What price Freedom? m/homes,caravans, hotels, boat - oilrag
I suppose we had better duck the latter.. but the 70ft narrow boat cruisers... You could just live on one, cruise down to London, get across the channel... whoops!!! lets discuss motoring....

I`m retired, but the boss is definately not - so it rules out disappearing into the blue yonder, whether that`s a boat, motorhome or caravan.

Tempted by Motorcaravans... but it would have to be a small one (multipurpose) - and the smaller (romahomes) don`t have showers - without a shower, whats the point? Sure days out and so on, but for the continent over a couple of weeks?

A caravan then? there`s room here, the tiny Freedom caravan is only 750kg and would easily be pulled by the 200nm of the van.
That said - nearly £9,000 for the Freedom would buy at least 100 nights in hotels. That`s around 10 years worth of hotel rooms, given that most of our holiday effort is visiting family in the far east.

A canal boat then? Another TENT....? Maybe not.. Still tempted by bikes - but.. but but...no.

Funny really how you have all the (possible) plans and so on, but continue the status quo..

Is it just me? have you actually suddenly bought a caravan (insert your own device) and enjoy it?
It`s the perception that it may have to be highly structured - bookings - that puts me off.

To be like a rabbit dashing from one burrow to another and hoping there`s room to get in. That the rabbits might be curtain twitcher rabbits assessing whether you should be in the C (cough) Club by your parking, grey slacks and cardigan or worse.
Such as being invited in and interrogated..
Actually Campanile is sounding better as I write - perhaps see you again on the French battlegrounds in September.

What price freedom though?

Thoughts? ;-)
What price Freedom? m/homes,caravans, hotels, boat - Rattle
A cheapo Gelert tend at £40 is the exact price of freedom :).

I do love the idea of a static carravan but they are far too pricy.
What price Freedom? m/homes,caravans, hotels, boat - captain chaos
Canal boats aren't cheap, oilrag.
Motorcaravans are ok but bear in mind that when you get to your destination, if you want to go in to town you have to up sticks, also many supermarkets and car parks have height/width restrictions.
A caravan would be a better bet, yes you could buy a lot of hotel accomodation but you do have your own little hotel room on wheels and can stay in bed all day if you want to.
I certainly enjoy the freedom and flexibility of a caravan (just wish I had more time off to enjoy it!) and caravanners are generally a helpful bunch, especially if you are a newbie. No snobbery either, doesn't matter if you roll up in a 30k Airstream or a £800 van off fleabay.
Only downside to caravanning is being held up by mimsers.... ;-)
What price Freedom? m/homes,caravans, hotels, boat - Sulphur Man
If money were no object, I'd have a motorhome tomorrow. Not one of those monstrous bungalow-on-wheels, just a mid-sized, plush 6-berth with all the trimmings and some choice extras.

No, I'm not nearing retirement, I'm late 30s, married, with an 18-month old daughter. The idea of three weeks with a decent motorhome 'doing' Europe sounds very, very appealing. No crappy air travel; no hauling luggage to-and-fro; no tantrums in public areas;
no waiting for a suitable table at a restaurant; a new landscape every day.

I've looked at the rental options, expensive to very expensive. Still, I might do it, one day.

Caravans though, I'd rather scrape my eye across a brick.

Edited by Sulphur Man on 22/05/2009 at 18:39

What price Freedom? m/homes,caravans, hotels, boat - Hector Brocklebank
Some interesting ideas you have there, oilrag. Caravans may be widely vilified by the modern motoring enthusiast but I, for one, have always had something of a soft spot for them. I think that the caravan offers an extension of the freedoms offered by the motorcar, that may be an outdated view but that was certainly the appeal in days gone by. Where the early motorist would often have a daytrip out into the country, the early caravaner could venture further and explore that bit more due to having accommodation on tow.

As a man in your position you may have watched the recent documentary on BBC4 about the rise of Britain's love affair with the caravan. It appears there was a definite shift in attitude towards caravaning that occurred during the 60's and 70's. The traditional way of exploring the world at your leisure and pitching up anywhere was superseded by the large caravan parks we know today, no doubt rising popularity caused this. Doesn't have the same appeal, does it?
What price Freedom? m/homes,caravans, hotels, boat - Lud
I don't object to the existence of caravans but I don't want to tow one or be held up by one. I don't like lumbering campervans either, big or small. Indeed I don't see why a mobile home needs to be identifiable as such at all.

A plain long-chassis Mercedes Sprinter with the biggest available engine and the highest available axle ratio would be all right though. Everything in the back low down, lightweight and of course properly secured. Flush skylights and a disguised periscope.

No one need ever know.

