Tyres - Any recommendations? - V4 Heaven
Hi,

Is there anyone on the forum that has a subscription to Which? magazine or similar that has recently done an article on tyre tests for mainstream cars?

I need to replace some 185/60H14s and I'm after a very quiet tyre (ie low road noise)that offers good grip in the wet. I know Which? regulary does tests but I'm not a subscriber.

Faiing that can anyone recommend a quiet/grippy tyre?

Honest John - is it possible to have such a review on the website?

Cheers.
Tyres - Any recommendations? - Dynamic Dave

How about www.tyrereviews.co.uk ?

Also you'll find some tyres will perform well on one car, but not on another.

What car is it, btw?
Tyres - Any recommendations? - Gromit {P}
The German ADAC do comprehensive tests of summer and winter tyres at regular intervals - they're reported by tyre size, not the car they're fitted to.

You'll need to feed the text from their website into Babelfish to make sense of it, and will probably need a smattering of German to make sense of the results.
Tyres - Any recommendations? - loskie
sarch on Autoexpress site they do an annual test. Vredestein tyres usually come out near the top. I've used them the past few years and cannot rate them highly enough. Ultrac, Sporttrac and Quatrac3 variants on 195/65 r15 usually £55 to £60 fitted etc. Only downside is sometimes hard to get so go to an independant tyre place not a chain.
Tyres - Any recommendations? - Red Baron
As you wish...

1st...Continental Premium Contact 2...73%
2nd...Bridgestone Turanza ER300...72%
3rd...Kumho solus KH17...67%
4th...Uniroyal Rain Expert...67%

All have the same [ECO and noise] rating with either 4 or 5 stars in all other categories. Except the Kumho that gets 3 stars for wet grip (bend) and Uniroyal 3 stars for dry braking. Their comments state that the Conti is slightly noisier than some, whilst the Bridgestone is average for noise. If you want a quiet tyre, the Michelin Energy Saver was in 8th place.

I personally can recommend the Contis as I use these in 205/55/16 format.

Hope this helps

Above data from WHICH? magazine.

Edited by Red Baron on 14/04/2009 at 22:34

Many thanks for the replies.

I deliberately left the make of car off the original thread as I was after general guides, especially where many tyres are all pitted against each other at the same time under controlled conditions.

The car, however, is a Seat Ibiza 1.2, 52 reg. We haven't had it long but it suits our needs perfectly but has a little bit more road noise that expected. It is fitted with a mish mash of tyre brands though and not all in the best of nick (which helped with a price reduction ;-)). I reckon a set of 2 if not 4 decent tyres will make a difference whatever is fitted.

Thanks Red Baron for the info. I checked with my local library and they regularly receive Which? magazine and I've photocopied the tests.

What I find funny is that I'm checking 185/60/14s for my 1.2 commuter mobile yet "when I was a lad" 185/60/14s were the next best thing fitted to the likes of XR3s etc!

Many thanks again!

Tyres - Any recommendations? - GeoffC

I would confirm the faith in the Conti's - particulalry the Premium Contact 2's they are just about the best tyre I have tried on any of my cars - currently on an old Renault Scenc 2.0 RXE.

They have good grip in the dry and very nice tight turn in - also stick like glue in the wet.

They are only less than perfect in the snow and ice - where some previous tyres were marginally better - I think it's to do withthe wide grooves.

So - I am contemplating something else - and currently deliberating about the directional Uniroyal Rain expert, also considering a few others - like maybe the Vredestein Hi Trac or High track 2.

If it is only the snow that is a problem then maybe I should stick with these conti's....

Tyres - Any recommendations? - tim-cumbria

Grip- as winter approaches I can tell you all about grip. I fit winter tyres. Handling on icy and snowy roads is incredible. I go out driving in the snow for pleasure in our Fiat Punto, yet apart from snow driving, the idea that motoring was a pleasure faded from my mind 20 years ago. Deserted country lanes become great fun when only the local farmers and just a few people with winter tyres can travel on them. For this reason only, I am hoping for prolonged snow in my locality this winter.

For many parts of the UK, all weather tyres that can be left fitted all year round may be considered more suitable. They help a lot in snow and ice, but for me in the north Pennines winter tyres are best. This video is quite informative www.youtube.com/watch?v=45txbhLuG_o

Tyres - Any recommendations? - Roly93
As you wish... 1st...Continental Premium Contact 2...73% 2nd...Bridgestone Turanza ER300...72% 3rd...Kumho solus KH17...67% 4th...Uniroyal Rain Expert...67%

I dont disagree with any of this, but if you want to take a less 'money no object' approach, I would have a very hard look at some Falken 912's.

