Saab/GM/Fiat 1.9 diesel engine: Reliability? - J James
Hi

I'm considering buying a nearly new SAAB 9-5 with the 1.9 Diesel engine. I've heard a few stories - perhaps apocryphal - about water pumps and engines being wrecked. Does anyone have any first-hand experience of this happening? I've read that the engine performs well. How about the 2.3T petrol engines?

Thanks in advance

J
Saab/GM/Fiat 1.9 diesel engine: Reliability? - woodster
No first hand experience but check the car by car breakdown on the website. Not sure what the source of the info is, maybe HJ can state where it actually comes from.
Saab/GM/Fiat 1.9 diesel engine: Reliability? - PR {P}
1st hand experience here. Got that engine in a Bravo. Its done 44k now with 1 issue, which was a sticky EGR valve, replaced under warranty. Not sure how many water pumps have failed, bear in mind its a very common engine. I might change it with the belts before the recommended interval (90k!) to be on the safe side.

Regularly returns 50mpg and goes like a train. Its a lot smoother than the 140BHP PD Golf engine aswell.
Saab/GM/Fiat 1.9 diesel engine: Reliability? - DP
A friend has just had turbo failure / engine runaway on his 56 reg Vectra CDTi 150 at 32,000 miles. Engine is scrap, and Vauxhall are fitting a new one under warranty, and have been brilliant. It's apparently very unusual.

The Saabs at work seem to do their 100k / 3yr stints on the fleet without missing a beat, and anecdotally you don't hear many horror stories, especially considering this is one of those engines like the Pug/Ford 2.0 which crops up all over the place.
Thanks for your replies. I suppose as you say PR, it is a common engine. Any more experience of this engine or car would be gladly received!

J
Saab/GM/Fiat 1.9 diesel engine: Reliability? - TheOilBurner
On mine the swirl valve actuator failed at something like 37k miles. Total bill to fix was about £800, thankfully under warranty.

Other than that, mine was fine up to 50k when I sold it.
Saab/GM/Fiat 1.9 diesel engine: Reliability? - redviper
On mine the swirl valve actuator failed at something like 37k miles. Total bill to
fix was about £800 thankfully under warranty.
Other than that mine was fine up to 50k when I sold it.

Yes my mate had the same problem on his Astra, fitted with the same engine, replaced under warranty ? had no other issues though.
Saab/GM/Fiat 1.9 diesel engine: Reliability? - TheOilBurner
Luckily, they usually do fail under warranty, haven't yet head of one failing twice either. I wonder if the problem has been fixed on later versions?
Saab/GM/Fiat 1.9 diesel engine: Reliability? - Collos25
Fiat produced engine many tales of engine problems on the alfa forums the 2.2 is supposedly a much better unit.
Saab/GM/Fiat 1.9 diesel engine: Reliability? - Jonwm {P}
I'm currently running a 2005 Saab 9-3 with the 1.9 (150) since reaching 100k I have had alot of issues, the EGR Valve failed, Inlet Manifild siezed, Oil crank Seal leaking, this was all fixed by the very unhappy lease company at the last service, 300 miles later the waterpump failed, luckily the cam cover held the belt on until I could stop, it was hanging on by a thread at the end.
All this happened at around 110,000 miles, now sat here and its on 112,100 no more problems....
My lease company are deperate for my company to give this back, they say that they tend to get a bit expensive after 100k.
I drive alot of miles and other than normal servicing, no other major trouble. Still performs as it did the day i got it.

Edited by Jonwm {P} on 14/05/2009 at 14:54

Saab/GM/Fiat 1.9 diesel engine: Reliability? - brettmick
Did 70k miles in my 2005 Saab 9-3 150 and the only faults were the EMU putting me in limp home mode for no reason (fixed by filling up with Diesel...?) and the fuel pump was weeping a tad just before it went back.

Computer said average speed of 42 MPH and average MPG of 51 over about the 40k miles that I ran the trip computer between resets.
Saab/GM/Fiat 1.9 diesel engine: Reliability? - Marc
"How about the 2.3T petrol engines?"

I personally would go for this if your mileage allows it. Proper SAAB engine and also has a chain instead of a belt (unlike the FIAT 1.9JTD).

I also like the 9-5 and have seen some great prices on facelift 2.3T Aeros - you always get more bang for your buck on petrol these days.
Thank you for all your replies. I think I'll give the diesel a miss. The only problem with the 2.3 T petrol is the road tax which is in the £400 band. (That's the auto - can't seem to find a reasonably priced manual)

J