What price Freedom? m/homes,caravans, hotels, boat - Pugugly
"disguised periscope"

Sort of a cross between a Q boat and an U Boat ?
Sort of a cross between a Q boat and an U Boat ?

I was thinking of a blacked-out mushroom thingy, like the more discreet sort of cctv camera. Of course you could have one of those in there too. And radar. Just poke the thing up through the roof when you park.
The canal boat appeals most actually, but no good if not both retired - not much `motoring` in distance along the canal system even in a fortnight.

The problem I have is actually deciding to go for something - and i`m writing specifically about motoring and accommodation.

Yep, Rattle, I bought one of those tents and it`s still an option- maybe.. more likely maybe not. Too many memories of wet fields in northern France. But good memories of camping on the South coast - you ought to try it, it`s great.

I reflect on these things and have even been to look at a few bikes, but...;-)

Yes, re caravans - the Freedom caravan would be fine actually and although it seems not what it was re being free to park anywhere, it`s the thought of clutch wear and so on. Too much reflecting on things like that, it`s a decision killer ;-)

Edited by oilrag on 22/05/2009 at 19:12

What price Freedom? m/homes,caravans, hotels, boat - doctorchris
As the nephew and part-time mechanic to a couple of pensioners with a penchant for motorhomes, I would say, "don't do it!".
These vehicles are based on vans that are designed to clock up mega miles in a few years then fall apart.
Instead, they clock up hardly any miles over years and years and consequently develop all sorts of annoying and expensive mechanical faults.
In addition, they hold their values to a ridiculous level and, as well as the mechanical faults, they develop "household" faults with plumbing, electrics, etc. that can be almost impossible to sort out.
Buy a nice car and drive from hotel to hotel or, if you must, campsite to campsite.
The narrowboat is a nice idea but doesn't make a very sensible channel-crossing vessel.
Big capacity motor-bike (touring rather than sports - torque and fuel economy bias) tent and the road is yours.
"Big capacity motor-bike"

Any motorbike would do ;-0

I`m still attracted to dry sump Triumph twins.. Don`t know why because I have memories of finding top dead centre by inserting a notched pencil in the plug holes...

"penchant for motorhomes, I would say, "don't do it!".

I know, that`s how i see it too. It`s all rhetorical as I couldn`t even force myself to buy a car, let alone a luxury one.

Trapped by personality attributes - you can but peer out ;-)
What price Freedom? m/homes,caravans, hotels, boat - ForumNeedsModerating
Why not consider a folding caravan or trailer tent. These come in various degrees of size & functionality. The advantage is that you're not much bigger than a large-ish trailer & always have the option of camping (although they're more like caravan level than tent level) or 'hotelling' when the mood takes. They store when not in use fairly unobtrusively & would even 'fit' in a hotel car-park for a multi-accommodation type holiday (or when you want shower!)

What price Freedom? m/homes,caravans, hotels, boat - b308
We started off with a canal boat... but found it too restricing, unless you are retired and can spend a long time on board then you tend to be limited to within a fairly close range of your main mooring, and there's only so many times you can do the same run up and down the canal before it gets boring... some people like doing that, but not me, I'm more adventurous!

Statics, for us are a no-no... same place every year for years? Zzzzzzzz...

Motorcaravans? Never keen on them, I'd rather have a decent diesel car and caravan, costs less to run and much more flexible than a motorcaravan...

We got a caravan after the boat and travelled all over England, Wales and Scotland with it and found it very enjoyable... but £9k for a Freedom? Is that really how much they are, Oilrag?? Personally I'd get as decent secondhand one for about £3/4k... Which is what we did, an Eccles Amythyst... But my wanderlust got the better of me and I wanted to travel Europe... Now you can do that with a caravan, but if you want to go any distance it takes time, a lot of it, and two week breaks can become tiresome, and foreign sites don't tend to be as cheap as CLs are over here...

So, back in 1999, we went Self Catering, which is where we still are now - We've done the Czech Republic, Holland, Belgium, some of Germany, Luxembourg and much of Northern France... we tend to book a place online and even with the current rubbish exchange rate its still as cheap as S/C over in the UK... and a house/flat is a lot more pleasent than canvas/caravan when you get in from sightseeing...

Personally, if I was travelling the UK again, I'd seriously consider a 13' 2 berth caravan, but for travelling abroad I'd throroughly reccomend self catering houses/cottages/flats - just make sure you get as many piccies of the place as possible!
Here`s the Freedom.

tinyurl.com/o2qwzz

I had also been perusing the Doblo (yes really) `motorhome` by Danbury just north of Newcastle believe.. But £20,000 ?

While the Romahomes come in around £26,000.....

I`ve seen even 15 year old desperately rusty old motor-homes going for around £10,000
Seems amazing really as the basic van body beneath a lot of these would fetch only scrap value.