IMO steer well clear of Bridgestones, I have them on my Audi now, and they are made out of playdough I think judging by the wear rate !

Tyres - Any recommendations? - oldtoffee

Contis and Bridgestones are sometimes on the sporty side and won't help reduce road noise which is a feature of most Seats even the cooking versions set up with IMO overly firm suspension.

Check out tyreyest.com's info - access via mytyres.co.uk with your tyre size and you'll see results of many tests and interior and exterior noise are included as well as dry, wet grip etc. I swapped Contis for Nokian on a Passat a while ago and was well impressed by the Nokian's comfort and low noise. Maybe not as grippy on the limit and a bit softer on turn in but not a big issue for me.

Tyres - Any recommendations? - Red&Bold

i got 2 Continentals premium contact 2 new and fitted for £140 they even came to my workplace in their van and did it all for me. what nice guys. They had some deal going not sure if its still on but this was only a couple of weeks ago.

Further to my previous comment - the Conti Premium 2 is still IMO the best tyre I have tried so far - wet or dry and steers in a nice straight line.

On my old Scenic they are not yet worn out on the front at 12K miles which is acceptable for that car

However - if you want to use them in the snow they are not very good - and also if you stray onto mud. For that some of my previous tyres were better - eg Pirelli P6 which was nearly as good in the wet or dry and much better in snow - but those always felt wrong! They felt over inflated and on the motorway I had to constantly adjust and correct the steering.

I am seriously considering the Uniroyal Rain Expert just now.

As was mentioned - My Tyres (and Tyre test .com) is a good place to get an idea how tyres perform - be carefull with the Tyre test - if not many have rated, then the result may be misleading.

Tyres - Any recommendations? - miroku1949

I used to have Continental Premium 2 on my Yaris and to be honest although the grip level was ok they were very noisy.

I replaced them all with www.tyretest.com/allseason_tyres/kumho/solus_kh21/...l

The difference in road noise was very noticeable and grip levels were just the same wet or dry. An excellent all year tyre.

Tyres - Any recommendations? - RT

I've got Kumho Solus KL21 on my SUV - they're unsuitable as All-Season tyres as the compound is so hard the grip falls off noticeably as temperatures drop - and that's on dry roads - and the wear rate is high, projected 25k for a set of 5 evenly rotated.

I'll be getting a set of Vredestein Quatrac 3 at replacement time as they're proper All-Season - they have M+S and the Snowflake so can be left on over winter - they aren't available in all sizes though and they aren't budget priced.

Tyres - Any recommendations? - injection doc

I agree with many other comments about conti's being noisy ! ours were dreadfull on our Fiesta, but I replaced the fronts with Conti's at 9000 miles but again very very noisy & wear rate was horrendous, however on the advise of our Local Ford Dealer we fiited Hanooks. Wow the road noise really reduced and the grip has been very good and wear rate so far is much better having done 5000 miles & loads of wear left in them

The Hanooks actually get very good reviews and very good customer feed back & very good reports of nosie reduction.

For Wintergrip I have a set of Vredenstein Wintrac 4 extremes on my Landrover fitted on spare set of alloys & the grip is just unreal.I can only describe them as like driving on 1000's of rubber suckers !

I must disagree on this. How much does your SUV weigh compared to a small car?

And how can a hard compound wear out faster than a soft compound?

I like tyres that grip in all conditions so I buy accordingly and the Kumhos have the mountain and snowflake symbol. Do you live abroad?

I must disagree on this. How much does your SUV weigh compared to a small car?

And how can a hard compound wear out faster than a soft compound?

I like tyres that grip in all conditions so I buy accordingly and the Kumhos have the mountain and snowflake symbol. Do you live abroad?

Of course my SUV weighs a lot more than a small car - but then it has much bigger tyres both in width and diameter.

I'm not a tyre technician, just an owner - I do know that the rate of tyre wear is high and dry road grip falls off the cliff as ambient temperatures drop.

The Kumho Solus KL21 as fitted as OE on UK-market Hyundai's DON'T have M+S or Snowflake.

Tyres - Any recommendations? - Auristocrat

Blackcircles have the following in your size: Falken Ziex ZE-912 fully fitted for £51.72 each; Uniroyal Rainexpert fully fitted for £52.88 each; Hankook Kinergy Eco K425 fully fitted for £56.05 each; Pirelli P6000 fully fitted for £57.41 each; Yokohama A Drive fully fitted for £57.60 each; Continental Eco Contact 3 fully fitted for £72.38 each.

