First sightings - over or underwhelmed - guygamps
Hi,

I tend to know about new models reading as I do various printed and web-based motoring media, yet the first time I see a new model on the road I often am surprised oneway or the other by my reaction this happened just yesterday, and got me thinking about a few other instances over the years...

First there is the "you've got to be kidding" type negative reaction...

first time I saw a jag X-type, something about the grill/front bumper seemed all out of proportion like a sticking out bottom lip, looked terrible in the flesh

first time I saw a Honda CR-V (new shape), thought it was nearly as ugly as the infamous Ssanyong Rodius, but have since grown to like it.

first time I saw a Seat Altea - what a mess..

first time I saw the latest Mondeo hatch - does no one else think that stylistically it is a slab sided lump, though I have to say the estate looks great.

Then there is the "wow whats that!... oh of course it is the new abcxyz" type positive reaction - doesn't happen as often, but here's a few (not including supercars or exotica)

First time I saw the new Fiesta, (in 5 door guise), couldn't and still can't quite believe it, really lovely

First time I saw the current shape Seat Leon - despite the front being basically the same as Altea it just looks great all around. Shame about the interior

then yesterday, first time I saw the new Megane.

its not often that an everyday as opposed to supercar turns heads, but there are a few of my examples that have done so for me.
First sightings - over or underwhelmed - nick
Audi Q7. I saw pictures and thought it was pointless vehicle. Having seen a few, I'd love one.
Audi R8, looked only ok in the pics but gorgeous in the metal.
First sightings - over or underwhelmed - smilleynially
The new Mondeo estate looks far more better looking than the hatchback, a real head turner. For the previous MK's it was always the other way round with the estates looking very ugly compared to the hatchbacks, in my opinion.
First sightings - over or underwhelmed - bell boy
I reckon if you debadged a mondeo estate its looks so good you could mistake it for something tasty from a german manufacturer
First sightings - over or underwhelmed - madux
It is German!!
First sightings - over or underwhelmed - spikeyhead {p}
I was at last month's PetrolheadNirvana meet at the Ace cafe. There was the usual array of Porsches and Italian exotica as well as a lot of other interesting metalwork. However once an Enzo arrived everyone seemed to stop and gawp a little. It is a truly stunning vehicle from almost every angle.

Its been a long while since anything ordinary evoked any emotion in me at all.
First sightings - over or underwhelmed - DP
There are lots of cars I really like the styling of, but for sheer wow factor, the most recent "affordable" ones are the Volkswagen Scirocco and the new Renault Laguna Coupe. Both actually made me stop and stare the first time I saw them, and both are far superior in the metal than in photos.

Edited by DP on 10/04/2009 at 00:11

First sightings - over or underwhelmed - gordonbennet
Few cars do it for me either and that includes the so called supercars of recent times.

One of the most desirable looking cars to me is the Dodge Charger, not the Challenger for some reason, only seen a couple on the road and they look great, rarity helps obviously.
Lexus 3 and 4 series too (not 2 series though), and new Skyline, Genesis (Hyundai's US luxury offering),
Volvo 60/80, Citroen C6, Fiat 500, all different but striking in their own way.

Can't stand the new Audi line up at all, and not keen on the rest of the newer German or French offerings either, thinking here of just how handsome and well proportioned the E39 was as an example of before, or Laguna 2 even (one before the current bland thing).
The cloned fleet cars from the usual culprits don't inspire either, especially the new Accord, what on earth possessed them, true it looks different to all the others but....
First sightings - over or underwhelmed - Rattle
Wow:-

The new jag range I am not a fan but I really really love the Jags they look like poor mans Aston Martins and since I have always promised myself an Aston Martin now know I can one day pick up one of these jags at 15 years old for just £800 :D

The Kia Proceed just looks like such a big massive step up form anything they have made before I was very impressed when I last saw one, but then came to the conlusion I would rather have a 207. The Kia ia nice car but rather pointless rather like my Corsa the competition is better but I liked the seller and the car was genuine and I imagine the Kia sells in the same away.

Not so wow:-

Grand Punto just dosn't seem to look as sleep as the older ones.

Renault Twingo should have been more exciting.

First sightings - over or underwhelmed - PoloGirl
Wow...

Scirocco - serious contender to replace the Golf a year early in July, in Viper Green.
Jaguar XJ - just beautiful and I love the front.
Alfa Brera - I still remember the first time I saw it, in a gorgeous pale metallic blue. Stunning.
The new Fiesta - I still think it looks really great compared to the old ones.

Blah...

The new Golf - they've done nothing except round off the back and make the lights look funny.
The new Skoda Fabias when they came out. Oh dear oh dear. They look like cheap rollerskates. And this from someone who loved the cute boxiness of the old vRS.

First sightings - over or underwhelmed - L'escargot
I'm really not bothered what cars look like. When it comes to buying one I'm only interested in practical aspects such as the price, performance (in all respects), comfort, specification, reputation for reliability, nearness of dealer, and colour ~ usually in that order. Gone are the days when cars on the road turn my head.
First sightings - over or underwhelmed - krs one
Most Bangle designed BMWs. 1 series especially, I thought it looked like a bad joke when it came out but now love the way it looks, especially with the right wheels.

Still can't stand the 6 series.
First sightings - over or underwhelmed - mike hannon
When the Bentley Continental R was unveiled at the Geneva show in the early 1990s it got a spontaneous round of applause from the assembled journos, etc.
If it was unveiled again now the same thing would happen. Quite right too.
And now you can have one for the price of an Audi, if you're brave. One I looked at even had a baby seat in the back!

Edited by mike hannon on 10/04/2009 at 11:53