed astonishingly litle servicing in the 4 years I've had it. Sure, they list all sorts of things that "need" doing when I take it in, but when I pick it up it turns out that, astonishingly, none of that work needing doing afer all. How marvellous!!
Dealer sinks to new low - oilrag
If it`s costing them though..and `savings` can be made - how do you know they`re not using the cheapest oil & filters they can get away with?
I mean, given that the dealer trade seems largely,institutionally `bent`

I`ve experienced (as mentioned before) a main dealer installing a cheap looking (scanty, uneven pleat) oil filter element at the first years service - with the much higher quality filter being sold to the public from the parts dept.

(bought several filters from two main dealers but never seen such a scrappy thing they installed themselves - as `manufacturer knows best` - servicing)

No one there would assume a punter to actually have the skill or temerity these days to expose their work - before the motor came back in for the second years warranty service.

I should have taken a photo - too late - but it was like comparing a tissue with a linen handkerchief.

I`m carrying the G600 all the time now - so expect photos if I see anything else ;-)

Edited by oilrag on 24/05/2009 at 11:32

I initially joined this esteemed forum owing to the fact I had my Almera serviced at a main dealer and when I examined my bill, I noticed they had included a tin of fuel treatment additive which I neither asked for, nor is it part of the service schedule.
Suspecting a "nice little earner" scenario, I had the car MOT'd by a well respected independent whereupon it duly failed on headlight aim.
On checking the service schedule, I noted it should have been checked so I wrote a stiff letter to the dealer principle who apologised like most profoundly and refunded the cost of the fuel additive + the MOT.
I have had the car serviced recently *by the same main dealer* not only for the dealers stamp, but also for (1) any recalls (2) genuine parts, and (3) factory trained *technicians*
They did advise me that the front pads are 70% worn - but will be ok until the next yearly service.
What I would like to say is - not all main dealers are curved, no more than all independents are honest Johns or, come to that - not all rouge traders are jewellers.
Dealer sinks to new low - Mr X
I never let the screen washer bottles of any of my small fleet get empty.
One of the reasons I dumped dealer servicing several years back is that they would insist in draining the screen washer bottles and refilling with a bottle of screen wash additive.... well thats what they must have been doing as a bottle appeared on every bill. !
not all main dealers are curved, no more than all independents are honest Johns or, come to that

Quite right perro. I was wondering whether to mention that for sheer idiocy and criminality, quite a lot of back-street operators outclass any main dealer however awful.
I`ve experienced (as mentioned before) a main dealer installing a cheap looking (scanty uneven pleat)
oil filter element at the first years service - with the much higher quality filter
being sold to the public from the parts dept.

>>

A former work colleague used to work at a main dealer. There was a customer who would bring his car in for a service and they were sure he worked for trading standards. Everything on the car was marked in such a way he could tell if work hadn't been done.
They always made sure he got a proper job done.
Dealer sinks to new low - tintin01
I mentioned this on a previous thread. My window jumped out of the holding slot, and I thought I could hear cruching so assumed the glass was broken. Took the car to the local Nissan dealer, cost £50 to diagnose it needed a new regulator and new glass (£72). Total cost £450. Took the car home with window taped up instead. Took door off - glass isn't broken, but wires on regulator were twisted. The guy had also incorrectly connected the child lock switch when he put the door back on. Dealers do tell lies sometimes.
Dealer sinks to new low - gmac
Doesn't really surprise me.
I have spent almost £1000 on brakes on my Volvo S60 in the first 2.5 years ownership. I bought the car at 24 months old, I have no idea how the previous owner(s) drove the car. If there is a problem now with the brakes I have almost £1000 worth of receipts to go back and hit the manufacturer with knowing my previous cars (FIAT and Peugeot) did not require this level of spend on brakes so the manufacturer must be fitting sub-standard equipment.
Dealer sinks to new low - Alby Back
Gee whiz gmac, I've spent just less than £1500 on my Mondeo estate on servicing and maintenance in total in the 4.5 years and the 130k miles I've had it. ( if you don't count tyres that is ) Won't be rushing to buy a V70 at that rate.....

