00 2.0 Upgrading an HDi from 90bhp to a 110 - ianjoh
Hi all
I am currently looking to replace my 180k plus Hdi with a lower mileage one. I have found several possibilities but they are only 90bhp and I need the extra power for towing etc. What are the main differences between the 90 and 110, eg intercooler & ecu remapping and what are the possibilities of a competent diy upgrade. I would consider using my 110hdi as a doner vehicle.
Also, what year did peugeot introduce the FAP as I want a pre Fap model!
00 2.0 Upgrading an HDi from 90bhp to a 110 - steve_earwig
Lots and lots of work, a remap would be easier (don't forget to tell your insurers).

Some of the last 406 HDi 110s are meant to have FAPs but mine's an '04 and it doesn't have one. In fact I've never even heard of one. Best way to tell would be to peer underneath, the FAP is longer than the standard cat, has a perforated heat shield round it and upstream and downstream sensors for that traditional *ANTI POLLUTION FAULT* "oh no my FAP's blocked up and I've run out of kidneys to sell" moment.
00 2.0 Upgrading an HDi from 90bhp to a 110 - bathtub tom
Would you notice the difference?

You probably use torque more than power when towing (torque being a function of power and revs - I'm told). Comparisons of the different engines torque and power curves could be quite enlightening.
00 2.0 Upgrading an HDi from 90bhp to a 110 - oldtoffee
I had a tuning box fitted to my 03 HDi 90bhp taking it to 110bhp. It made a huge difference, turning it from lethargic to quite brisk and much better on motorways and A roads especially on inclines. It didn't hurt the fuel economy probably because I didn't have to work the engine and hold on to gears to get to speed and maintain it.
Hi Guys
Thanks for your input - it looks like an after-market remap may be the the best solution. Good news on the FAP though!
00 2.0 Upgrading an HDi from 90bhp to a 110 - Andrew-T
I had a tuning box fitted to my 03 HDi 90bhp taking it to 110bhp

Is there any internal difference in the engines which may be important, such as heavier-duty crankshaft or bearings?
00 2.0 Upgrading an HDi from 90bhp to a 110 - steve_earwig
The 90 bhp doesn't have a DMF (a major plus), other than that, nothing.

Not sure about tuning boxes myself, all the do is up the fuel pressure. People seem to get better results from a remap too.
00 2.0 Upgrading an HDi from 90bhp to a 110 - paulc924
Fitted a dragon box to my 306 and what a difference! Cleared it with my insurer first and an extra £15 per year. Bit of a git to fit though.
paul
Sounds good - can you give me some more details please.
00 2.0 Upgrading an HDi from 90bhp to a 110 - paulc924
Yes, of course. I had been thinking about it for a long time but couldn't believe that the economy could improve as well as the acceleration. I found one on e-bay to fit my Bosch system (Siemens was used as well) and cleared it with my insurer by detailing that although the unit would produce more power, my aim was to increase economy in these times of high fuel prices. They approved it in writing and I fitted it. It is connected to a sensor on the common rail and although not easy to fit, was well worth it. The seller helped by taking photos of his fit and sent them to me. I was determined to disprove the economy claim and before I fit it I did a brim to brim test of town driving and a few trips to our caravan. After fitting and another tank of similar driving I found that the economy had gone from about 53 to 57 m.p.g.. Of course it is less with hard driving but I believe still improved. My wife noticed an improvement in the car claiming it to much more powerful, smoother and easier to drive. The morale of the story is that I should have fitted one years ago. Regards.