Car Insurance for the US - smokie
Someone told me that you can buy an annual policy in the UK which gives you car insurance for the US so that you do not have to buy any insurance when hiring a car there.

Can anyone confirm this, and suggest possible providers? There's an outside chance I might spend June in the States.
Car Insurance for the US - jbif
Can anyone confirm this and suggest possible providers? >>

www.insurance4carhire.com/
Search forum for comments on their service - reported to be good [last 2years].
Note that some hire companies may try to not accept this when you go to collect the car.

Remember that lastminute.com [via their subsidiary Holiday Autos ] provide a good all inclusive excess waiver policy too.

Edited by jbif on 22/04/2009 at 20:11

Car Insurance for the US - rtj70
And again I will add I've used the Holiday Autos cover to get back an excess after having a hire car written off. It certainly worked and did what you expected in 2006.
Car Insurance for the US - smokie
Had a look at those sites, thanks.

Holiday autos seems more expensive than the car I've found at netflights - bottom of the range car (economy) for £18 p.d. inclusive. Holidayautos is over £22 a day for same. I didn't really check it was like for like but I suspect it is.

The insurance4less site offers what I was thinking of, which is a CDW/SLI annual policy for £109, or £129 inclusive of excess charges. My thinking here was that I thought I'd seen very cheap car hire for American, as it assumes they have their own insurance. However I can't find that now!! Will keep searching.

The excess on the car I'm looking at is < $100 so paying £2.75 a day for a 3/4 week period to protect it is a gamble I won't be taking!

This opportunity arises as I am expecting a redundancy notice next week, which is why, if I do the trip, it has to be on a tight budget. I won't be eligible for jobseekers due to being paid 3 months salary in lieu, and I won't miss much in the job market by being out of it for a month or two...

The main reason for going would be the Chicago Blues Festival (tinyurl.com/bmfahp) followed by a sightseeing drive of somewhere between 1500 and 4500 miles (depending on budget and agreement by SWMBO!) down to Atlanta and back, taking in a number of "famous name" places - something I've long wanted to do. Accommodation will range from luxury hotels and some camping...