We live in a poor position really too, certainly if we lived south of London and not a days drive down to Dover from Yorkshire - we would likely have a caravan.

Of course there are the ferries from Hull, but i just can`t bring myself to pay the price when Sea France often does an under £60 return to Calais.

Woodbines, A folder would be on the drive and it never stops raining around here.

Edited by oilrag on 22/05/2009 at 20:45

Blimey! They used to be the cheap end of the market as well! I'd stick with what I said before, if it was a 'van for UK use I'd settle for a good 2 berth 13' early 90s one for £3/4k, those Freedoms are overpriced... I looked at a 2 berth when I had the Fabia and you could get one with an all-up weight of below 1000kg which most modern superminis would be able to tow no problems...

Going to Europe I'll stick with self catering...

Re the folder, the roof covers everything when its folded down so rain shouldn't cause it any problems... you could always get a cover for it as well... we used to store ours in a barn on a farm nearby over the winter, btw.

You've also given me the other reason I nevre went for motorhomes... they are too expensive!

Edited by b308 on 22/05/2009 at 21:03

What price Freedom? m/homes,caravans, hotels, boat - perro
>>> A plain long-chassis Mercedes Sprinter with the biggest available engine and the highest available axle ratio would be all right though. Everything in the back low down, lightweight and of course properly secured. Flush skylights and a disguised periscope. <

What a thoroughly spiffing idea! I tried a Motorhome some years back when I had some of the green folding stuff - I bought a Hymer, proper one like - with the merc engine ... absolutely hated the thing!
I've orften thought of doing what Brother Lud has suggested ... I've even thought of signing it up with something like Billy's sawdust supplies or Fred's fresh fish :)
... Like the periscope idea mucho!
What price Freedom? m/homes,caravans, hotels, boat - Alby Back
There were some enterprising young ladies who used to park their unmarked Transit vans at Leith docks on fine evenings apparently. Once inside, it was alleged that they were very comfortably appointed......
>>> Don`t know why because I have memories of finding top dead centre by inserting a notched pencil in the plug holes... <<<

I did that with a Biro on a Mrk3 2000GXL Cortina once - The top came orf the damn pen, I wasn't going to take the head off so I started it up (bang, bang, bang.) gave it a run and it burnt orf and was ok afterwards I think (customers car!)
enterprising young ladies

Great minds think alike innit HB?
What price Freedom? m/homes,caravans, hotels, boat - Martin Devon
Once inside it was alleged that they were very
comfortably appointed......

Leather or Velour??

MD
Thank you perro. I was beginning to think everyone wanted to puff around in a top-heavy, fussy and perhaps hugely expensive touristy-looking thing that you just expect to be badly and obstructively driven, and no one would like my idea of the invisible express motorhome - zap across Europe at 100, stop wherever you want and be completely invisible.

'Whassat van then Fritz?'

'Dunno. It's nearest the dry cleaners. Might be theirs. Or the sausage shop's perhaps.'
You could have the periscope descending in reverse, though the centre of the floor - just the job to see if any of the grease on the brake lines needs re-doing..

Actually, there was a three year old high top Ducato van going for £6,000 at a dealers a few months back. Only 40,000 miles and VAT paid too. I really thought about that - just putting a double bed in the back in a four poster style with drapes...

What price Freedom? m/homes,caravans, hotels, boat - Alby Back
There was a time when my wife and I would go away for weeks on end. Touring all over the hotter bits of Europe armed with nothing more than a Westfield, a credit card and a holdall. Seems like a lifetime ago now.
What price Freedom? m/homes,caravans, hotels, boat - ifithelps
I bought the static in leafy North Yorkshire nearly three years ago.

Didn't know what to expect, but it's worked out well.

I think some people buy them too far away - mine's 40-odd miles from work and 50-odd from home.

Friday night, leave work at a reasonable time and crack the first can not long after 6pm.

I view my static as a weekend home, so I live in bricks and mortar for five days a week and in a tin box for the other two.

It would feel restricting now to have to go back to staying in the same place all week.
Park with your loo outlet over a drain of the right sort, with a hose to some nearby kind person's yard tap for water supply and you could have a shower and sink and so on without the need for anything very huge by way of a water tank.

You might have to do the occasional runner if the LA didn't like excrement going into their sewers, but those Sprinters do march along.

You could carry a pan of batteries and charge them while, er, charging about.
I was thinking of a Victorian bath with eagle claw feet - only to be filled and used when stationary - then pulling the plug going down the Mall.. as well as..

>> only to be filled and used when stationary

That might be sound policy, yes. But the police report of a high-speed motorway crash involving someone taking a bath in a Victorian cast-iron job with eagle claw feet would make interesting reading.
periscope descending in reverse, though the centre of the floor - just the job to see if any of the grease on the brake lines needs re-doing..

