Gutted: 9.5 year old car which i've owned for 7mts - Hokum
With my Focus now dead, its galling that i cant even trade it in for the £2000. Its half a year too young and i've only had it seven months... With the wife pregnant and no car the £2000 off a new car would of been a fantastic incentive to buy a new car. It looks like i'll have to stick with the bangernomics :(
Gutted: 9.5 year old car which i've owned for 7mts - IanJohnson
So let it stand on the drive for 6m and then sell it to someone for 1k so they can claim the £2k!
Gutted: 9.5 year old car which i've owned for 7mts - Hamsafar
£2k is really £1k.
If half is funded by the ailing motor industry, and they set the list price, then it's pretty worthless.
Gutted: 9.5 year old car which i've owned for 7mts - rtj70
So let it stand on the drive for 6m and then sell it to someone for 1k so they can claim
the £2k!

But you need to have had in 12 months to claim the money. If he lets it sit on the drive for another 6 months he can get the £2k.
Gutted: 9.5 year old car which i've owned for 7mts - Falkirk Bairn
Nissan have some offers-T/I is 8 yrs+ not 10!
Gutted: 9.5 year old car which i've owned for 7mts - Victorbox
If you were a cash buyer with no trade in you'd probably get more than £2K off a new car.
Gutted: 9.5 year old car which i've owned for 7mts - kithmo
Yes and as soon as you drive your new car out of the showroom you'd loose another 2k.
It's a pointless exercise IMO, most people who run a 10 year old car are not the sort of people who are going to go out and buy (or can afford to buy) a brand new car.
Gutted: 9.5 year old car which i've owned for 7mts - OldSock
It's a pointless exercise IMO most people who run a 10 year old car are
not the sort of people who are going to go out and buy (or can
afford to buy) a brand new car.

I've known several very wealthy people who drive around in '10 year old bangers' rather than a new car.

Guess that's why they're wealthy :-)
Gutted: 9.5 year old car which i've owned for 7mts - FocusDriver
Agree Kith. You don't need to be cynical to realise this is an excercise in window dressing. I drive a 10 year old car and, unless I wanted to drastically downsize to a C1 or Aygo it's not worth me getting a new car, I don't have the income. For a long time now I've been saying I'll get a top spec Focus at 3-4 years old. £18-20,000 car for £6-8k. Only the reliability of my current Focus is making me stall, though sorry to hear about yours Hokum. High miler?

Sorry but yet again it's the less well off who'll be tempted into buying something they will need to finance and then suffer the sort of depreciation common amongst lower end cars. Buying new is a choice but not a very good one unless you're comfortably off imo.
Gutted: 9.5 year old car which i've owned for 7mts - Hokum
Hi Focus Driver, 75K mile TDDI.. Diesel pump failure, its going to cost a a grand to repair (fraud wanted £2300!), i just dont think its worth it. So i may look at a used Grande Punto. Very reasonable prices on them.
Gutted: 9.5 year old car which i've owned for 7mts - carl_a
Hi Focus Driver 75K mile TDDI.. Diesel pump failure its going to cost a a
grand to repair

At 75k and dead I suspect the petrol model would have been much cheaper over the cars lifetime and it seems a lot less troublesome
Mines a 1.6 on a '99 T plate, done 75k too. It's not feeling as solid as it once did but the engine is still sweet, touch wood. Whe it dies, which, in my heart of hearts I know will happen within the next yer or two, all I'll do is spend 7K (which I have been saving for over the past few years) on a 06 plate Titanium.

If I wanted a Perodua Kelisa, then the £2k scrappage plan would be great. As it is, it's just tinkering at the edges, much like most NL legislation.
Gutted: 9.5 year old car which i've owned for 7mts - Sofa Spud
Quote:...""At 75k and dead I suspect the petrol model would have been much cheaper over the cars lifetime and it seems a lot less troublesome""

Ah, but exhausts last about 3 times as long on diesels, so you've probably saved a few hundred quid on those.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 25/04/2009 at 11:47

Gutted: 9.5 year old car which i've owned for 7mts - ifithelps
....all I'll do is spend 7K (which I have been saving for over the past few years) on a 06 plate Titanium....

FD,

That's a pretty handy position to be in.

Without being patronising, well done for saving up the dough, not easy unless you have a spectacular income.

With a bit of luck the scrappage scheme might mean your car is worth a few hundred to somebody, rather than zilch.

Either way, with the money behind you, you're in charge.
Agreed IIH. I don't earn that much but have managed to put aside about £300 a month for a couple of years. I don't buy many gadgets and generally don't spend much on booze/entertainment etc, though it's far from a monastic lifestyle! Anyway, it was a very conscious decision to put the money aside. It sounds small-fry but I ran up £500 on a credit card when I was 21ish and it taught me a valuable lesson so my mortgage is my only debt, and a fairly crippling one at that but I'm certainly not complaining.

Think I've been a bit dim not thinking about selling a banger to someone for them to get the 2k. Obvious innit.

Anyway, saw another gold CC3 t'other day in Godstone, roof down, looked very smart indeed ;)

Now it's off to fix my folks' computer ... again ...

R