The sun's bringing them out. - 1400ted
Nice day today, sun out and birds singing in our tree. Got the Suzi V out to go for a paper...well, it is a couple of hundred yards, while SWMBO did bacon and eggs.

Pulled up at a stop sign and there was a huge crash a the nearside rear of the old girl ( car, not wife ). Looked in the mirror and saw a lycra clad jogger sliding down the passenger door into the gutter. Now, Suzi dosn't like that sort of thing so I got out to see if there was any injury. Fotunately not, there were no dents and apart from disturbing the muck, ( he'll be no stranger to the washing machine today ) the paintwork was OK. In the meantime, our kamikaze jogger had fired a mouthful of lewd abuse in my direction and made good his escape. I have never seen anyone limp at such a speed. I reported the incident as a RTA in case he 'threw a seven' during the night. The lads at the nick had good laugh !

If I knew where he lived, I could go and run into his car...my 16 stone could do a bit of serious damage !
I suppose all those friends of Coronary Care will be coming out now, Joggers, Squash and Golf players, etc.

At least, I can be proud to say I had my Myocardial Infarction the proper way, 4 frames of snooker, 4 pints o Websters bitter with crisps and a little activity at home later !
The only way to go !

Ted

Edited by PoloGirl on 03/04/2009 at 20:06

The Sun's bringing them out. - bell boy
interesting but whats a suzi v?
good idea to report it as you said mind
The Sun's bringing them out. - gordonbennet
. In
the meantime our kamikaze jogger had fired a mouthful of lewd abuse in my direction

Ah his cycle must have a puncture then, is there something in this pervy lycra gear that makes 'em so ill tempered, too tight round the nethers?

Pleased for you there's no damage to the Zuki.;)
The Sun's bringing them out. - welshlad
i had simular happen today a cyclist on a racing bike in the full perv gear (very tight shorts) had to brake behind me at a roundabout and had a fit because ' it had put him off his pace', regardless of the fact that if he had kept his pace he would have been splatted by any one of the cars on the roundabout (the very reason i felt compelled to stop).luckily i had the roof down at the time so he was unable to miss the one fingered salute i gave him as i pulled away.

Edited by rtj70 on 29/03/2009 at 23:21

The Sun's bringing them out. - Avant
Yes, i too wondered what a Suzi V was - I'd imagined a motorbike until Ted referred to a passenger door. Must be a Suzuki Vitara.

Or a motorbike with a sidecar? No, I don't think so.

Edited by Avant on 29/03/2009 at 23:36

The Sun's bringing them out. - Lud
Suzuki Vitara?

And ted said a jogger, not a cyclist. Not the most coordinated one would think.
The Sun's bringing them out. - 1400ted
Love 'em, dontcha ?

Suzuki Vitara LWB TD Auto....old but bold !

Sidecar with a door ? must be a Busmar, remember them ? You could take the wife and six kids but you needed an Ariel Square four to move it !

The man across the road from me jogs...tree-hugger, sandals, etc. Legs like twiglets. He arrives back home from run, then runs round in circles in the road to make up his milage....prat! I watch him from my chair in the dining room whilst enjoying a few glasses of red, SWMBO's pork pie with egg and a sticky pudding !

Looking forward to some more jogger/cyclist fun during the summer.

Ted
The Sun's bringing them out. - Armitage Shanks {p}
Sidecar with a door! Been there, done that and got the T Shirt. Panther 650 single, known as a 'sloper'. £299 from Claude Rye in South London i 1964, with a double adult Watsonian (I think). Was invited not to park it in front of the Orficers Mess at my place of work, snobs!
The Sun's bringing them out. - Andrew-T
I don't think we're getting the whole story. Cyclists and joggers usually take great care to avoid piling into vehicles, it's too painful. And on a clear dry day, they should manage to avoid them. What really happened?
The Sun's bringing them out. - 1400ted
He was running along the main road. If I hadn't been stopped there he would have just crossed 'my' road and continued. Unfortunately for him he probably just wasn't looking. I was simply stopped on the line.

Probably concentrating n his WikiMP3Podi or whatever they're called, or head filled with pretty butterflies.

Had the same thing happen with a cyclist years ago...just rode off the pavement into the side of my van....must attract 'em, 2 in 30 years !

