00 1.8 Wheel Bearing fouling caliper bracket - sugz
Hi,

I recently changed my drivers side wheel bearing after the previous one disintegrated. The problem i have is that the caliper bracket is scraping the disc (on the outside of the disc, closest to the wheel). I am pretty sure that the new bearing is correctly seated and i cannot figure out why on earth this should be happening? I am very close to taking the dremel and grinding the offending part of the caliper bracket but am unsure if this is the best way forward.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by Pugugly on 10/05/2009 at 21:17

00 1.8 HELP! Wheel Bearing fouling caliper bracket - Peter D
Do not grind the caliper bracket as this is a safety issue. Are you sure it is the right bearing for the cat/model and it is fully seated. Regards Peter
00 1.8 HELP! Wheel Bearing fouling caliper bracket - sugz
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am sure it is the correct bearing and the bearing was pressed right to the circlip within the steering knuckle, so i think it is correctly seated. I will hold off on the grinding, however we are speaking about 2mm from each of the pieces that come round the front of the disc. I am at a complete loss with this one!

Peter
00 1.8 HELP! Wheel Bearing fouling caliper bracket - Number_Cruncher
It sounds like the drive flange isn't fully pressed into the bearing.

If the old bearing spun on the drive flange, then, the drive flange may have worn, or may be burred over, preventing proper seating.

As mentioned by Peter D, don't, whatever you do, take a grinder to the caliper supports. The fact you're even considering it as a possibility is a bit worrying - it might be better to allow a pro to do the work.
00 1.8 HELP! Wheel Bearing fouling caliper bracket - Peter D
Where did you buy the bearing from, what did it cost and what is the part number. Look carefully in the inside of the old bearing for signs of blueing, scouring or any wear. How noisey was the bearing. Regards Peter
Thanks for the replies guys ;O

I managed to fix the problem this morning, without grinding! It appears that the bearing that i was sure was seated properly wasn't. It had to dissassemble everything and check the bearing was seated upto the circlip at the back of the steering knuckle. I was not so i used the existing outer race to tap the bearing flush to the circlip and everything fitted back together.

Anyway, many thanks for all the help.

Peter
Forgot to mention that the bearings were actually pressed using an arbour at the local garage grrrrr.