;-)
Dealer sinks to new low - Hamsafar
I took my car in for a recall about a month ago, and they took the opportunity to do a 'free safety check'.
They said that the front brake pipes were perished and urgently needed replacing at a cost of £179. I declined their offer (to which the lady receptionist appeared aghast), and bought two new ones for £18 from Eurocarparts and came to do them yesterday and found that they were in perfect condition and PVC anyway, so couldn't have perished like rubber. They took 30 minutes tops using the crappy scissor jack on my drive.

Edited by Hamsafar on 24/05/2009 at 21:40

'free safety check'
'MOT only £30'
Hand over your wallet, passport and house keys
Dealer sinks to new low - rogue-trooper
I had this with my BMW at a dealership owned by them. Had the brakes changed at MOT by some (indy) dodgy geezer, and when a few months later was told that they needed changing I had a sense of humour failure and said that I would get trading standards on to the indy and if necessary get the money back in small claims court. The BMW dealer went a little quiet and said that it was advisory. That was nearly 20,000 miles ago and they do need changing now.
Dealer sinks to new low - Lucky 7
Re. BMW dealers - a mate of mine has an X5 and a 323i convertible and reckons the company are terrible to deal with. He's pretty handy and does most work himself - he wanted to change the ATF fluid on the X5 and, having quoted him £80 a litre for the fluid, they then flatly refused to tell him the specs so he couldn't buy it elsewhere.

The hood on his convertible then froze as rainclouds were gathering overhead - BMW wouldn't tell him the reset procedure and insisted he would need to book it in the next day at £100 minimum fee, despite the obvious damage that would cause. He managed to find it himself in the end by sitting there pressing buttons!
I wonder how many of them faults are programmed in too? :(

The only way to deal with bad dealers like that BMW is to just avoid buying BMWs.
Dealer sinks to new low - gmac
This is in response to Humph...

I would have doubts about a new V70 as its heavier than the S60.

420? at three years old for new front discs and pads, 520? at four and a half years old because the rear handbrake shoes had separated and locked the rear wheel. Luckily mine was parked in the garage when it locked the wheel, some owners have reported theirs locking up on the move causing ££££ damage to the rear suspension.

Edited by gmac on 25/05/2009 at 09:00

Dealer sinks to new low - Lucky 7

My dad took his 05 reg Celica to Toyota for an MOT and was presented with a £300 bill for warped front discs. He then pointed out that it had been in for a full service, at the same garage, in December 08 and nothing was mentioned - he gets a lift to work most days and had done less than 2k in it since. Toyota agreed to foot the bill, yet suddenly discovered the rear pads were low too and still got £200 out of him. Hmm...

I took my old Cavalier into Kwik Fit for new front pads a couple of years back, and their 'brake test' declared the front discs corroded and the rear shoes gone. I had only just got the car, but it came with a few receipts including one for new rear drums 6 months previously! Declined their advice, and it sailed through an MOT 11 months and 6k later.
While it was a great price (£35 fitted), the fitter also had to ring me to work out how to get the bonnet open (the plastic handle had snapped off but you just had to pull on the cable - clearly obvious) and didn't know the word 'caliper'...

EVERY I'll repeat EVERY dealer I have worked for or with in the past 25
has routinely indulged in crooked behaviour.

Well, my experience has been exactly the opposite. In 44 years of using franchised dealers exclusively for servicing I've never felt I'd been diddled ~ and I'm very picky. After I've had a car serviced. as soon as I get home I open the bonnet and also look underneath the car and check that everything is as I would expect. I was once charged for a small bottle of screenwash, but that was only because on that occasion I'd forgotten to specify "No screenwash, thankyou." when I booked the car in.
Dealer sinks to new low - Buster Cambelt
Sneakiest trick in recent years was attempted last year on SWMBO.

Wretched Toyota was delivered with (among other things) non functioning reversing light and boot light. SWMBO reported these at first warranty visit (about day three) and when she got the car back the job sheet had "not fitted to this model" written on it.

On the fourth or fifth warranty visit (within the first month) she was presented with a bill for replacement of bulbs in the reverse and boot lights.......

