03 1.4 Noise From Engine - ollie1989
hi people, im new to this site, and have a slight problem.

Two months ago i bought a ford fiesta 03 plate, with 30,000 on the clock, after a few weeks i noticed a sound coming from the engine that sounded like there was a horse around my car, at first it was really quiet and not really noticable, but then it got progressivly louder.

Recently i was returning home from a day out when i went down a hill and put my foot down to pull up the other side and all my power just dissapeared, then my engine light came on. so i pulled up gave it 5 or 10 minutes then started up again and as i did this the engine was misfiring. so i rang a recovery firm and i was taken to my ford garage. I then explained my problem to garage left it with them for an hour, they then rang me back and explained my coil pack had gone, my oxygen sensor had gone and also my spark plugs and leads also needed replacing. i had the work done and the sound had gone when i picked it up, but the next day it was back?!? it seems to be louder when the engine is warm,

does any one have any ideas as im begining to think its something serious?
03 1.4 Noise From Engine - Bentleyboy
Ollie, take it back to the garage, is it a knocking sound or a neying? (sorry had to ask)
Most engine knocks are not good fella, hows your oil?
03 1.4 Noise From Engine - TurboD
Like most of us, the garage is guessing at the problem and doing the easy bits first- this costs you of course.
I have never heard a car noise decsribed in that way before, I find a 'horse noise' very hard to imagine as I do not deal with horses- cars and motorbkes .
Is there a air rushing sound?, leaking maniflods etc?, have you been in touch with previous owner, this could be why they sold it- worth a check if possible.
If the miles are genuine there should be very little wrong with the car, it is a well proven item and the stuff you have had done already should be years down teh line in my experience.
when i put horse noise i meant horse shoes as in a horse walking near the car, a cross between a nocking and a squeeking. its hard to describe the sound without you hearing it your self.
i checked the oil 2 weeks ago and it was about half way up my dipstick. but the other day when it lost the power when i pulled up there was none. i put some more in before the recovery guy picked me up so its been in a while now. so i dont no.
03 1.4 Noise From Engine - piston power
O dear it's curtains for that engine.

No oil worn big end bearings and can lead to a seized engine.

Did you tell the recovery guy there was no oil & the garage?

There is no excuse for not checking the oil regular.