Astra Drive Belt - Fitting Problems? - HF
Hello, thanks to HJ's wisdom and Volvoman's brute strength, I have located the broken drive belt on my Astra 1.7d, and bought another one. Apparently it's quite easy to fit - Volvoman's words not mine. But I need a little advice before attempting this. Under the bonnet, there's 2 sort of pulley things that it looks like the belt should go on. Looks like I have to unscrew a screw and push something along so that the belt will fit over the pulleys. The lower pulley has room for 2 belts, so I'm not sure which groove to put the belt on. And after putting it on, I will have to push back the thing I pushed forward before, do I need special equipment to do this, to get the right tension, or will my girly muscles suffice? Not sure yet if I need to ask anything else.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this.
Helpless.
PS I don't suppose can ask this seat about leaking-toilet-problems, even though in a way it is driving-related, since it is driving me mad.
seat? meant site!
Astra Drive Belt - Fitting Problems? - bernie
Ask away !
Astra Drive Belt - Fitting Problems? - lezebre
You're going to tackle it yourself? Respect!

That's a fairly chunky piece of machinery.
I'll leave the advice to someone who knows this engine, but watch out for skinned knuckles in the very likely event of the spanner slipping. You might be able to wear gardening gloves, because this particular job is more about brute force than precision.

ps. dripping overflow pipe on the outside wall, or something more unmentionable?
I'm going to TRY to tackle it myself - possibly a completely different scenario to the one you mentioned! But thanks, I'll bear the gardening gloves in mind to protect my precious little mitts - As for the brute force, all I'll need to do is to think about the day I've had today, and I think the necessary aggression will come to the fore! Didn't realise I needed a spanner, by the way, will have to invest in one in the morning!

Thank god, the loo prob isn't of the unmentionable kind, although my language was when I saw all the damage that's been done to the floor underneath! It WAS the overflow, but the overflow pipe is leaking on the inside of the house, hence the damage. Think I've cleverly adjusted the screw thing inside the cistern to stop the problem, but what can I use around the plastic pipe to stop it leaking? - seems to leak where there's a screw, and also where 2 parts of pipe just fit into each other.

Thanks LeZebre and Bernie!
Astra Drive Belt - Fitting Problems? - Richard J
Take a look at site netrep.dk/GB/indexGB.htm

This site was recommended by backroomer David W (I think)

Click on 'service' button followed by 'drivebelts' and you will find all the info. you should need.

With regard to the double pulley; use the groove in line with your alternator pulley. You can check with a straight edge if not sure. The other groove is not always used but check that there are no other 'spare' pulleys - but most unlikely to have 2 belts fail at same time.

p.s netrep site worth a look even for all you experts. ;-)
Wow, thanks Richard, will definitely take a good look at that site!

And thanks for the pulley info too, this site is brilliant!

Helpless.
Astra Drive Belt - Fitting Problems? - Mondaywoe
Looks like your overflow pipe has just been pushed into it's connectors. These pipes should be 'glued' together with the correct adhesive for PVC. Ask at a plumber's merchants or even B&Q - they'll sell you the right stuff. Then pull everything apart and glue together. Make sure everything's dry before you start.

You'll also have to make sure the water is being cut off at a level just below the top of the overflow pipe in the cistern. Most ballcocks nowadays can be adjusted. If adjusting doesn't work, the valve might be faulty. New washer needed maybe or just a bit of grit stuck.

Good luck! Sorry to go off topic!

Graeme
C5, I'm sorry to have taken this off-topic too, (will try not to do it again cos don't want to get banned!) but this is still great advice!

Once my car's working (see at least a reference to motoring!) I'll go and get the PVC I need, and do as you say.

I seem to have managed to get the water cutting off just below the top of the overflow pipe, by the way.

Thanks again,
Helpless.
Astra Drive Belt - Fitting Problems? - volvoman
Whoooooooooosssshhhhhhh - in flew VOLVOMAN at that very minute - he'd been doing his homework you see and thought he might just have got it sussed (with a little help from 'Roger the Dodger'). Would HFD see sense and ring him in the morning ? He'd wait for her call and be over in a flaaashhh !
Stay tuned for the next installment of Volvoman and the Helpless Female Driver.
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Volvoman, appearing out of the heavens just in time to save the world! Well, to save HFD anyway! Would be very grateful for any superhero assistance that may be available, even if it does take away from the respect that has been afforded me by the lovely LeZebre - guess it's better to be helpless all along than start out guns-ablazing and be reduced to helplessness?

Astra Drive Belt - Fitting Problems? - Dynamic Dave
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Volvoman,
appearing out of the heavens just in time to save the
world!

Is that an airbag in his pocket, or is he just pleased to see you!!
I WISH Dynamic - can you imagine getting from 'nothing' to maximum inflation in a fraction of a second ?
Astra Drive Belt - Fitting Problems? - Dynamic Dave
I WISH Dynamic - can you imagine getting from 'nothing' to
maximum inflation in a fraction of a second ?

Who needs to imagine!! Not called Dynamic for nothing you know ;o)
Astra Drive Belt - Fitting Problems? - bernie
If I read your problem correctly,your cistern was overfilling and the excess water was flowing down the overflow pipe.It was then leaking out of a joint.Was this joint where the pipe inserts into the fitting under the cistern or was it on an elbow joint further down the overflow pipe?

