05 2.2 Car won't rev above 2k and lack of power - a900ss
Guys,

Any thoughts on what is wrong with my car?

It's a W203 C class 2.2 diesel auto, 2005, 116000 miles

It's being running a bit rough over the past few days but I thought nothing of it as due a service in 1500 miles. On Friday, it really dropped power. Even with full throttle, it was couuldn't keep up with the flow of traffic when leaving traffic lights and roundabouts and top speed was about 50MPH with my foot flat on the floor.

When you drive it, it wants to change up throught he gears as quickly as possible (circa 1500-2000RPM) even when your foot is to the floor. It will not drop a gear even if you engage kickdown, it remains in the gear it is in. If I turn the engin off, it 'resets' everything and drives normally for about 3-4 minutes then the lack of power kicks in again.

As I was driving to the Mercedes garage, the engine management light can on (yellow) but this wasn't on before.

Any thoughts guys? The car is in the garage at the moment but they can't look at it until Tuesday.

Thanks
05 2.2 Car won't rev above 2k and lack of power - Bill Payer
MAF (mass air flow) sensor?
05 2.2 Car won't rev above 2k and lack of power - ajit
Check the hoses to the turbo. It happened to a friend of mine
That's interseting as when I dropped the car off, they booked the car in and advised that it was subject to a recall on its turbo linkage.

I'm still not discounting the MAF though that another poster mentioned, I reviewed symptoms on the internet and it could be that.

Thanks
Check the hoses to the turbo. It happened to a friend of mine

Well just got the car back and that is exactly what it was. The pipes had perished and split.

Thanks
05 2.2 Car won't rev above 2k and lack of power - jc2
On a four year old Merc????
05 2.2 Car won't rev above 2k and lack of power - Number_Cruncher
Sadly, it's not an uncommon fault.

05 2.2 Car won't rev above 2k and lack of power - Bill Payer

Done 116K miles though.

I agree with you, it's not really good enough despite 116k miles.

It's fair to say that this Merc with 116k miles is nowhere near as tight as my BMW 320d that went back with 120k after 3 years. I did inherit this merc (company car) at 91k miles so I've no idea how it was looked after, my guess is that it was treated badly.