Ted
The Sun's bringing them out. - Sofa Spud
Reminds me of the jogger who, rather than wait to cross the road at a roundabout, jogged onto the roadway and made me give way to him!
The Sun's bringing them out. - sierraman
I have had this happen a few times(S S's experience).Why would you risk life and limb rather than 'break pace'?Also,where I live ,there are woods,a big park with a ruined abbey in it and a canal towpath,yet they run down a busy main road sucking in traffic fumes.My mind would boggle if it could be bothered.
The Sun's bringing them out. - Pizza man
it's the mothers with the prams who put 2 wheels into the road to get you to give way that make my mind boggle...
The Sun's bringing them out. - doctorchris
We had a similar incident on Aberystwyth sea front in the 80s, driving a Ford Anglia at modest speed.
A jogger ran straight into the side of the car and bounced off. A second or two earlier and he would have been knocked down, so in fact avoided any significant injury.
I think the Adrenalin and Endorphins generated by jogging switch off normal, logical care and attention.
The Sun's bringing them out. - Paul G1pdc
just thought i'd add a story...
I am a sort of runner!!! (don't ware lycra just loose shorts)
12stone and 5ft 10. and like fish and chips and "Old Hookey" bitter
running / jogging / walking the London Marathon for diabetes UK next month...
my story was running along a footpath next to a flooded road (last summer) and having a MINI (new plastic one rather than proper rusty one) beeping me to move over as SHE didn't want to drive down the flooded road and was behind me on the pavement...
excuse me,,,,where should I go....into the road.....
ho hum...
also got taken out by an old dear driving from her house over the pavment to the road edge and not looking to see if the pavement/cycle path was clear first. bruised pride
keep up the good stories...
and whilst you guys are eating your cooked breakfasts at 9:45 on the 26th april switch on the telly and check out the mugs like me I'll be waring a bright pink affro wig and pink and black vest////hahahah
well if it helps me raise a few pounds why not....
Paul
(dad to steve who became type 1 diabetic aged 3 years (pancreas failed)
so needs 3 injections of insulin per day.)
The Sun's bringing them out. - madf
AS a runner of 30 years' standing I resent these aspersions about runners.
Indeed, the effect of running means the runner becomes endowed with a well developed cardiovascular system bringing more blood to the brain: and hence developing alertness.

The cases mentioned are clearly of people who need pity and help rather than ridicule and superiority.

After all, yesterday I was followed (when driving) by a spotty faced 17? year old ona motorbike, L plates and wobbles... keeping no more than 2 metres away from my rear bumper. Several attempts to warn him failed.. and when I braked hardish from 30 round a corner on meeting a line of traffic,, he nearly hit me.. and sped down my inside just missing me and the car in front.

All you have been describing is Darwinism in action, delayed yes, but ultimately it will work.

Runners, motorcyclists, MPs fiddling expenses @: all get their just desserts eventually.

In 27 years of running I have been bitten by 4 dogs, chased by a bull but never hit a car or other moving vehicle...Which is why I am alive today at the age of 123 in full possession of all my faculties and...

Edited by madf's nurse on the grounds that his pacemaker was fibrillating.

The Sun's bringing them out. - Lud
all get their just desserts eventually.

So do chubby coppers with legs like mighty trunks of oak. See ted's reference to sticky puddings above.
The Sun's bringing them out. - daveyjp
It's also bringing bikers out, so be prepared for them and let them pass.

First death on the A65 across the Dales reported on local news this morning - unfortunately I doubt it will be the last.
The Sun's bringing them out. - madf
"It's also bringing bikers out"

Congleton to Buxton road yesterday had signs saying 20 deaths/major injuries to bikers in past 5 years.

No obvious nutters yet.. but no doubt they will come later on:-(
The Sun's bringing them out. - regent
It certainly is, got overtaken by 5 bikers heading away from Alton on ped crossing zig zag lines, as they headed for their suicide run on the A32.

Does driving a MC exclude all riders from adhering to all speed limits, ignoring other road users, common sense!!
The Sun's bringing them out. - apm
Does driving a MC exclude all riders from adhering to all speed limits ignoring other
road users common sense!!

This is a bit of a generalisation. Most bikers (myself included) are sensible and have to have a high degree of road sense to avoid being injured by the many hazards that exist on the road today.

There are, sadly, those bikers that ride too fast for the prevailing conditions and/or exceed speed limits. There are car drivers that do the same.

Please don't tar all bikers with this brush, it's disingenuous.

Best regards,

Alex.
The Sun's bringing them out. - nortones2
Recent trips to Buxton: 1. bike overtook, as our car and another in the opposite direction passed, just after the Cat and Fiddle pub. Jam in sandwich I think its called. Completely unnecessary. 2. On way up to said pub, bike flew by, with rear number plate hinged up to avoid detection. Police ought to just try the number plates occasionally, on the pub car park:) I expect they'll discover a number of offences by the criminal minority. To add a little balance, most of the bikes were well and patiently ridden. But the moronic element need sorting out.