I hadn't thought of that oilrag (although we should all have known that you would)... I agree the feature is necessary though, for surveillance of anyone who has slipped under the high-level radar...

:o}
swmbo just said (she speaks now & again, either that or I haven't taken my anti-psychotics!) it would be nice to have a little camper van (with elevating roof) ya don't need to go far in Britain to find a 'beauty spot'
I'm going back a few years but - I always liked the ole Bedford Cf with the 2.3 engine, ya could shoot orf on Friday evening to Sunday ... now there's an idea!
I always liked the ole Bedford Cf
with the 2.3 engine ya could shoot orf on Friday evening to Sunday ... now
there's an idea!

Old converted Ambulance?

I nearly got one for £800 when I was 20!
I'm going back a few years but - I always liked the ole Bedford Cf
with the 2.3 engine ya could shoot orf on Friday evening to Sunday ... now
there's an idea!

That ole sloping 2.3 engine WOULD pull Granny off of anything.

I've still got some rear brake shoes somewhere for the cf2 van.........any takers??

MD
Going through Westminster and past the houses of Parliament - the van would automatically `flip` and start claiming road tax as a Sinclair C5.
The plug for the Victorian bath would then be billed to the citizens of Pontefract.
citizens of Pontefract.

Let them eat cake.
What price Freedom? m/homes,caravans, hotels, boat - pmh2
The problem with a caravan is a psychological one. Most people who stay in a caravan try to live ' in' it, but with camping you live outside, and sleep in the the tent. Give me a tent every time.

The same constraints apply to a motor home, except it is even worse because once you have stopped, you cannot just get up and go out for a meal. Unless you have packed a couple of mopeds or a big bike on the rack at the back.

The trailer tent maybe an option, with possibly the best of both worlds but with a greater cost of trial.

The e r ection issue is not a problem. If it is raining just treat is a tho you are enroute an book into a hotel.

We used to camp and hotel en route over western Europe. I used to describe camping as like staying in a hotel, but more expensive! However to find a hotel that offered large pools, tennis courts and child minding on site would have been very expensive.

Having a second home in france has certain advantages, but some times it seems a little restrictive as I like to make use of it for about 50% of the year. It becomes difficult to justify going else where.

p

Edited by pmh2 on 22/05/2009 at 22:02

What price Freedom? m/homes,caravans, hotels, boat - Clanger
We have a caravan. At one stage when we were a family of 6, we went all over the country and to France; away nearly every weekend. The children enjoyed the experience; exploring a new farm, swimming in a French camp-site pool or flying a kite on a different beach suited them and us. We're off to Wooler next week to meet up with the wife's sister and parents. Later this year, we expect to travel to Western France and look at an Alp, having stopped near Paris. Mrs H gets annoyed if I pull in for a queue and curses, "No other PFDer ever pulls over for me when I'm stuck behind a PFDing caravan; why should you? (Glares at me).
PS I didn't make the 50 mph speed limit for towed vehicles.

Campervans? Not on your life. When you've just arrived, unpacked everything and then need to go out for supplies; what then? Even the best laid plans etc... Naturally, your motorhome (or RV) would have a Smart car or somesuch on the back, but that's just as mad as towing a caravan, isn't it?

Canal boat. Have had great holidays on them, but I wouldn't like to own one and I certainly wouldn't attempt a Channel crossing in one.

Small trailered sailing vessel. Stepfather had one. I went on a couple of courses and mastered the basics of getting about but it takes such bloomin' ages to get anywhere. It would do about 8 knots with the spinnaker set and you got a great view of the grey Bristol Channel and the gulls but it was a lengthy toil making distance .

Tenting. Done that, but it was a faff to erect especially if there was weather about.

Motor-bike and a few days away in bed-and-breakfasts. Good fun if you don't travel too far otherwise Mrs H gets irritable with the pillion seat and cramped legs. There's the intercom to discuss the passing scenery. I heartlessly tell Mrs H to only speak when absolutely necessary as her conversation uses up the battery, heh heh. We're off to Harrogate to stepbrother's combined birthday and wedding at the weekend. Looking forward to making a bit of progress down the A61, a road I know well.

I'd really like Mrs H to do the towing and for me to travel separately on the bike but that may never happen.
I'd really like Mrs H to do the towing and for me to travel separately
on the bike but that may never happen.

Why don't you suggest it to her Buddy while we go and don tin hats, hey hey!

Bombs away...........MD
>>> You could carry a pan of batteries and charge them while, er, charging about. <<

Phew! you had me worried there for a minute, I thought you were going to suggest plugging into municpal street lighting which is strictly verbotem and a criminal offence.