02 1.6 Brake Issues - redviper
Hi All

Once again, I seek your invaluable expert advice :-)

About 9 months ago I had my car serviced by Vauxhall, and they replaced the front discs and pads.
Although they worked, and stopped the car fine they where never as sharp as they used to be (pedal seems ?softer?) however I just put it down to a different brand of pads, however the car stops perfectly fine.

Anyhow recently when applying the brakes they have developed a very slight squeal, I thought this would disappear over time if the discs/pads where dirty etc however it hasn?t. It?s the same tone/volume of squeak all the time, and there is (AFIK) no degrade in performance.

The pads/discs should be covered under warranty, however before I ring up Vauxhall and ask them to take a look and fix, I was wondering if I could have some advice/thoughts 1st.

Many Thanks, in Advance

Ste
02 1.6 Brake Issues - Number_Cruncher
Yes, have the brakes checked.

But, if otherwise OK, i.e., plenty of lining thickness remaining, nothing seized up, etc., a squealing brake does not mean that there is a problem - in fact, squealing brakes tend to be quite efficient!

Edited by Number_Cruncher on 17/04/2009 at 16:03

SQ
Thanks, Ill get them checked out, and post the outcome - I thought it wasnt ok to have squeeling brakes?

:-)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/04/2009 at 19:18

02 1.6 Brake Issues - Number_Cruncher
>>I thought it wasnt ok to have squeeling brakes?

If the squealing is caused by the linings having worn down, by there being foreign material in the brake, or if a part of the brake is seized up, then, yes, I agree - it's not OK, and you should fix it.

If those items are OK, then, the squealing does not indicate a problem. It's entirely possible that the act of diss-assembling and re-assembling the brake, even without applying any treatments, would stop the squeal. The exact cause of squeal, and a way to design good brakes which never squeal has eluded manufacturers for a long time, and continues to do so.
02 1.6 Brake Issues - Cris_on_the_gas
As you say worth getting the lining checked to ensure thare is enough friction material left and there are not any foreign objects stuck on the pads or discs.
What might help stop the squealling is appying a little copper grease between the caliper and back of the pads and around the retaining pins, be careful only apply a little and not get any on the face of the pads or disc etc.
When was the last time the brake fluid was changed, it does deteriate over time and I should be changed every 2-3 years or so. it does absorb moisture over time which would make the brakes feel more spongey. Although if you drive the car regularly may not be noticeable.
Hi All, thanks for the replys.
When was the last time the brake fluid was changed it does deteriate over time
and I should be changed every 2-3 years or so. it does absorb moisture over
time which would make the brakes feel more spongey. Although if you drive the car
regularly may not be noticeable.

Im not sure exactly at the moment, but the car (with the expection of one year) has always been serviced at a main dealer, as I dont have all the docs with me at the moment I can only assume that it would have (if it has) been done in accordence with Vauxhalls recommendation

I have phoned the main Vauxhall dealer and they said they would check the brakes and discs (and give the car "a free health check") however if all it needs is a clean, and the copper grease... they would charge me a hours labour (which if all it needs is a clean i can probs do it myself, im not paying for a hours labour)

however ill report back thanks for your help guys :-)