We recently replaced some Pirelli PZero Neros (rear - original fit) and Yokohama S Drives (fronts) on our Mazda 2 with Kumho KH31's - and these were noticably quieter. Kumho's are one of the tyres fitted to new Polos as original equipment. The following are direct quotes from Which? for this tyre test:

"This Continental is a class-leading tyre, offering good dry braking performance and top dry handling. It also hangs on well in wet conditions, particularly in bends. It's noisier than some alternatives and its wear rating was about average for the batch. Availability isn't as good as is usual for Continental tyres."

"The Bridgestone Turanza ER300 offers class-leading dry grip and handling and is good in wet conditions, too. It isn't bad for noise but for wear there are tyres that, under the same circumstances, should give you higher mileage."

"This Kumho tyre offers good grip in dry conditions and good straight line grip in the wet. For wet grip in bends it can't quite match the best in class but is acceptable. Its wear rating is good, and as one of the lower-priced tyres in the batch it's good value for money."

"The Vredstein Rain Expert offers good dry grip and will pull you up pretty quickly when you hit the brakes in the wet. And when it comes to wet traction it is a class-leader.Its wear rating is good, as is its rolling resistance, all pointing to value for money. It isn't the quietest tyre in the batch though. The Uniroyal brand is owned in Europe by Continental."

There was one 'Don't Buy' in this size:

"Vredestein Hi-Trac Average price £53 Which? test score 38%

At £53, and with excellent wear characteristics, the Hi-Trac may seem good value for money. It even does well in the wet.

But the compromise is in its dry grip - where its braking and handling fall short of the mark and may have you paying out any money saved in insurance excess if you crash into the car in front. Steer clear."

Hi, thanks to you all for the recommendations.

Since my original post in 2009, I've had Kumho KH15s fitted. They have been excellent in all conditions (even the snow in Dec 10/Jan 11) and I am quite happy with them. They're nearly worn out now but still give a secure drive. Might replace them now with the same (although I think they've been superseded by KH17s) or the Uniroyals.

Happy New Year to you all!

RT

I was talking about Kuhmo KH21 which are an all season tyre.

Not the Khumo KL21 www.tyretest.com/4x4_tyres/kumho/solus_kl21/index....l which actually has a good feedback.

www.ityre.com/en/tyres/catalog/kumho/model/23792/

And actually has a 60K mileage warranty in some countries.

RT

I was talking about Kuhmo KH21 which are an all season tyre.

Not the Khumo KL21 www.tyretest.com/4x4_tyres/kumho/solus_kl21/index....l which actually has a good feedback.

www.ityre.com/en/tyres/catalog/kumho/model/23792/

And actually has a 60K mileage warranty in some countries.

Good feedback - only 2 consumers have responded !!

Tyres on sale in USA are very often different compounds to Europe, even for tyres of the same name/model. Using the UTQG figures I can normally get a 240 tyre to 25,000 miles on a set of 4 - my Kumho KL21s will only get 25,000 miles from a set of 5 despite their 500 rating - I suspect the reason is that the UTQG ratings are based on US conditions where they don't have many corners !!!

My Santa Fe came with Kumho Solus KL21s on it. I've put on Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtremes for the winter (somewhat prematurely in October as it turns out!) and will put the Kumhos back on as a summer tyre. I've run all season M+S tyres in the winter (Vredestein Quatrac3s) and found them very good in the wet and dry and ok on fresh and compacted snow and in slush but nowhere near as impressive as the Wintrac4s. I did 7,000 miles on the KL21s in 3 months and found them quite good. They seem to me to work well enough in the wet and dry with good grip, they will break in the wet but at quite high speeds - I have experimented very early mornings on traffic free wet roundabouts to satisfy my curiosity. They are comfortable and quiet - more so than the Wintrac4s but the Kumhos are load rated 103 and the Wintracs 107XL. Camskill sell them for £88 in my 235/60/18 size which is roughly half the price of many of the premium brands so that to me looks very good value. I'll run the Kumhos to the end and then probably stick with the Wintrac4s as Vredestein say that are good for all year round use and there is anecdotal evidence of 40k+ mileage from sets on other 4x4s.

Tyres - Any recommendations? - gordonbennet

I'll run the Kumhos to the end and then probably stick with the Wintrac4s as Vredestein say that are good for all year round use and there is anecdotal evidence of 40k+ mileage from sets on other 4x4s.

