02 1.9 TDI rear sunroof drain nipple location - DP
Noticed some water marks appearing at the top of the A pillar trim in the Golf after heavy rain, accompanied by a generally damp, musty smell inside the car.

It didn't take long to work out the sunroof drain holes were blocked, and I've cleared the two "nipple" outlets at the base of the A-pillars. After a teaspoon of sludge, was teased out of each, both are now pouring clear water when a small quantity is added directly to the sunroof guttering. I'm confident these are clear.

There are apparently two more on the rear corners of the roof, which are hidden inside the mechanism. I'm told they come out underneath somewhere behind the rear wheels, but there is no sign. Can anyone help?

Just in case I have no joy with this, can anyone tell me how the A-pillar trim comes off these cars?

Cheers
DP
02 1.9 TDI rear sunroof drain nipple location - focusman
hi
have you removed the wheel arch liners. i seem to remember on one car we had a pug 205 the pipes exited behind the liners
hope you find them
02 1.9 TDI rear sunroof drain nipple location - 659FBE
On the Passat and its clones, the rear sunroof drains emerge behind the rear bumper skin near the corners - you need to take it off to get to it (not a difficult job).

I've not looked at a Golf but the detail designs (good and bad) of these cars are extremely similar.

Don't park any VAG car under trees and preferably not pointing uphill in the rain. The B5.5 Passat is worse than the Golf in this respect but they're both lousy designs. Lesson on gravity and the characteristics of deciduous flora needed in Wolfsburg.

Edited by 659FBE on 10/05/2009 at 13:40

Thanks chaps. I guess we'll see over the next few days if it's worked or not.

I was quite surprised at how common rainwater leaks seem to be on various VAG cars.

Cheers
DP
Well, despite the torrential rain this weekend, the headlining and pillars have stayed dry. The musty smell has dissipated too. Opening the front doors in heavy rain saw both sunroof drains trickling steadily.

Hopefully it will stay that way.