The problem with overfilling is as stated usually a bit of muck inside the ballvalve.This can easily be cleaned out by dismantling it and cleaning it.If it is quite old the rubber sealing washer may have perished.Replace it.Of course turn the water off first before any work on it.There should be,but not always an isolating tap on the supply pipe to the cistern.

If you dont have a big plastic ball float,but a little cylinder float about 40mm in diameter you probably have a whisperflow type floatvalve.These work slightly differently but again check for muck or grit.

If the overflow pipe to the overflow fittng is leaking,make sur it is inserted fully and the plastic "Nut" is screwed up tight.

If the pipe joint is leaking again check it is inserted fully.Moders fittings are push fit,no glue necessary,if old type you can glue it or use silicone.There is hardly any water pressure on these joints so dont usually leak.

For a person about to fit a belt to a car this job should be a piece of cake !
Hi Bernie, thanks for all this :)

I think there's 2 leaks, one where the pipe is screwed onto the fitting under the cistern, and another on the elbow joint lower down. Although it's possible that it's just from the former, and running down to the elbow joint. (wow I'm learning technical terms here!)

If the overfilling thing comes back, I'll try taking apart the ball float (it's the big type not the small) to check for muck. It SHOULDN'T be a washer problem because it's all quite new, but I'll bear that in mind. And yes, I'm proud to say that remembered to turn off the waer earlier, before fiddling around!

I will try to tighten the plastic nut on the overflow fitting,am just a little wary of how much pressure to use cos it looks very flimsy.

The elbow joint - well it's a modern one, so maybe don't need glue, but again am not sure how much I can force it in before breaking it.

Just so as this seems remotely on-topic, if you have seen Volvoman's post you will know that I have now been offered assistance in the car-belt thing, so any praise in that area is I'm afraid unjustified!

Thanks Bernie!

Astra Drive Belt - Fitting Problems? - Andrew Hamilton
Suggest you direct DIY type questions to forums on diyfixit.co.uk or diydata.com
Sorry Andrew, like I said I won't do it again :(
Astra Drive Belt - Fitting Problems? - Flat in Fifth
Surely (Shirley) the real question is why has Armitage Shanks not responded to this thread?
Astra Drive Belt - Fitting Problems? - Armitage Shanks{P}
I was away for the weekend with Ideal Standard, and my awful car broke down. I now have a dead diesel! It is in the main agent locally so I won't ask the Back Room for an analysis!
Astra Drive Belt - Fitting Problems? - Godfrey H {P}
You will probably need two spanners the same size to loosen the bolt that holds the belt tensioner in place. If you lived in Suffolk I would blow the cobwebs off the spanners in the back of my garage and give you a hand.

Re overflowing cistern if you have tried everything suggested and ir still overfills you may need a complete new ballcock assembly. As they get older the plastic ones often split somewhere in before the valve (been there done that). They are very cheap to buy and easy to fit compared with dismantling your old one.

Following all the great advice from you people on here, and with able assistance from my superhero accomplice, my drive belt is now fitted (ok he did it and I stood helplessly at the kerb watching).

However, I am told that the alternator is loose, and slightly at an angle, and there's a screw on it that looks like it might need tightening. However it's very inaccessible and very stiff.

Someone has said it might be something to do with 'bushes' on the sides of the alternator and that these might need replacing.

Can anyone explain this to me and let me know if it's something that I need to get done?

thanks,
Helpless.
Astra Drive Belt - Fitting Problems? - PhilW
I'm terribly sorry, I'd love to give you advice on stiffness and bushes but I fear this is not the right site, nor am I qualified and I fear that for the first time my cotribution might be censored. Is someone taking the ****?
No wind-up Phil - we got the belt on and tensioned it then HFD took the car to a local garage who checked/okayed what we'd done but told us that the alternator was wobbling due to worn 'bushes' - it looked to me like the alternator was fixed via a mounting and bolt that needed tightening but I'm no expert so can anyone help ? We couldn't get access to the bolt with anything other than a small spanner which didn't provide enough leverage to shift it.
phil :-0 of course I was not referring to stuff like that, I know that would be entirely inappropriate for this site. (but if you'd like to visit my website, and see my new pics etc etc etc, just click on...... - sorry just kidding!)

What Volvoman has said in reply to you is entirely how it is - just wondered if anyone could tell me if what the mechanic said (I am always a little suspicious of what they say) is right, or not.

That's all - totally innocent Phil, as most of us helpless females seem to be.

ps when i wrote the word 'stiff' earlier, after I'd posted it, I DID hope that it would go unnoticed, and that it would be taken in the meaning that it was intended! Guess I was wrong?.......
Astra Drive Belt - Fitting Problems? - PhilW
Phew! Thats a relief. for a moment there I thought Volvoman no longer had his underpants on over his tights1 Horrible thought!
PhilW
Well THAT, or so I believe, is a privilege enjoyed only by Volvoman's wife.......and believe me guys, what he says about her is true - you'd all be jealous!

Helpless.