Agree with Wintrac Extremes being very good on 4x4's, but when did Vred's attitude to all year round running change.

So good were they on my Hilux that i would have preferred to run them as an all year round standard tyre...the original Pirelli' were poor in comparison.

I emailed Vredestein to ask if they would recommend all year use and they were less than enthusiastic about this, and didn't recommend doing so.

Purely out of interest after much research i spent out on a set of General UHP's for summer use, they were very good, well priced with superb wet grip, i would buy them again.

I should just mention that the Hilux having an LSD as standard didn't do the usual cart sprung RWD trick of safely spinning the inside drive wheel when you took things too fast in the wet, the LSD wouldn't allow that so severe oversteer was easily provoked and could be handful to get back, thats why the original tyres were removed and sold with around a thousand miles use only.

With the Vreds oversteer slides simply never happened, and to their credit neither did it happen with the Generals in wet summer conditions...despite SWMBO best efforts to spin the thing..

Edited by gordonbennet on 04/01/2012 at 20:36

>>but when did Vred's attitude to all year round running change.

I'm not sure but one one of their official UK distributors recommends them as an all year tyre for the UK:

www.tyremen.co.uk/range/vredestein-wintrac-4-xtrem...x

I bought mine from a 4x4 tyre independent and they recommend them quite positively for all year use:

www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=791696

I also saw an official communication from Vredestein on another forum confirming that the Wintrac 4 xtreme is suitable for all year use, I'll try to find it.

Tyres - Any recommendations? - ChannelZ

I used to run the Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme on my diesel Lancer (225-45/18) all year round - they were a far better tyre than the OE fit Yokohama A10 and the truely terrible Toyo T1R that I had on my summer rims. The Toyos were totally unsuitable for the heavy Lancer, felt like I was driving on marbles.

As for the Hi-Trac, they were fitted to my Mondeo when I got it, didn't think they were terrible for a "long life" tyre. I replaced them with Bridgestone Turanza ER300 and then Hankook Ventus Prime K105. The Hankooks are the best tyre I've had on that car - no surprising as they were the factory fit tyre going by the unused spare in the boot.

I've got Dunlop winter tyres for the Mondeo - they're terrible. Great last year when it was -17C and sheet ice, but worse than useless if it's above 0C. I stupidly bought the wrong winters - the Graspic DS3 I have seem to be designed for Nordic areas. I think I should have gone for a more performance tyre like the Wintersport 3D, or one of Vred's winters.

Thinking next tyre change I might try the Bridgestone Weathercontrol A001 which is supposed to be a proper all-season designed for the UK, using the LM25 pattern with a different rubber compound to give it better summer running properties.

Just an update on my car and tyres. Had the Wintrac 4 Xtremes on my Santa Fe for the last 3 months and around 6,000 mainly motorway miles. One trip to the Alps in a lot of snow reconfirmed why I like them so much. Anyway, the car was in the Hyundai main dealers today for a wing mirror repair and an interim service which included a free visual check. The check reported back 3 of the tyres at 7mm tread and one front nearside at 6mm. As the tyre comes with 9mm from new even my limited mental maths caused me to think "that isn't too clever." So back home got out the tyre tread gauge and checked them all twice. They are 7mm at the front and 8mm at the back, makes sense I suppose as it is a 2wd car 99.99% of the time.

So assuming the tyres would be up for replacement at say 2.5 mm in the summer and 4mm in the winter, with swapping around, that's around 20k to 25k max from a set. I'd imagine running them in the warmer months would surely accelerate the wear to the point where I wouldn't see 20k miles which is plainly too low. How some people claim to get 40k+ out of a set all year round on a heavier Range Rover I struggle to see! I'm definitely taking them off in the spring so they are good for next winter.

Reading all the comments and narrowing down my own decisions. I don't plane to keep my current 2.0RXE Scenic for a long time now - possibly a max of 2 years! So - for the first time in my life I am looking for a slightly cheaper tyre. The Uniroyal is available for £58 at my local RSR - where the Conti PC2 is £76= - and sometimes quite a bit more elsewhere.

I cannot be investing in seperate Winter tyres and so I am thinking the Rain Experts may be my best compromise. Maybe when I buy another car I might consider some winter tyres for winter use to be stored seperately in the Summer....