Interesting how Toyota got removed from my company's approved car list quite soon after!
Dealer sinks to new low - Andrew-T
Toyota got removed from my company's approved car list quite soon after!

Yes, but ... this only sounds like tarring with the proverbial brush. There will be 'good' and 'bad' dealers with any marque. The problem just now is that the dodgier ones may make better profits and will survive the lean period better. We must just hope enough good garages last out.
I bought an old banger from someone I knew as wife`s learner car. (as mentioned before)

Previous owner had it from new - for ten years it had been serviced by a largish `independent` - specialist in the marque .

Now, I knew this particular model inside out as not only had I owned one, but had passed it on to the Old Man and was still servicing it 15 years down line.

The car`s wad of receipts was revealing. They seemed to have `worked` through the entire car drumming up trade for themselves.
For example, twice all the shock absorbers had ALL been changed - all the brakes had been worked through(calipers AND drums) and everytime it was serviced there was a warning note about something else needing doing. I forget the detail, but it was systematic and they had been round everything possible at least twice.

The last `note` was that the clutch needed replacing again - I assessed it as being fine though and SWMBO really hammered that clutch learning to drive and kept it another 20,000 miles - still OK, no slip.

The engine was worn compared with the other (same make) I was looking after and it had low oil pressure - Can`t prove it but I bet they used the cheapest possible oil and filters.
(I knew it would be OK on 20w50 and that too was fine during our ownership)

The garage had worried the previous owner to death over years and generated extra work - yet they ignored the cambelt and let it snap. (I suspect to generate income as they gave warnings for other things that didn`t need doing)
At the point the owner had to get a loan to pay for it and had actually praised the garage for allowing her a few days to arrange it without incurring storage charges.

They had refitted an alternator drive belt that was literally hanging on by its outer cords. (no warning on that - a repair and tow in would be more profitable - no doubt.
They had also fitted a three quarters exhaust onto the most rotten looking front pipe - then fitted the clamp so it caught on the underside leading her to believe a further repair was required.

I got it for little and it did the job - having assessed the above into the price.

But talk about fleecing someone. I tried very diplomatically to tell her what had being going on - fearing her further contact with the garage - with her new car. Nothing doing - the sun apparently, shone out of their .......

This place is still there doing business today - and I suspect that in the early 90`s - the above was an indication of how they got through that particular recession.

Watch out!

Edited by oilrag on 25/05/2009 at 14:13

*** Can`t prove it but I bet they used the cheapest possible oil and filters. ***

I used to have my 240 GLT serviced by an indie and everytime I got it home, the oil light would take some time to extinguish + the engine would rattle on cold starts ... I'd replace the Vauxhall oil they used with Castrol, fit a genuine oil filter and it would run sweet - until the next service.

*** yet they ignored the cambelt and let it snap. ***

Absolutely criminal!!!

*** Watch out! *** caveat emptor!!
Dealer sinks to new low - ifithelps
Customers with little or no mechanical knowledge seem to be an easy target.

One shouldn't have to joust with a garage, but it seems to me if you let them know you know a little about the oily bits, your chances of being ripped off are decreased.

Trouble is, each car I buy has fewer and fewer bits I understand.

Also ( as mentioned)

The recent attempt by a Main Dealer to `double up` the full strip-down labour charge for a new water pump fitted as part of a new cambelt job.
I seem to remember it was an extra £130 - just in labour to fit the pump - despite it being revealed sitting there in all its naked glory by the cambelt strip.
I actually took that up with the receptionist and she said "the cooling system has to be re-filled". Another main dealer - next town - fitted it without additional labour charge on the cambelt job.

The same dealer that gave a doubled labour quote also wanted to charge £76 labour to fit a check strap - this was then dropped to £56 when challenged.
I did it myself following Haynes - stripping out the door trim - only to realize after that you could go in through the speaker housing and could literally be done in 5 minutes.

I suspect nothing has changed. As a teenager I worked for a week in what was then and is now, one of the premium main dealers in town.
I saw enough then from the inside, that ive been servicing our cars ever since.
Then, as now, there was trust and naivety from punters bringing in their expensive motors.

