Hotter Hatches - Cardew
I like Hot Hatches, although my current Mk 4 Golf 1.8t with 150 bhp is(like me) overweight and is now probably best described as a Warm Hatch.

However even with the modest power of my car, the only time I am normally overtaken is when somebody is prepared to risk exceeding the speed limit by a greater margin than myself. I also frequently find myself behind a hard driven car with half the power of mine, and am unable to overtake. Indeed there is no need to as he is going as fast as I would.

I regularly have the same 160 mile trip usually in the Golf, but occasionally in a 1.4 Almera - the journey times do not vary.

The Hot Hatch thing started with the 100bhp Mk1 Golf GTI. The power gradually increased but for a long while 150bhp was the standard. Suddenly every manufacturer seems to be producing a small car with 170 to 200+ bhp Focus, Clio, 206, Civic, Seat etc.

With increasing congestion and more strictly enforced speed limits why do people buy them?

Me. I'm going to have another look at the Civic R cos I like the thought of 200bhp.