Contis are more expensive and no good in the snow - but otherwsie very good. Uniroyals don't quite match the conti's in the dry but are excellent in the wet and seemingly also better in the snow - so that is what I am planning to buy in a month or two. ....Unless someone has a blinding revelation to tell me about LOL

Tyres - Any recommendations? - grimep

Ive just stuck a pair of Falken 912s on the rear of our Scenic - they look like a cheap tyre but time will tell. They were inexpensive, but going by reviews seemed a cut above the cheapie brands.

I've tried Mich Energies, Bridgestone Turanzas, etc but am about to go for a pair of Yokahama C Drives on the rear of my Focus. Relatively cheap and hopefully a great tyre for all conditions, although technically its a summer tyre. Time will tell again.

I've a pair of Uniroyal RainExpert on the front of the Mondeo. They're fine for the price. I have a pair of Hankook Ventus Prime on the back, they were the same price as the Uniroyals. They're a bit stiffer in the sidewall, so don't have the wooly handling of the RainExpert, they last a similar amount, and there's little difference in wet or dry grip as far as I can tell.

I think I'd probably replace the RainExperts with some other Hankook, either the Ventus Prime2, or the Optimo K415 which aren't bad either, though the K415 is a bit noisy on the OH's i30. Might be different on the Mondeo.

Wooly handling - ooer!! The Contis are very responsive and stay in a nice straight line too - If the Uniroyals are wooly then maybe I need to think again!! I have read that all the Hankooks are not anywhere near as good in the wet which is what 'steered' me away from them

Tricky isn't it - cos once you have bought them you are stuck with them for a few years!!

Hoping to find near similar handling - but possibly better in the snow - but for a lower price (don't want much do I ?? LOL)

Edited by GeoffC on 24/01/2012 at 17:55

Tyres - Any recommendations? - Avant

I'd add Kumho to the list. They're recommended several times on another current thread, and they've done well both for grip and for durability on my old Z3.

OK the old mota in question is a low for it's age mileage, Facelift mk1 Scenic 2.0RXE

Currently using Conti PC2's which are, to date, just about the best in the wet and dry - but not in the snow. Those are amazing for grip and turn in. Close 2nd was a set of Pirreli P6 which were also much better inthe snow - but felt horrible, felt over inflated, and wandered on the motorway. Before them I used Kumho Solus KH15 which felt as nice as the Cont's but wet grip was not so good, also they tended to slew more (tyre walls bending) on faster cornering. But they were comfortable and yes - also a bit better in the snow than the Conti's.

Really finding it difficult to decide - i was almost certain the Uniroyals would be the answer -but can see they are a little less good inthe dry. Also considered the Yokoham C-Drive. The Hankooks looked good but Tyretest.com rates their wet grip as noticably less good.

Hmm decisions decisions!!

Just to throw this in. I bought a 2008 Lancer (diesel GS3 saloon) not so long ago, and it had factory fitted Yokohama tyres on it. Yokohama A10A in 215-45/18 to be exact. DOT production date on them was around the middle of 2008. I had to replace all 4 tyres in Decemeber 2009 because they had gone dozed. Tread was splitting, and sidewalls looked like a 10 year old Michelin.

Thankfully Mitsubishi replaced all 4 when they were swapping the wheels (they were corroded around the centre cap, and were being replaced under warranty too). They put on Bridgestone RE050A which were a good tyre but could be seen wearing day to day.

That bad rubber degredation on the Yokos would make me very wary. Probably a bad batch or something, but still, the doubt would always be in my mind.

Tyres - Any recommendations? - MikeTorque

GeoffC, if price is the limiting factor then the Uniroyals Rain Experts at £58 each offer sound value, you may get more discount if you're buying 4 tyres.

These tyres have received excellent reviews from many people, see details below :
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Uniroyal/RainExpert.htm
http://www.tirestest.com/summercar_tires/uniroyal/rainexpert/index.html

An alternative tyre choice would be the Goodyear Excellence, cost around £68 each fully fitted for 4 tyres. These tyres offer good all round performance in wet & dry conditions and offer low road noise and good comfort levels. Had these fitted to a Focus mk2 and they performed well in all conditions, limited exposure on snow but I had no problems getting traction with them . However, if I had to drive in more snowy conditions I'd fit winter tyres.

Wow - thanks for quick responses!

Yokohama are tyres I used a lot in the past - sounds like those were a bad batch. My reservations with them would be more around wearing out very fast - yet still not quite up with the best in the wet - not bad though and can be reasonably cheap.

I keep looking at the Good years and know they will be a comfortable ride - however they do not get good wet ratings from Tyretest.com (via Mytyres.com) - or from tyrereviews.co.uk

Similarly with the Efficient Grip tyre which suprises me as they are supposed to be a very good make.

