New car Rights - Daryl
I bought a brand new £16,500 vehicle back in March 02. It had the usually expected couple of flaws in the paintwork and some minor niggles which were presented to the Salesperson before I agreed to leave with the vehicle.

Trouble is, getting them put right :(

Now we are here in september 02 and after 12 courtesy cars and obviously a long period without driving my vehicle, the problems are still there.

Well .... the above is not strictly 100% accurate, one fault (The brakes squealing) still remains after 6 months. The rest are new problems created by (IMO) incompetant workmanship at the dealers. They range from holes in the bootlid, scratches on the bodywork, incorrectly re-fitted panels, sagging filler etc etc. The list could go on.

I even had to wait 4 months for a new servo and master cylinder to be fitted (Which they diagnosed as faulty to fix the squealing brakes, I am an ex-brakes designer ... go figure .. it didn't work)

I am now at the end of my tether, I really liked the car, but now I dont want it anymore, I think I have been patint enough. I am trying to get my money back ... Anyone with similar experiences / end results??

Please let me know

D
New car Rights - T Lucas
What kind of Alfa did you buy?
New car Rights - Toad, of Toad Hall.
What kind of Alfa did you buy?

Lotus or TVR surely?

--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.
New car Rights - Daryl
MG ZS 180 is the offending article
New car Rights - svpworld
oh the joys of buying a new car! I often wonder why people do....
How about compaining to Alfa UK or contact "What Car" the problems always seem to get fixed when a popular magazine gets involved the olny advantage I can see you having is that you have so many problems that they will be more inclined to get you a new car wereas if you had one slight niggle they would be less willing to help get you a new car. Why not get a solicitor on your case try one of these "No win no fee" solicitors and get there fee paid when you get what you want from Alfa. I know they are for accidents but still the principal is the same u want something for you inconveniance.
New car Rights - Pat L
Edd

Err, I think you need to re-read the thread. The lemon is an MG, not an Alfa (this time!)

Pat
New car Rights - Edd
Arrr sorry i didn't read the name properly we need to be able to edit our txt on this forum
New car Rights - BigTJ
Should have refused delivery in the first place. You're on much shakier ground once you've handed over your money and left the showroom.

IMHO, insist on checking the vehicle before fronting the wonga.

Faults on new cars aren't uncommon.
New car Rights - jeds
Unfortunately this is right. You can reject a car but it gets more and more difficult as time passes. I think you have passed the point of no return here and your only option is to be very persistant.

I can understand why you didn't reject it immediately - the faults seemed minor and at the time there was no reason to suspect they would not be put right. This is the problem with rejecting cars - by the time it becomes obvious you have a complete pile of c**p it's usually too late.
New car Rights - BigTJ
People are reluctant to reject the car because heart rules head. You've been looking forward to your new motor, you might even have told family and friends you're getting a new car, you haave your own disappointment and their derision to face if you go home in the old one.

Try and keep a clear head, signing for someone else's cock-up can work out expensive, frustrating and demoralising in the long run.

We've all done it, in some way or other...
New car Rights - Daryl
OK Guys,

This subject is now closed off. Out of my disappointment and frustration came experience which may prove helpful if any of you find yourselves in a similar boat.

First move is to contact the local press, if your case extends as long as mine did with as many problems they will be interested to take your photo and write your story. Be careful to be 100% accurate just in case you need to go further.

Next you should contact the RMIF (Retail Motor Industry Federation) and find out if your dealer is a member, if this is the case, and they are genuinely treating you unfairly, these guys can carry a lot of weight.

I tried the legal eagles, but unfortunately, as close as we are to the USA, we dont have the "Lemon Law" which they do. (This would have saved me about 5 months of anguish) The lemon law gives the dealer 3 chances, in most states to put things right, if they cant then it is a full refund or a brand new car.

As far as my case is concerned, I am now awaiting the delivery of a brand new vehicle of identical colour and spec. Fingers crossed that It's not a Lemon then eh!?!?!

D