02 2.3 Warning light and juddering at low revs - pugilist306
Hi all,

Just bought (literally - paid for it on Sunday) a Golf Mk IV, 2.3l 170bhp and, on picking it up this evening from a (Ford) dealer came across some problems. I was driving it off the forecourt and a pinging (eventually) alerted me to a warning light on the dash. I pulled over to check the manual as I know next to nothing about cars and it translated to something along the lines of a backfire damaging the catalytic converter and advised I take it to the nearest dealer. I took it back to the dealership who said they will look at it this evening/tomorrow.

The thing is I took it for a test drive on Sunday and it drove fine - no warning light and no juddering at low revs (which I also noticed happening today). Since the test drive, the dealer has done an MOT and put in half a tank of fuel but I don't think they have done much else to it..

I guess my questions are: Can anyone give me an idea of what might be wrong and might it be something that would mean I should try and walk away (if I can!!)

Any help would be welcome.

Cheers,

James
02 2.3 Warning light and juddering at low revs - Javalin
take it back pronto and get them to look at it. Might be as simple as a bad-spark related misfire - might also be much more!

James