95 1.9td smokes on startup. initial lumpy running - xlcelt
Hi, I have had a problem with my xantia smoking on start up, and lumpy running for 20sec then it settles down and drives as sweet as a nut. But if I am stuck in traffic with it idling for any length of time then accelerate I get a big cloud of smoke out of the exhaust it then clears and all is ok.i don't have to top the oil up between services so it is not burning much. I have changed the glow plugs and the injectors, I thought it might be valve stems but there is no smoke going down hill on the over run.Could it be turbo seals worn ?The smoke is bluish white and apart from that the car drives well,fuel,oil and air filters are new,there is no sludge in the oil or water and it has done 72000 miles.any pointers much appreciated.

{subject header amended to include a brief summary of question being asked}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/04/2009 at 22:21

95 1.9td smokes on startup. initial lumpy running - oldnotbold
If all else fails, try the Italian tune-up regime - get the engine fully warm, and then take it close to the red line in third and hold it there for 30-60 seconds. Might clear some muck from the system, and won't do any harm.

72k on a 95 is very low - can you validate that mileage?
95 1.9td smokes on startup. initial lumpy running - jc2
Shouldn't get much oil down valve stems-no manifold vacuum.
yes the milage is low, the car belonged to my father who only used it once or twice a week for a return trip of about 5 miles.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/04/2009 at 14:49

just got home and thought i'd try this, engine nice and hot let it tick over for 5 mins and then floor it, big cloud of oily smoke out of the back end, let it tick over for a few secs then held it at 3000rpm got a cloud of smoke then it cleared whilst still holding the revs, let it tick over then floor it got another big cloud of smoke
95 1.9td smokes on startup. initial lumpy running - jonat127
The cold starting prob sounds like the glow plugs to me. If they are not working efficiently or one is not working at all then you will get very inefficient combustion on start up producing white smoke.
Flooring any older diesel will produce a cloud of black smoke due to over fueling, i,e, the engine needs to catch up with the fuel pump delivery and it takes a few fractions of a second to do so.
If you are not using excessive amounts of oil then I don't think it's anything to worry about although you should get the glowplugs replaced before the winter or you will have starting problems.
Jon
The cold starting prob sounds like the glow plugs to me. If they are not
working efficiently or one is not working at all then you will get very inefficient
combustion on start up producing white smoke.
Flooring any older diesel will produce a cloud of black smoke due to over fueling
i e the engine needs to catch up with the fuel pump delivery and it
takes a few fractions of a second to do so.

i checked the glowplugs with a multimeter and there is no resistance,i understand the black smoke scenario, but it is the white/blue smoke after it has warmed up and left ticking over for a while that has got me stumped.
95 1.9td smokes on startup. initial lumpy running - rossinatrench
Hi

If its lumpy it missfireing which is nothing to worry about, I have had several of these engines in Peugeots and its not a problem and wont damage the engine. You could try and replace the possible injector thats at fault! As for the white/blue smoke - its normal for the XUD9TE to do so even after warmed up as it is often a result of the cold exhaust. If it continues after the exhaust is hot, then you might be using a small amount of oil...it doesn't take much to create smoke and again is nothing to worry about. It might be worth checking if there are any cracks in the intercooler, this can sometimes cause a bit of extra smoke. I wouldn't really worry about the smoke unless you are going trough oil and water quickly.

hope this helps!
Thanks for all the reply s, it has been mentioned that the valve stem oil seals may be leaking, I,m not worried about the engine as it is not loosing water or much oil but a little concerned about the MOT and emission test.
95 1.9td smokes on startup. initial lumpy running - David Horn
just got home and thought i'd try this engine nice and hot let it tick
over for 5 mins and then floor it big cloud of oily smoke out of
the back end let it tick over for a few secs then held it at
3000rpm got a cloud of smoke then it cleared whilst still holding the revs let
it tick over then floor it got another big cloud of smoke

I would do this with load on the engine, not unloaded. Search the forum for opinions regarding the diesel MOT smoke test which is conducted in a similar way.

Best time is at night with a car behind - you can see the cloud of crud in their headlights.
95 1.9td smokes on startup. initial lumpy running - ianjoh
If you are worried about excessive smoking at the MOT you can use a little cheat for the test that worked for me every time. Locate the small pipe between the inlet manifold an the fuel pump, it is black rubber about 8mm dia. Pull it off from the pump, cover the spiggot with a piece of plastic bag about 1" dia, then slide the pipe back on over the plastic. This will stop the extra fuelling as the boost pressure rises and hence reduce the smoke, you will lose a lot of power but still have enough to get you to the test. As soon have you get the ticket remove the plastic!
I had to do this on mine as I had "tuned" the pump for extra power which made it go like a rocket and smoke a tad!