I`ve seen things missed, maladjusted and played around with by apprentices (who used to be nailed to the floor and have their private parts painted with underseal)

I actually heard an ex REME workshop foreman tell a customer that it was "Normal for a car to run worse after a service - it would settle down"
Bear in mind - that`s the 60`s so no computer to reset itself.

Cars were rifled through and samples and so on stolen from cars. It was all `normal` though and you not only had to keep your mouth shut - but there was an unspoken expectation that you would do the same.

A week was enough - out into education and so on - but the memory and insight sticks enough for glimpses of it all to be seen, now and then -in dealings with the dealer trade.

Of course walking now into a main dealer, i`m assumed to be some sort of `battery chicken` that has never seen anything, knows nothing - and just lays them eggs.

Dealer sinks to new low - Buster Cambelt
It's my company, it's my call. One bad Toyota dealer and the appalling Telfon coated shoulder sloping from Toyota Customer Services that resulted is quite enough.

We screw up and my customers tend to go elsewhere. Sometimes handling a complaint well can save the day but these days "customer services" tends to equate to "blame diversion".

Doubt that anyone at Toyota cared in the slightest but I do.
Dealer sinks to new low - Bill Payer
Yes but ... this only sounds like tarring with the proverbial brush. There will be
'good' and 'bad' dealers with any marque.

Well that's hard luck for the manufacturer if they don't do anything about it.
I've had a series of isues with the SEAT dealer looking after daughter's Ibiza and SEAT UK couldn't care less. They should be shocked by one of their cars failing MOT on multiple points at 4yrs old.
Not only will she she not be getting another SEAT, I've dismissed the whole VAG range.

Edited by Bill Payer on 25/05/2009 at 23:15

.......... "80% worn" ..........

80% of what? The thickness when new or the difference between this and the recommended minimum thickness?

I've just checked my front brake pads and they're down to 7mm. Assuming the new thickness to be 14mm and the recommended minimum thickness to be 2mm, I call them 60% worn ~ 7 gone out of 12 ~ not 50% worn. I would expect my dealer to say 60% as well. I''ll probably get them changed at 4 mm which some people might argue was only 70% worn but which I call 80%. I'm not going to risk my life for the sake of a few pounds.
And you see conflicting advice as usual. Half the people say at 80% worn the brakes are like new, others say they should be changed. It all seems to be a matter of opinion.
Pads are cheap enough Rattle. Why not just stick new pads in it and then you can forget about the issue - and go camping with that spring up tent.
;-)
Why not just stick new pads in it and then
you can forget about the issue

Agreed, Lockheed Delphi pads for my daughter's 106 were about a tenner, i should imagine Corsa about the same.

Brakes and tyres if nowt else i can't understand anyone quibbling.
Dealer sinks to new low - woodster
My Mother in law wanted her Polo serviced at a VW dealer for the stamp. I told them to do service items only, nothing else was authorised, write it down with a quote if you find anything else.

1) electric window not working-needs new motor they said
2) pair of tyres
3)pair of pads

total quote about £400.

Took the motor out and blew it out with an airline-fixed. Tyres and pads at an independent, about £130.

Can't stand main dealers and won't ever visit one and I have absolutely no sympathy for them in these times. They were quite happy to rake it in during the good times - hope they put some away for a rainy day.
Can't stand main dealers and won't ever visit one ...........

You're assuming that all franchised dealers are crooks and on the basis of my 44 years' experience I know that that is absolutely not true. My guess is that those who are crooks are a very very small proportion of the total. They're staffed by ordinary, honest, upright citizens, just like any other business. Is your employer crooked?

In any case, if you won't ever visit one how do you know what they're like?
I suppose its more likely to be 'taken to the cleaners' in a large town or city than in a rural area, where I come from in Sarth Eeast London, tradesmen are guilty until proven innocent, but here in Cornwall its t'other way round - ALL Cornwall is rural ... word soon gets around!
Dealer sinks to new low - Westpig
I suppose its more likely to be 'taken to the cleaners' in a large town
or city than in a rural area >>... word soon gets around!

that's very true.....and large chains don't provide the same quality of service as family owned outfits

when our cars were newer i'd have them serviced at a main dealer in the Westcountry, making a weekend of it, when the service was due. My car got to 6 years old and I was still happy to go to that main dealer. I stopped when they were bought out by a large chain, because the attention to detail and personal service went out the window.

