HJ's road test - mattbod
I enjoyed this but am confused by HJ's description of the sequential turbos on the 3.0d. I thought with this set up the smaller low inertia turbo kicks in first with the larger turbo kicking in at higher revs.I know this is how the set up in the Beemer twin turbo Diesels works so why does the Jag have the large turbo coming in first?
HJ's road test - mattbod
Cheers John answers the question. Didn't doubt your accuracy but never come across this set up before. Sounds like a good way of doing things.
HJ's road test - Kevin
According to the Feb. issue of PlayJag the larger primary turbo is a variable geometry unit that does most of the work in everyday driving. It has been engineered to enable the engine to produce over 350lb-ft of torque in 500ms from idle. It gives the 3.0 Diesel S XF comparable acceleration figures to the 4.2 petrol XK.

Once above 2800rpm the smaller fixed-vane turbo is brought online to give extra grunt. When not in use it is isolated from exhaust and inlet tracts by ECU controlled valves to reduce pumping losses.

The injection system is precisely metered so there is no return to the fuel tank and the injectors can deliver five injections per cycle at 2000bar. Also, the EGR system is water cooled.

The engine already meets EU5 regs due in 2011.

I was invited to a test drive by my local dealer a few weeks ago and I really liked it. The SV8 is better though. If only funds weren't already committed to knocking the house around at the mo'. :-(

Kevin...
HJ's road test - Big Bad Dave
"I was invited to a test drive by my local dealer a few weeks ago and I really liked it. The SV8 is better though. If only funds weren't already committed to knocking the house around at the mo'."

Is the XF going to put an end to your love affair with the XJ Kevin? I wasn't terribly interested until I watched HJ's video road test but now I have the incentive to work a bit harder. The V8 sounds wonderful.

I say slap a coat of cheap magnolia all over the house and get the Jag.
HJ's road test - Kevin
>Is the XF going to put an end to your love affair with the XJ Kevin?

That's a difficult question and I'll wait until the new XJ is available before I make my mind up.

The interior of the XF is gorgeous. Modern but still 'Jaguar' if you know what I mean. It's also roomier inside than the SWB XJ but a bit more claustrophobic because of the higher waistline. My only criticism is that the ride quality isn't as good as my XJ probably because of the suspension and wheel package.

>I say slap a coat of cheap magnolia all over the house and get the Jag.

I'm still in the market for a SH Daimler SV with the right spec so all is not lost.

Kevin...
HJ's road test - Westpig
Auto Express has an article about the XF estate being shown at a September motor show.. now that's an interesting proposition.....not sure i'd get it past my Domestic Financial Director though... :-(
HJ's road test - Alby Back
XF estate eh ? Hmmmmmm !!

Must put my prices up.
HJ's road test - Kevin
>That's a difficult question and I'll wait until the new XJ is available before I make my mind up.

Received an invitation this morning to register for a test drive of the new XJ.

It will be "revealed" next week on the 9th July but I think customer deliveries will start in 4Q 2009.

Full technical details and the first official pics will be in the Aug. issue of Playjag.

Kevin...
HJ's road test - BB
Kevin, I have worked on X351 and from your comments I believe you will like it more than the XF :-)
HJ's road test - Kevin
>Kevin, I have worked on X351 and from your comments I believe you will like it more than the XF :-)

Mmmm! What do I have to do to get a longterm test mule. Say one year with an option to buy?

I'll take the supercharged petrol if no-one else wants it ;-)

Kevin...

PS. What can't you tell us about it?
HJ's road test - BB
Hi Kevin,

I have aksed one of the mods to pass my email address onto yourself.
HJ's road test - Dynamic Dave
I have asked one of the mods to pass my email address onto yourself.

Done.
HJ's road test - Westpig
what is Playjag?

Edited by Westpig on 03/07/2009 at 13:38

HJ's road test - ifithelps
...what is Playjag?...

Sounds like a magazine with lots of glossy pics of Jags with their doors splayed wide open. :)
HJ's road test - Westpig
Sounds like a magazine with lots of glossy pics of Jags with their doors splayed
wide open. :)

I could only find a site that has a load of computer games on it, which confused me.
HJ's road test - Kevin
>>...what is Playjag?...

>Sounds like a magazine with lots of glossy pics of Jags with their doors splayed wide open. :)

Almost.

It's Jaguar World Monthly magazine. Christened PlayJag by my missus.

Kevin...
HJ's road test - Kevin
Forgot to say that it's a pretty good magazine if you're into Jags.

The step by step technical how-to guides are very well done.

The July issue covered replacement of V8 front wheel bearings, fitting a 4-speed auto to a classic Jag, converting an XJ-S to outboard rear discs and tech tips about nuts, bolts and fasteners.

www.jaguar-world.com/

Kevin...
HJ's road test - Big Bad Dave
"www.jaguar-world.com/"

I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the weekend until you posted this Kevin but have now done about 36 straight hours reading all the forums. Fantastic stuff.

Devastated about Jacqueline's XJS, I'm almost tempted to start a whip-round. Will she fix it? Will she scrap it? Can't wait to find out.

My birthday is in September and in case you were wondering what to buy me, European subscription is about fifty quid.
HJ's road test - Kevin
>I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the weekend until you posted this Kevin but have now done about 36
>straight hours reading all the forums. Fantastic stuff.

My Glub! I hope some of that was on a Wi-Fi laptop, sat in the garden with a steady stream of cold beer or wasn't the weather so good?

>My birthday is in September and in case you were wondering what to buy me,..

I'll trade you for a case of Vodka. The good stuff!

Kevin...
HJ's road test - Westpig
It's Jaguar World Monthly magazine. Christened PlayJag by my missus.

Good one. I 'googled' Playjags.. and there is a site, which seems mostly in to computer games, but strangely has a load of adverts on it relating to Jaguar...so I wondered if my distinct lack of IT skills meant I was missing something obvious and there was another section to it...

Damn, I thought i was missing out on something and was about to learn of a great new site....and i already subscribe to JWM