vRS - watch out..... - Avant
I went to collect my new Octavia vRS estate today....hang on, why hasn't it got cruise control as the brochure says it has? Salesman says cheerfully 'it can be retrofitted'. But that isn't quite the point.

Open bonnet. That looks just like the TDI PD engine in the Golf. Turns out that it is. This is an 08 model: the 09 has the common-rail engine which ib was expecting.

Obviously I won't name and shame the dealer - and to their credit they have not only found an 09 model in my chosen blue somewhere in the UK but lent me a vRS estate demonstrator for the duration.

This may not affect only Skoda - but if anyone on here is thinking of buying new, there is a lot of 08 stock still kicking around. Either go for this and get a good deal, or if you want the latest version make sure that's what you're getting.

It's a particular problem with the Octavia vRS as the cosmetic facelift applied to lesser Octavias hasn't been given to the vRS yet.
vRS - watch out..... - runboy
Bit like the guy over on the Skoda forum who bought a Octavia and was told it had the CR diesel, even the receipt said this I believe. Found out it was the PD engine and the dealer/garage were not keen on doing much for him.

Is this going to be a trait more and more as we see manufacturers chop and change specs and facelifts, different model years with options dropping on and off spec sheets? Must be fun for salesmen and dealers to work out what cars have what, but usually a call to the manufacturers helpdesk with a chassis number will get you the spec of your car, so I've read elsewhere.
vRS - watch out..... - BobbyG
Mmm, not sure if I would want the CR engine over the PD? The PD is tried and tested, yes it is noisier than CR typically but there are a helluva lot of PD engines out there across all VAG groups that are proving very durable.

VAG CR - how long have these been out?

But there again, I would love an Octavia vrS Estate!!!
vRS - watch out..... - Old Navy
VAG CR - how long have these been out?

Do VAG make their own CR system or buy it in like other manufacturers from the likes of Bosch, Seimens and Delphi ?
vRS - watch out..... - ifithelps
...I went to collect my new Octavia vRS estate today...

Avant,

Assuming the 08 car has been registered to you, it will have to be de-registered, or sold as a pre-reg, costing the dealer time, if not money.

They've messed up, but seem to be doing their best to sort it out.

We've all made mistakes, so on balance I think they should be 'named and praised' for customer care rather than 'named and shamed' for incompetence.

vRS - watch out..... - steve_earwig
Unless they were hoping he wouldn't notice... (which I gather is the subtext behind the post)
Yes, I suppose they may have been hoping that, although if Avant had noticed a week later he would still have an 08 car and an invoice showing he should have a 09 one.

But I take your point, so maybe the garage doesn't deserve quite as much credit as I thought it did.
vRS - watch out..... - Mr X
Surely when you complete that all important ' order form ' at the salesmans desk and place your deposit , if you are signing up for an 09 model and the order states that, the dealer is aware of that too. To try and then palm you off with an 08 version is little more than an act of criminal deception .

...criminal deception...

Unless you accept the dealer made a genuine mistake.

The OP says the 09 vRS has not been visibly facelifted, while other Octavias have.

I take cock-up over conspiracy every time.

vRS - watch out..... - Altea Ego
I am sorry, while i would happily have nearly every model of the octavia range in diesel (cr OR pd) It would never have crossed my mind to consider a vRS in anything other than 200bhp petrol. Its would be like having a three legged greyhound.
AE - a bit of me agrees with you, and I've been very tempted to have the petrol version. It's a lovely engine, torquier than many other high-performance petrol engines.

And yet -

- I still do 20,000 miles a year
- the diesel will go 500-600 miles on a tankful
- the petrol engine gives of its best only with expensive super-unleaded
- diesel Octavias hold their value better than petrol ones.

All very boring arguments - and I could still have gone for the petrol - but the 170 bhp diesel has so much shove low down the rev range and that suits my driving style.

On balance, re the dealer, I favour the cock-up rather than the conspiracy theory: the dealer principal looked much more surprised than guilty, and anyway it doesn't matter too much as long as I get the 09 model with the original deal.

In response to Mr X, the order form didn't actually state '09 model' but in contract law the current model would be an implied term, given that the order was placed in March 09. Also I'd shown my awareness of the new engine by discussing the limited edition version with them and looking under the bonnet of the one in the showroom.

Edited by Avant on 10/04/2009 at 12:31

vRS - watch out..... - smokescreen
Hving switched to a remapped 1.8t (non fsi version) lately, if your doing that kind of mileage it really does make sense to get a diesel... its only too easy to get sub 30mpg with the petrol.

