99 1.8 Power steering fluid - ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
The power steering fluid on my T reg 1.8 Vectra is low. When I say low. Its JUST touching the bottom of the little dipstick thing.

I'm asking you good people because I really dont know.
Should I just by new steering fluid or...... Will it be ok to use this one I have in the garage.
Its 3+ years old and says on it....
SILVER HOOK power steering fluid
Universal
Ford M2C 33G
Dexron 11D & R

Can anyone advice please?

Regards,

Dave
99 1.8 Power steering fluid - Hamsafar
The correct one is TQ Dexron III, but it will probably be fine.
Thanks Hamsafar.

I know it say ford on it as I put it in a old mondeo I had but was wondering if it would be ok for the Vectra.
Thanks for the help.
99 1.8 Power steering fluid - Woodspeed
For goodness sake don't use it. Ford and GM have different spec oils for PS and autoboxes, as they use different rubber seals. Ford in a GM box caused leaks after only a short time. Get the right fluid for peace of mind.

Edited by Webmaster on 31/03/2009 at 01:39

Thanks for the advise Woodspeed. I'll buy the correct one today.
99 1.8 Power steering fluid - pablonumerouno
I have a 200 model and found that the fluid container is leaking needed to top up every week. Make sure this isnt the problem first.
99 1.8 Power steering fluid - rossinatrench
Hi

I just use Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF for short) to top up my Vectra, Megane and 306. its the same stuff at power steering fluid but a hell of a lot cheaper! I just use what brand happens to be available (Carlube at the moment), has been fine in any car I have owned over the years with no wear or corrosion to seals. (p.s. not that my cars go through it fast, just a bit every few years)

hope this helps