Zafira - nocomment
Hi all.
I have had a Zafira 2.2i for over two years now.
I must say here that we use it for two things: daily school runs & shopping, and long haul trips to the south of France.
As a result the clock show 28K Miles.
I must say that I am very happy with it (handling, etc...).
But...
As I started hearing a whining noise I took it immediatly to the dealer for checking (that is, after coming back from Paris, with a detour in Brittany, a mere 0.5K Miles..).
Anyway, the surprise is that the dealer tells me the disk needs changing !
What is worst is the the pads are not finished, although I am getting them changed.
1. is this normal ? (disks used faster than pads...)
2. is there something I can do ? (link to driving pattern ? write to Vauxhall as vehicle under warranty ? Opt for better disks than the one supplied by Vauxhall ?)

On top of that, I need now change the front tyres.
I do not wish to start the back to front argument, just asking to other Zafira owners if they have tried brands / types of tyre with Zafira that they were happy with.
Thanks

NoComment
Zafira - The Watcher
Blimey! I hadn't realised the 2.2i had been out 2 years. As regards the discs, I had anAstra GTE about 10 years ago. It went infor one service and the agent phoned me up to say the discs had worn. I knew a slight lip had developed but told them to leave it.

The car continued to pass the MOT test without probs especially fromthe brakes. So, are they just being extra cautious and just informing you that in their opinion, they are just wearing?

I've now got a Zafira I imported myself and would be more than fed up if I found the discs need replacing after 28k! Have to say I haven't heard of any similar probs on the Zafira though.
Zafira - Dynamic Dave
1. is this normal ? (disks used faster than pads...)

Vauxhall have used non asbestos pads for some time now. These pads are a lot harder wearing than the old asbestos pads and generally new discs are required every 2nd pad change according to a couple of Vauxhall manuals i have read. The non asbestos pads are as hard, if not harder than the actual discs.
Zafira - RogerL
Over the last 17 years, all my Vauxhalls have given between 1.5 and 2 sets of pads before disks needed changing as well. Pads last me about 40,000 miles on new disks, while disks themselves last about 60,000 miles. Individual driver style must have an effect on these figures, so I can't say they're typical. I would suggest that something serious is wrong if disks need replacing before pads. It is not difficult to find incompetent dealer staff who are adamant that an item needs replacing, needlessly. On my previous Vauxhall, a Cavalier 2.0 16v, I was advised at a Vauxhall franchise that the front brake pads would only last another 2,500 miles (at 15,000). I ignored their advice, at 40,000 the front pads were down to Vauxhalls recommended limit so were replaced then. I would suggest you get opinion from other Vauxhall dealers.
Zafira - RogerL
On the question of tyres, my current Astra 1.8 (some similarities with Zafira) was fitted with Michelin Energy XH1 were very noisy and wore out quickly, 22,000 miles on front when 27,000+ expected. I now have Goodyear NCT5, but only on the rear, which are much quieter and seem to be lasting longer.
Zafira - nocomment
Mmmm. That's why I thought.
On that basis I have recovered the disks. They were making a whining noise.
I shall be writing to Vauxhall to complain as the vehicle is under warranty.
Thank you all for your help.
On the subect of tyres, though, the only current adivce is:
against Michelin Energy XH1
for Goodyear NCT5

I would be grateful for more !

NoComment
Zafira - Dynamic Dave
I shall be writing to Vauxhall to complain as the vehicle
is under warranty.

I'll be surprised if you get anywhere. Unless the component has actually failed, ie, exploded, broken, cracked, ect, Vauxhall will just class the worn brake discs as fair wear and tear and they won't be warranted.