Good thing I dont clock up too many miles!
vRS - watch out..... - mattbod
There is a guy on the Briskoda forum who got stung with this and he is taking legal advice ad the outcome with him was not happy. I personally can put up with the Pd's din as it feels much more muscular but you should get what you ask for.A mate of mine ordered a C220cdi and the dealer ended up trying to palm him off with a C250 Turbodiesel a few years ago.He had none of it.
I've found that thread on Briskoda now and the customer there bought a nearly-new vRS from a car supermarket last autumn, and used it for 3 months before discovering it was a PD: mine is new, ordered 31 March, from a Skoda dealer.

I din't think that the CR version had been out since last autumn.
I don't know when exactly it came out Avant but I know a few guys who bought CR VRS vehicles later last year. I am quite active on Briskoda and go to the local meets and there are a few 58 plate cars with the CR engine in them. Anyway glad Skoda have come up trumps for you. As you may know my turbo went pop a few weeks ago and they were very good about it, they will normally see you right. Compare and contrast with another manufacturer featuring on this forum at the moment!

I hope you enjoy your car anyway and look forward to maybe welcoming you on Brisky!
vRS - watch out..... - Bill Payer
Surely when you complete that all important ' order form ' at the salesmans desk
and place your deposit if you are signing up for an 09 model

Not at all - the car could have been built many months, possibly even years, before.

I walked away from buying a Ford because of this - Ford have 0.25, 0.5 and 0.75 model years. The dealer salespeople just shrug if you ask what you'll be getting and what the exact spec will be - they just say (and of course, this is in the small print on the order) that the spec may change between ordering and delivery.
"....the spec may change between ordering and delivery..."

Point taken BP, but this well-known occupational hazard is a bit different from ordering what you assume to be the current model and getting last year's - especially when an example of this year's is sitting in the showroom!
vRS - watch out..... - rtj70
I walked away from buying a Ford because of this - Ford have 0.25, 0.5 and 0.75 model
years. The dealer salespeople just shrug if you ask what you'll be getting

One reason when I got a Mondeo I got a Euro IV diesel. They didn't start building them until around the time I ordered. And it was going to be the facelifted one anyway.

On the other hand my Mazda6 would have been sat around - got one of the last of the previous model.
vRS - watch out..... - Alby Back
Sitting dear boy, sitting........

:-)
vRS - watch out..... - stunorthants26
Perhaps highlights the need to get an order form confirming exactly what you have ordered and insisting that it written down that it is specified with current specs and what they are.

Hope it get sorted.
Just resurrecting this thread to let anyone interested know that it did indeed get sorted, as the dealer had promised all along without question. As of yesterday I have a bright blue vRS estate with the CR 170 bhp engine, having had the use of a vRS PD estate ex-demonstrator meanwhile.

It was an honest mistake by the dealer and I can't fault the way they looked after me, so I think it's fair to name them - Jewsons of Oxford, part of the (family-owned) Ridgeway Group.

The CR engine is quite a bit more refined than the PD unit (although the Octavia PD was quieter than my previous Golf 2.0 TDI, for some reason). There's a more audible whirring from one of the belts (I'm not mechanic enough to know which one!) possibly because the engine itself is quiet.

The well-run-in demonstrator went like a bomb: too early to say how this one will go, but there seems to be plenty of power in reserve up to 3,500 rpm which is as high as I'm going at the moment.

Edited by Avant on 25/04/2009 at 20:05

One more thing - is anyone here also a member of the Briskoda forum? I registered about 2 weeks ago and they said I would receive an E-mail which was needed to 'activate' my membership (how I hate that word!). Nothing received - are they always so inefficient?
vRS - watch out..... - Alby Back
Well it is a Skoda forum after all...probably broke down !

Har de Har !

Sorry, very old, very out of date joke but couldn't resist !

;-)

Glad you got the one you wanted in the end Avant. Trust you will be very happy with it. Smart looking cars which seem to go very well. I'd quite like one.
Yes I am quite active on Briskoda. I am surprised that you are having diffiulties as it is a well run site as well as being very friendly. It is growing very fast however and this may be one of the reasons for the delay. Email one of the mods and they will sort you out qiuckly. If not get my email from one of the mods here and drop me a line and I will get things going for you. It is worth joining as it is a friendly site with a wealth of infomation. It also has a nice social scene with meets if you like that sort of thing.
vRS - watch out..... - FocusDriver
Sorry, very old, very out of date joke but couldn't resist !

