1999 2.5 non starter - Mikomi
Approaching a junction, my 1999 Boxer sputtered and died. Tried restarting and engine turned over fast a couple of times and then nothing at all, completely dead.

Towed home, recharged battery, and still no response from starter. Battery is fine, checked main earth cable from gearbox to wing, that's fine too. I have sidelights, but no headlights, radio works fine, etc.

My first instinct was the earth cable, a common problem on these vans, but its okay. Is there another earth cable worth finding and checking. Also, whereabouts is the starter located, I cannot find it from above, do I need to take off the under tray?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/04/2009 at 13:27

Have now checked all connections and cables at the battery end of things. Everything is fine there.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mike
1999 2.5 non starter - steve is trying
Hi Mikomi,
After reading the 'Tried restarting and engine turned over fast' part my first thought were the cam belt. Does or did it turn over very fast? A suggestion would be to take off the oil filler cap then look into the roker box cover whilst someone is turning the engine over to see if the cam shaft is operating. Dont put your finger in there though, just look using a torch.
When I had a cam belt go on a Xantia, the cam shaft snapped in three places and wrecked the cam shaft caps, I had to replace the top end from a scrappy as you cant buy the caps without the head.
Hope this is of some help and the belt is ok.
All the best
Steve
Thanks Steve. No, the engine will not turn over at all, no response from the starter. I've rechecked everything today. Theres 12.65 volts at the starter motor, but it will not turn over on the key.

Thoughts-

Starter solenoid - Would a faulty starter solenoid cause the van to cut out?
Ignition switch fault perhaps?
Relay?

Any help appreciated.

1999 2.5 non starter - thomp1983
will it bump start at all?

chris
Thanks Chris. No it wont - we tried that when towing it home.

Mike
1999 2.5 non starter - thomp1983
try connecting a jump lead from the positive terminal to the positive on the starter and see if it turns over then, this should help you decide if it's a faulty starter unit or a wiring/switch issue

chris