05 1.6 Snapped Clutch Return Spring - grahamw
The clutch return spring on my Focus snapped yesterday falling into the footwell.
The main dealer has quoted 1.5 hr labour to replace it.
Do any backroomers have experaince of changing one of these?
The clutch currently works fine with the exception of it not returning to its ususl position so there isn't any freeplay. Would the clutch wear prematurely if it was not renewed?
Many thanks.

Regards

Graham
05 1.6 Snapped Clutch Return Spring - MikeTorque
Check if a local garage is able to do the job, they generally charge less than a main dealer and for this type of job it's worth considering. Also a mobile mechanic is worth considering. You could purchase the component yourself and then let someone fit it for you.

You shouldn't leave the clutch like it is and still drive the car knowing a component has failed, insurance and liability issues etc.

Edited by MikeTorque on 30/04/2009 at 23:29

05 1.6 Snapped Clutch Return Spring - bell boy
as mike says find an indie and they will do it in less than an hour im sure
be aware it might take 3 days for the spring to arrive though the way ford are running parts depts in a just not in time way
05 1.6 Snapped Clutch Return Spring - L'escargot
be aware it might take 3 days for the spring to arrive though the way
ford are running parts depts in a just not in time way

My Ford dealer gets parts in 24 hours.
05 1.6 Snapped Clutch Return Spring - grahamw
Thanks for your replies; I have contacted our mobile mechanic who will look at it.
If it were our old Fiesta the spring is easily accessed from the footwell, no dismantling required.
The Focus was in the dealers for an A/C problem so asked whilst there, they were doubtful if the part would be ex stock.
My Warranty Direct policy says that the clutch pedal is covered but they are paying £440 for a new condensor so don't want to push it at the moment.
Will keep you informed.

Regards