02 1.6 (8valve) service Questions - redviper
Hi All

I know I have asked this before, but I would like some more advice from you knowledgeable peeps.

I would like to bring forward the servicing on my 52 plate Vauxhall Astra 1.6 8v Petrol (currently 47k).

The reason I?m bringing it forward, is that Im going to be travelling down to Luton, and I have managed to convince the mrs that the Astra will get us there and back trouble free.
So to minimise potential issues I would like to bring the service forward but mainly because its 7k miles overdue a cam belt change.

I have rang my trusted local independent and have asked for the following

Service (Plugs, Filters (Air, Oil, Pollen and Fuel)), Fresh Oil)
Cambelt Change, Inc Water pump and associated pulley wheels.
Thermostat change (while they have the belt off).

They have quoted me ?around £500?

I rang my Local Vauxhall dealer, and they said that it dosent need any of the above, only a oil and filter change, and that would be IIRC £180.

I believe that it DOES need a cambelt change, and im very sure that the manual (I don?t have it to hand) says that it is due at 40k but Vauxhall say that its not

Does the independent price seem like a good deal for the work that needs doing?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 31/03/2009 at 01:38

Astra service Questions - mfarrow
Most engines on these require (as you rightly describe) a cambelt change at 40k.

However, if you have the 8v 1.6 petrol (engine code Z16SE) then you can wait until 75k miles or 8 years.
Astra service Questions - Dynamic Dave
Vauxhall's official recommendation for the Z16SE is 80k/8 years.

img451.imageshack.us/img451/5494/astragwl7.jpg

Astra service Questions - SpamCan61 {P}
>>I rang my Local Vauxhall dealer, and they said that it dosent need any of the above, only a oil and filter change, and that would be IIRC £180.

Flippin 'eck, is that with a gold plated filter or something....sounds at least double what I'd expect even for a main dealer. Most modern cars will do serious mileages day after day month after month without hassle, I wouldn't bother with bringing the service forward, just check oil level, tyre pressures etc.
Astra service Questions - redviper
Hi All

Thanks for the wonderfull (as always) advice, its certainly helped

Thanks DD .for the link, ill keep a copy of that, so according to that its safe to say there is another 30K or so left in the belt yet :-)

Ill will probs just get the standard service items and leave the belt alone for now, as reading through the Image DD posted, Vauxhall recommend that the 16V is 40k, and the 8V is 80K,

im really looking forward to the trip, I love driving and more often than not drive down to Bristol with work, so im looking forward to the Journey down there..

We have also got our 1st SAT NAV, and at the moment the novelty factor of it, hasnt worn off . although used them before (we usually borrow one) im so looking forward to using it for the trip, :-)

The Mrs would rather take the C4, but i want to give the Astra a run out, as its a while since its been on a proper "road trip" its normally just used for the drive to work, supermarket etc.

Although we are off to Devon at the bank Holiday weekend so we are taking the C4 then.

Hi All
im really looking forward to the trip

There's not many people say that about a trip to Luton ;-)
The Mrs would rather take the C4 but i want to give the Astra a
run out as its a while since its been on a proper "road trip" its
normally just used for the drive to work supermarket etc.

Sounds like a good idea to me, all cars benefit from a decent run now and again IMHO.
There's not many people say that about a trip to Luton ;-)

LOL Ive never been before, we are off to the Vauxhall Open day, thought it might be worth a look :-)
>>
>> There's not many people say that about a trip to Luton ;-)
>>
LOL Ive never been before we are off to the Vauxhall Open day thought it
might be worth a look :-)

Yes, I'd be interested to see what it looks like these days, I was born and bred there but escaped 20 years ago.
SpamCan61 {P}

LOL! Your reply made me laugh, Ive always found the VX dealer to be a little on the pricy side, although I went in last year as part of my service for a aircon service, and that was £60, i thought that to be good value.

But when I asked for the car to have a software update via the tech 2, I went to pick up the car, after i was told it had been done, only to be told it hadnt as the technician could not understand what was meant by it.
On the service sheet the lady i spoke to on the phone when i booked it wrote down "soft wear update".

The receptoinist pointed to it on the service sheet, and said "we didnt understand this, please can you explain"
As they had the car all day i told them to forget it, i could not be bothered to explain what i meant

Edited by redviper on 30/03/2009 at 22:40

Are there any other Vauxhall dealers vaguely local you could try? They don't all charge the same prices, worth shopping around. Another one might know what 'software' is....
>> Are there any other Vauxhall dealers vaguely local you could try? They don't all charge
the same prices worth shopping around. Another one might know what 'software' is....

LOL! - there are some others in the next town, ill give them a try and see what they say :-)
Astra service Questions - bell boy
wow im in the wrong job--------------------------------------again
bullet proof the old 8 valve 1.6,i dont think they even have the troublesome egr on this year
all this car needs is an engine service and a safety check,any decent independant can do this without pulling your trousers down,500 smacks is a joke unless they trade from kensington high street
personally i guess you went in and they saw you as an easy stroke
keep away from them and find another independant
dont think much of the main dealer either
i will do it all for 499 on a sunday if you wish;-)
Astra service Questions - davidh
This 8v engine - is it related to what used to be called the "family 1" engine? ISTR that engine was non-interference meaning the cambelt could snap and the internals of the engine wouldnt clash. My BiLs Mk2 Astra "twanged" its belt in a layby at idle and the breakedown service just put another belt on it an off he went!

Vauxhall, again if memory served used the Family 2 engine first and then seemingly dropped back to the family 1 engine for later cars because it had more torque.

Obviously you dont want to be stranded so its best to do the belt when its needed.
Astra service Questions - diddy1234
I had an 1.6l Astra on a 52 plate.
I also paid a similar amount for a full service (only to keep the full service history up to date) at 48,000 miles.

The car drove like new after wards until the engine light came on 5 miles down the road and the car went into limp mode.
It turned out that a software update to the ecu had not been performed.

took it in the next day and this was also updated.

I imagine that I could have just had a new cam belt done at a different garage for alot cheaper but wanted to keep the service history on the car (this helped keep the value of the car when part exchanging it).

top tip, phone around different Vauxhall dealerships, they charge different prices for the same service.
Astra service Questions - Dynamic Dave
top tip phone around different Vauxhall dealerships they charge different prices for the same service.

Probably because some of them are Masterfit dealers. Any Vauxhall over 3 yrs old generally qualifies for cheaper servicing through Masterfit. Same parts, same technicians, just cheaper.