1.6 HDi FAP/DPF reliability - k9dan
Local dealer has a nice 55 plate 1.6 hdi lx estate, 38k miles, salesman nice guy but not up to speed on the particulate filters. looking at the forum most problems seem with older models with 2.0 Hdi engine. Does the 1.6 have a FAP/DPF? Does it need the special additive replaced at big bucks, or is it self cleaning with no additive. The company I work for has a fleet of Focus's I think same engine no problems with them. I would prefer a petrol cause of the DPF issues, or is this model alright for this. It is the newer shape with the nice front. Is the LX standard suspension or hydraulic? I really like the C5 estate but the diesel reliability makes me think twice.
1.6 HDi FAP/DPF reliability - 3T
I am guessing citroen Picasso ? If I'm right , 2 versions of the 1.6 , a 90 and 110 bhp . The 90 has no dpf but 110 has . If the exhaust tailpipe is straight , it is the 90 , if it points down it is the 110 with dpf .
1.6 HDi FAP/DPF reliability - 3T
Ignore me ! Just re read title , my info prob doesn't apply to anything other than picassos
1.6 HDi FAP/DPF reliability - Jamesh266
I think prior to the 2008 "unmistakeably German" C5, only the 2.2 and some 2.0 HDI engines had the DPF fitted. It will definitely have hydraulic suspension. Conventional suspension is only available on the post 2008 models.

My 2004 2.0 HDI had no particulate filter, and no reliability problems over 90000 miles apart from a failed hand brake, caused by the dealer forgetting to clip the cables in properly after changing the brake pads. It also needed a rear wheel bearing replaced for the MOT when it was four years old.

My current 2004 2.2 HDI has a particulate filter, and this has not caused me any problems - I think they're only troublesome if the car spends most of its time in traffic jams or pootling about slowly. My heavy right foot has helped here I think.

The rest of the car has been troublesome but has never left me stranded. I bought it with 42000 miles on it 9 months ago - it now has 57000 miles. In the time I have owned it, it has needed new front suspension spheres (which required four visits to the garage to get fixed), a couple of new bits of trim, a rheostat thing on the climate control (three trips to the garage to fix) , a plastic widget on the inlet manifold needed replacing, and while I was replacing that I found it also has a very small oil leak.

1.6 HDi FAP/DPF reliability - Ben79
The C5 1.6 HDI does have a FAP.

I recently bought a C5 2.2 twin turbo HDI as an upgrade for an older C5 2.0 HDI without FAP.

I've read a lot about them and have come to the conclusion that you need to use good diesel, get the engine warm and occasionally drive it like an italian to avoid problems with the filter.

Also, I'd only put complete tanks of fuel in to save full measures of additive being added to part tanks as it is very expensive.

Keep driving and enjoying it.
1.6 HDi FAP/DPF reliability - craig-pd130

also, based on experience with my Mondeo with DPF, aim to keep the revs in the peak torque range (around 1,800 - 2,500rpm), this may mean using a gear lower than you might normally do (3rd gear instead of 4th in 30 limits, for example).

It keeps the exhaust gas temps higher (helping regeneration), and is kinder to the motor than lugging a high gear at low rpm.
1.6 HDi FAP/DPF reliability - boxsterboy
The 1.6HDI in the facelifted Mk1 C5s is the same PSA/Ford engine that is found in the Focus.
1.6 HDi FAP/DPF reliability - davidh
I wouldnt worry about it.

They respond well to cleaning as you can strip the filter apart and blast it through with a jet washer.