You made me laugh Humph :)

I've just been looking on the internet at the very few vRSs for sale. Only 9 under £9k within 100 miles of me which is paltry. Very handsome looking cars, though too big for me. My brother lost his youngest son in the boot of his (normal version) some time ago. It's one of the most cavernous I've seen. Scary.
vRS - watch out..... - rtj70
If someone wanted one of the racing blue vRS petrol hatchbacks I know of someone selling one for less than £9k with average mileage for a 3 year old car. I have no reason to believe there has been any problems with it. He buys new and sells at just under 3 years.

It's on Autotrader (or was).
vRS - watch out..... - FocusDriver
Avant, i'd suggest you re-register. these emails are usually automated affairs and, if servers are busy, they can get lost, though really not very often it must be said.

"Activation" is used to filter out "bots" which register automatically. It's only to make sure there is a human at the end of the email address you give them. Not like the other type of "activation" which validates software licencing.
vRS - watch out..... - Pugugly
Was a member of Briskoda - well run site, no problems. Since I sold the Roomie not been back !
Come back and join us Pug. I'd say only about half of the Maidstone meet crew still drive Skodas but still visit the site to chat. Any car enthusiast is welcomed on the site, you don't have to own a Skoda.
vRS - watch out..... - Altea Ego
Avant - the email you need is probably in your spam folder. As it came from a mailing list your spam filter may have grabbed it.
vRS - watch out..... - the swiss tony
This may not affect only Skoda - but if anyone on here is thinking of
buying new there is a lot of 08 stock still kicking around. Either go for
this and get a good deal or if you want the latest version make sure
that's what you're getting.

08 stock still kicking around? yup... and some 07.... maybe even 06!
there are ways of checking - one that works with most makes, is to make a note of the VIN number, and chat to the parts dept (or maybe another dealers parts dept !)
the VIN normally gives the production date.
another way would be to look behind a piece of trim (engine cover maybe) there is normally a date marked, perhaps a 'clock dial' cast into the plastic with month/year when the trim was made - most parts arrive at the car factory 'just on time' so wouldnt have be sat around for long.
vRS - watch out..... - daveyjp
After being tempted by an Octavia I registered on Briskoda - e-mail came back by the time I had chance to log into my e-mail.

There are a few old stock VRS remaining, hence the mess up. The facelifted VRS is due later this year.

I have been to two Skoda dealers, one of them twice, speaking to a different salesman each time and their lack of product knowledge has put me off the brand.

Edited by daveyjp on 25/04/2009 at 21:51

vRS - watch out..... - Tornadorot
the VIN normally gives the production date.
another way would be to look behind a piece of trim (engine cover maybe) there
is normally a date marked perhaps a 'clock dial' cast into the plastic with month/year
when the trim was made - most parts arrive at the car factory 'just on
time' so wouldnt have be sat around for long.

It should be easier than that.... on my Audi, I'm pretty sure the sticker showing the VIN, engine code, option codes etc. that can be found (IIRC) in the service logbook and under the boot carpet has the date of manufacture (or month and year at least) on it too. I would imagine other make have similar production data records inside the car or documentation.
Mattbod - that's very kind of you. My E-mail address is on my profile, so if you could let me knowe your E-mail address I can reply to you.

I tried applying with a different username and my other address, with the same lack of result.
vRS - watch out..... - merlin
Maybe there's an over aggressive spam filter somewhere. I know aol had a big problem with spam so it's possible they are blocking the activation mail. What about setting up a throwaway hotmail or yahoo address that you can access through their website?
Merlin - many thanks: an excellent idea and it worked! I'm now Zdenek Fibich on Briskoda (he was a fine old Bohemian composer as famous in his day as his contemporaries Dvorak and Smetana, now known only for 'Poem').
Hope you enjoy the site Avant, it's a nice friendly site where people tend to stay even if they no longer own a Skoda. I look forward to meeting you there!
vRS - watch out..... - merlin
Glad to hear it worked. I post on Briskoda myself and I don't even own a Skoda. Having said that I did once drive an Estelle that belonged to an ex all the way from Norfolk to Scotland and back. It was ok on the flat but wasn't too good at steep hill starts on the narrow roads in Scotland. I remember once having to reverse to the bottom of a hill just to get going again. Can't imagine having that problem in a vRS!
What are you known as on Brisky Merlin?