Another tyre that keeps waving to me from the background is the Fulda Carat Progresso - obviously we are limited to the size - mine are 195/60/15's So the Kumho KU31 won't fit - I might well have opted for that otherwise.

Returning to the Uniroyals - they seem to get a good overall review from both those sites - also looked at http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/car-tyres/UNIROYAL/RAIN,EXPERT/ where they look good comparing with many others.

I may well try them - but I am only buying 2 as the backs are very good at the moment.

Think I should just go for the Rain Experts - take care over Tyre pressures and see how they bed in. Worst case I could swap them to the back if I am not so pleased with them.

Update

Bought 2 rainexperts for the fronts - great price £59= each - so far def not regreting! Bought just in time for our recent snow - they were great in the snow! Best tyre I have used to date in the snow (not used winter tyres!) - they also feel very safe generally, steer nicely and grip well wet and dry - maybe they won't be s sporty as Conti PC2's on a hot summers day - but TBH these feel very safe and secure so far.

Tyres - Any recommendations? - MikeTorque

That's good to hear.

How comfortable do you find them ?
Do they absorb road ruts ok and are they noticably quieter ?

Tyres - Any recommendations? - Ed V

My thoughts are that there's probably little difference between the manufacturers if, and only if, you match like for like, e.g. C-Class versus A4, not versus an A8.

Each maker seems to make a "comfort" oriented tyre, a sporty one, a run-flat, a wet specialist, a winter, an all season etc. Any angled tread generally will add to noise levels even if it impresses some types.

I've just gone for the quietest Bridgestone's, the Turanza ER300s. Tyre company websites make it pretty clear which tyre is designed for which customer preferences.

Amazed no one has done a comprehensive noise test.

Tyres - Any recommendations? - boogercj

I was is the same position 6 months ago, looking for 4 new tyres for my Ford Puma. Plumbed for the Uniroyal Rainexperts (aparently made by Continental, incidentally) and they are fantastic in the wet. Very confidence inspiring. They were really good value from blackcircles.com. They're a bit more "squidgy" than the Michelins that came on the car, but much better in the wet, IMO.

Plumbed for the Uniroyal Rainexperts (aparently made by Continental, incidentally)

They are. If you go to Uniroyal's web site, at the bottom it says "Copyright Continental".

I've had better results and luck with Uniroyal than with Continentals.

Tyres - Any recommendations? - Mutton Geoff

I have a 2004 A4 Avant that came with Continental Sport Contacts (235/45 17) as new and which I replaced along the way. A couple of years ago, I started using winter tyres (Conti WinterContacts) on 15" steel rims and due to the lower 195/65 profile and width, the road noise was substantially reduced.

Last week I put new "summer" tyres (one's we'd have normally used all year round but the manufacturers now prefer to brand as such). I looked at the above review sites and decided on a set of 235/45 Goodyear F1 Assy 2s.

The difference in road noise with the Continentals is astounding. I was expecting a few % reduction from the reviews, but the car is altogether very different and it's almost as if the higher profile winter boots are still on the car.

I am converted, the Goodyear F1s really work with the Audi and it feels completely different. Very sure footed in the rain and the contrast between concrete and tarmac'd road sections of motorway just blend smoothly together without the horrible rumble the Contis used to make on concrete roads.

Tyres - Any recommendations? - 1litregolfeater

Bit of a dangerous question you asked. Tyres are a bit like oil, ask for opinions, and you'll get all kinds of views expressed. Some might be carefully considered and thoughtful, others will be ignorant or prejudiced. All will be opinions, on a matter i which the person involved has invested money in his 'faith'.

My own? Put it this way. The Corsa I bought the lad came with 5 tyres, the worn one got put in the boot. They were all economy bargain / distress purchase tyres purchased by previous owners, presumably conforming to tyre standards. I inspected them, pumped them up and distributed them sensibly.

20000 miles later the car still handles great, has had no issues, loads of life left.

Not scientific, just my observation.

Tyres - Any recommendations? - Collos25

I have been into a few tyre factories in my time and they way they make them is mainly to satisfy the customer from a optic point of view the tests that you see are done to such extreme limits the average driver will never ever come across these conditions.Most manufacturers have factories in china producing almost identical tyres with the same tread pattern but under another name the raw materials are identical the only difference is the price .And before everybody starts shouting they should look at the cars produced today many of the parts including some of the tyres are pre made in China and shipped to europe for finishing so they can have the EU country of origin stamp.