I've found what I need now with an independent dedicated to my marque...and they're much cheaper. Don't understand why everyone doesn't do that when the warranty period has finished...there's enough forums/magazines and HJ's site to research the good and bad.
Dealer sinks to new low - ifithelps
When I worked for an independent in the 1970s/early 80s it never occurred to any of us to try and twist the customer.

We just did each job as we saw it and then moved on to the next one.

It was fair-sized rural garage with an MoT station and small bodyshop.

Doing the job right paid us all a reasonable wage and made a good living for the gaffer, so there was no need for ducking and diving.

Dealer sinks to new low - the swiss tony
Doing the job right paid us all a reasonable wage and made a good living
for the gaffer so there was no need for ducking and diving.

Hear Hear.... I believe in doing the right job, at the right price, at the right time.
once you start stitching the customers up, then they start leaving.....
dont take all the money you can today, you need the punters to come back to pay your wages tomorrow!
I'm in rural East Herts and my favourite dealer (not) is a small family owned VW franchise in Hare Street. Some bad experiences: once particularly interesting when they billed me for fixing the car but had to admit they didn't know what they'd done. 'Thought they'd give something a try' - it wasn't fixed. Ended up with some suit face to face with me and I'm 6'3 17 stone! Honestly, if ever I was going to assault someone for treating me like a ****, then the 5 foot nothing was asking for it! (I got my money back). Arguments over warranty claims-them trying to fob me off because it was close to the end of the 3 yrs. Yes, I've been into main dealers several times. Looking to buy my own cars and to buy Mother in Law's. never had a positive experience and never felt like a customer. Maybe it's my look! Only once purchased brand new as a result. I've always had the feeling they judge people on appearances and make a decision whether you can afford the goods or not. Books and covers and all that I suppose.
I'm 6'3 17 stone! I've always had the
feeling they judge people on appearances and make a decision whether you can afford the goods or not.

Ner ner. I'm heavier than you Woodster!! Yes they do do the book and cover thing as do most folk. If I ever hear a good report of a VW dealer anywhere I will report it here. Trust me I'm a Builder.

And I'm shorter. Life's just NOT fair.

Grrrrrrrrr....MD
You're obviously a thinking builder Martin: rare creature indeed. Rare shape too by the sound of it!! Honestly though, the stroppy MD was akin to the 17 yr old Friday night drunk that I'm oh so familiar with. I'll just taunt the old bill for 10 mins and ignore the advice to go home. Now I'll complain because I've been folded up into a small space...
You're obviously a thinking builder Martin: rare creature indeed. Rare shape too by the sound
of it!! Honestly though the stroppy MD was akin to the 17 yr old Friday
night drunk that I'm oh so familiar with. I'll just taunt the old bill for
10 mins and ignore the advice to go home. Now I'll complain because I've been
folded up into a small space...

I had to read that TWICE regarding the MD bit. Thought you'd gone 'orrible on me. Now I geddit!!

Cheers.....MD (The real one)
And I'm shorter. Life's just NOT fair.

Grrrrrrrrr....MD

Not much shorter though! and only a few Ounces over. Bit like the Butchers scales!!

MD
Sorry Martin - confusion with the MD!! The managing director!! Don't need your likes round 'ere.... never heard of plod and builders getting on!!
Don't need your likes round 'ere.... never heard of plod and builders getting on!!
>>
Dad was in the Met' for 28 years. Got on with them all. Great upbringing and the tales I could tell!! Had lots of fun etc. You guys get bad press today. Damned if you do/don't, but too be very fair I blame almost all of our ills on the Politically correct brainwashed folk. If the 'Dog' bites you give it a slap. If it bites you again, give it a whack. 3rd time unlucky dear 'Dog'. You get my drift. Did me no end of good.

Very best regards,

Martin.