Just Bought a White Car - Fullchat
Well I have finally bite the bullet and traded in the trusty Kia Sorento for a Kia Ceed SW (Estate) 1.6 diesel. Bit of a come down size wise but the trade in was not too bad compared to the price offered back end of last year and which according to the Glasses guide prices at the time was plummeting by the month.

I wonder if 4x4 prices have stabilized after the panic reaction over fuel and VED duty? Or as more folk are caravanning as opposed to jetting off to sunnier climes and do they now need something half decent too tow with? The Sorento is only in the £210 duty band. (ONLY he says! :-[ )

Anyway I have gone for white as opposed to bland blue/greys and derivatives. There was just something different that gave the car some presence. Shouldn't show minor surface scratches either!! And no its nothing to do with too many years sat behind a red stripe.

Backroomers thoughts on white?

Edited by Fullchat on 06/05/2009 at 20:39

Just Bought a White Car - J500ANT
If its an ice/bluey white then its thumbs up from me. My new smart is white with silver tridion frame.
Just Bought a White Car - Old Navy
I once owned a white car, vowed never again.

After you get it spotless it only stays clean untill the next time you drive it.

Good choice of car though, I hope to buy a Ceed SW next year.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Edited by Old Navy on 06/05/2009 at 20:57

Just Bought a White Car - the swiss tony
I once owned a white car vowed never again.
After you get it spotless it only stays clean untill the next time you drive it.

Black is worse!
white IMO only looks good on smaller cars, Mondeo size and up they look like beached whales!
Just Bought a White Car - Old Navy
Black is worse!

>>
Having had a white car I wouldnt even consider a black one. Still they all get dirty, some just show it more. Anyway, you cant see it from the inside!
Just Bought a White Car - bell boy
white cars dont rot and show brown blotches like they used to so its a good colour for a car that might get knocks and dents as they are hard to see as the white absorbs the light that shows dents rather than reflects the dent back if youn understand me
this is why we have so many white vans see

i personally dont mind white but it depends on the presence of the car
its a very popular colour in europe at the moment

hope the kia is a good un for you
Just Bought a White Car - Alby Back
Congrats FC, hope you enjoy it. I've been prompted by your post to have an interwebby nosey at them now. Seems like a good car. Great loadspace for its size which would be useful for me. Dear me I must be getting old when the first thing which impresses me is the loadspace....

Might have to go and have a look at a real one.

;-)
Just Bought a White Car - KB.
Can't see a problem with white...living away from the south east now I don't see as many new cars as I did but it seems when I go back that white is popular on prestige makes. Certainly my last two cars were white (not necessarily by choice as they were used and just happened to be that colour) but were no trouble to maintain. Didn't even really show the marks left when one of them was walked over from front to back someone who mistook it for the pavement. Only minor point might be the need to use tar remover occasionally to deal with spots around the lower body behind wheel arches which tend not to show so much on, what is my usual, predictable, default colour on new cars of metallic grey.....this being boring, less easy to see at dusk but doesn't look dirty unless it's proper filthy. You have prompted me to look to see what colours have adorned the various cars I've had since I was 17. Answer....Silver/Grey - 9, Green - 7, White - 4, Red - 4, Orange - 2, Brown - 2.
Just Bought a White Car - Lud
I've got a white car. It's absolutely filthy and has a heavy inner-city patina to boot - scrapes on all corners which fortunately are tough plastic bumper, the odd other scrape although nothing gross, a couple of rust patches on the o/s rear door, patched (rather than renewed) sills, signs of drunks having ridden their bikes into it, a bit of gold spray paint, a self-tapper needed yet again to tidy up the n/s rear end of the front bumper/valance, one black and one white door mirror, one blue door handle, one wheel trim missing and the others not quite the same as each other, etc.

It goes perfectly well though, stops and steers too, and no one bothers to mess with it. Its whiteness doesn't matter much in the general context.
Just Bought a White Car - Pebble
Refrigerator white is the way to go (not off-white, beige, bluish white or some such variant). I've had two white cars, although my current one is a puzzling shade of Taupe.
Just Bought a White Car - ifithelps
...too many years sat behind a red stripe...

Suppose you could always pinch some tape from work and go self-employed. :)

I think Cee'd SWs are one of the best looking estate cars and the engine is one of the smoothest and punchiest diesels.

Brother only sold his Cee'd hatchback because circumstances dictated an auto.

Cee'ds have been around a year or two now and I've not heard of any problems.
Just Bought a White Car - Chris23
I have owned both Black & White cars and would not choose either again. Both look fabulous when absolutely clean & terrible 99% of the time. The black, which wasn't a metallic, also always looked sratched. This is particularily true if you live in the country as I do.

I have a coachbuilder friend who when I knew him 30 years ago would tell you that the best car colour for hiding everything is silver. I well remember going to the commercial motor show in the 1980's & everything on display was silver. 20 years later most cars are that same horrible silver that I didn't like then & don't like now.

Bring back interesting colours. I just wish that it was possible to make a bright metallic red. Guess they might work it out one day.
Just Bought a White Car - Pebble
Bring back interesting colours. I just wish that it was possible to make a bright
metallic red. Guess they might work it out one day.

Hear, hear! I vote for Pontiac GTO orange and flouresecent banana yellow. Silver is dead boring, a copout.

Edited by Pebble on 07/05/2009 at 14:04

Just Bought a White Car - Lud
A friend has a Skoda Octavia in a colour called 'Cayenne'. It's a sort of hard reddish-orange metallic and is quite nice (although it wouldn't be my first choice).
Just Bought a White Car - Mick Snutz
Bring back Metallic Brown and vinyl roofs I say!

Also, why don;t car makers give us white with orange and red flames up the bonnet?
Just Bought a White Car - Avant
"....the best car colour for hiding everything is silver."

It certainly is - but when you've had four silver cars in a row (most of them to avoid the sort of wait that Oldgit is having - separate thread) you need a change to avoid losing the will to live. I'd have happily taken a white Octavia but they found me one in my colour of choice (race blue).
Just Bought a White Car - jonmac
Luminous Lime Green forever I say
Just Bought a White Car - Fullchat
Well the Kensington Tractor has gone and I'm the proud owner of that white Kia Ceed HW. More than happy with the white - it suits the car.
However after the Sorento I came over all claustrophobic driving home. My 'man maths' had justified the change by maintaining that the interior volume was only slightly less than the Sorento which was all wheels, diffs and chassis. Reality is that the Ceed is just another medium sized estate car with no presence . But its comfy and drives well.
Money is on for a real bad 4X4 winter this year :-[ Will keep you posted on the Ceed.