01 2.0T Intermittent brake judder/wheel wobble - DP
I changed the pads and discs on the S60 at the last service. After about 1500 miles on the new discs, I started to get an intermittent shake on the steering when braking from speed. This can be quite violent at times, yet other times (this morning for example) I braked from 70 mph on a slip road and the wheel remained completely undisturbed.

This is also accompanied sometimes by what I can only describe as a "pulsed" braking effect, most noticeable when braking gently at very slow speeds (i.e. <10 mph). There is no wobble or pulse through the pedal, but the braking effort seems to get stronger and weaker a couple of times a second, the frequency slowing down with road speed.

The brakes themselves seem otherwise normal in their effort, and in terms of things like pedal travel and feel. Driving to work this morning, there seemed to be nothing wrong at all, yet I could brake from motorway speeds tonight and almost have the wheel taken out of my hands. It really seems intermittent and random.

Car has done 144,000 miles, and doesn't seem to have any other symptoms. The 6,000 mile old front tyres are wearing evenly, and there's no noise from the front suspension that I am aware of. MOT was done in January (6k ago) and no advisories or issues with brakes or suspension noted.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
DP
01 2.0T Intermittent brake judder/wheel wobble - craig-pd130

Couldn't be the tyres tramlining on irregular surfaces, could it?

I have Michelin Pilot Premacys (factory fit) on the Mondeo and they tramline summat rotten over road joints, white lines etc at both low (20-ish) and higher (60-odd) speeds.

Sometimes it is strong enough to alter the trajectory of the car before I'm able to correct. The tread pattern has several deep grooves which run round the circumference of the tyre and I believe this causes the issue.

If not, perhaps a slightly sticking brake caliper on one side?
01 2.0T Intermittent brake judder/wheel wobble - Woodspeed
Had a problem on a Honda Civic like this. Sometimes would judder down (quite violently), others smooth as silk. Turned out it was the pads jamming on the pins. Cleaned all, copper grease, new pads and not happened again.
Thanks guys.

Definitely not tramlining, as it's a prominent shake on the wheel. The car tracks OK, but it's like having a front wheel out of balance.

Woodspeed - I might try stripping it all down this weekend and cleaning / copper greasing. Thanks for the suggestion. Now you mention it, the brakes are a little squealy at times too.

Cheers
DP
01 2.0T Intermittent brake judder/wheel wobble - Lud
It's possible you have two faults, not one DP.

The pulsing in braking effect may be coming from the rear. Something to do with holding the pedal down, or applying the handbrake, after braking from high speed causing a warp; or car having been left for a while resulting in uneven light rust patches on the discs. That can happen with drum rear brakes too.

The steering shake sounds mysterious, because it is sporadic. I would be looking carefully at the state of all bushes, rubbers and ball joints in the front suspension and steering. Rubber bushes can be more or less completely shot and still look OK externally. Old or damaged dampers can also cause hard-to-trace problems of that sort.
01 2.0T Intermittent brake judder/wheel wobble - kris.imac
Sorry to interrupt on this forum, i have send you a question about datatool stealth alarm problem-would like to disable it in the same way as you did.

Regards

Kris
Kris - I've sent a response to the other thread. Sorry for the delay.

Very good point about the pulsing being from the rear. It could well be!

I think I'll treat the old girl to some TLC this weekend. Jack up, wheels off and have a good nose looking for disc out of true (inc rear) or any obvious bush wear or play where they shouldn't be.

Thanks all

DP
01 2.0T Intermittent brake judder/wheel wobble - prm72
Just out of interest DP, i've noticed that some firms selling front pads for the S60 ask you if the car has 15/16" or 17" wheels and sell different pads for these sizes but Volvo genuine pads just say one size fits all from 2000 onwards, i'm confused.