02 2.0 Wrong front coil spring? - theterranaut
Hi all,

getting an odd shudder through this car as I accelerate hard in any gear higher than 3rd. Shudder abates when you ease off the gas. Just noticed that the previous owner fitted a new coil spring at the front o/s.

How can I check that its the correct type? And could it cause a shudder under load? I noticed that when I had a 15-stone passenger in the front passenger seat the other day the shudder was virtually gone.

many thanks

tt
02 2.0 Wrong front coil spring? - Peter.N.
If the height is the same both sides I would think that the spring is right, can't see how it would cause a shudder anyway. Sounds like a drive shaft problem. If it has only appeared since the spring was fitted, make sure everything is bolted up tight.
02 2.0 Wrong front coil spring? - theterranaut
Thanks Peter.

Thought as much myself, and had it into the local garage for a look during the week. Bizarrely, was told that driveshaft problems cannot cause a shudder in a vehicle. So I took it away :(

(Back story is: clutch, flywheel and starter were renewed 3000 miles ago. Has had a shudder for about 1k miles. Local garage have renewed a tyre [fair enough], both outer c/v joints [I was skeptical], grand total of £250 to no avail. Then told me it had to be the flywheel, despite it having already been done. So, doubtfully took it back to the place that fitted clutch [160 mile journey] only for them to point to a wobbly o/s driveshaft. Took it back to Local garage, who still maintain that wobbling driveshafts would not cause a shudder. I'm not a mechanic but even I know they are talking cobblers. Why they think they can nod their heads wisely and talk of clutches when they've already had 2 cracks at the job, lightening me of £250 in the process, is beyond me.)

thanks for the reply-

tt