2 litre - a lumpy engine? - Dave^^
Hallo folks

I'd appreciate your advice on a car I saw last week. I have a basic understanding of how engines work, but no real experience of what's normal and what's slightly dodgy, so please bear with me and I'll describe as best I can what I mean.

I went to see a W reg Mazda 626 2.0 at a dealer last week, just over 60k on the clock. After starting the engine, with the revs at idle speed (although the counter was showing around 1000 rpm) it felt there was more engine vibration in the cabin than I would have expected.

Under the bonnet, the engine felt, well, 'lumpy'. I don't know how to quantify 'lumpiness', but with one hand on the top of the engine there was definite side-to-side movement.

When blipping the accelerator, it hesitated a bit before picking up revs. I don't know how long the vehicle had been in the parking lot before I started it.

In comparison, when I looked at my Renault 1.4L at start up, on that car there's no discernable movement of the engine at idle. The revs are just about 1000 rpm as well first thing, although I know that they settle to about 500 rpm once the engine's warmed up.

My question is, for a 2 litre engine, would you expect it to be more 'lumpy' that a 1.4? Or was this Mazda's engine suffering from something?

Edited by Dave^^ on 27/03/2009 at 21:17

2 litre - a lumpy engine? - stunorthants26
Well I sat in a TVR once and it rocked the whole car at idle :-)

Engines do move around a bit, thats why they have mountings that 'give' a little.

Im sure someone technical will be able to explain why.
Yes, it's knowing the difference between normal and dodgy 'give' that I'm having trouble with! I need to go around a car park feeling people's engines I think to get some more examples as reference points. On second thoughts...
2 litre - a lumpy engine? - legacylad
I suspect it is suffering from something...not sure what though! My 'S' plate 2.0 SE 626 with 105k on the clock is smooth as silk all the way up to the red line.I only drive 5k miles pa, but rarely use it for short runs (I have the time to walk) and it goes exceedingly well given its non sporting chassis.
2 litre - a lumpy engine? - stunorthants26
The best suggestion is to look at a similar car and compare.
Dave,
You are welcome to have a spin in my 626 2.0 petrol for comparative purposes. I live in north Ribblesdale.
Hi legacylad, I was hoping you'd reply as I know you have one of these motors. Thanks for your kind offer and advice :)
By coincidence, TimOrridge has just bought one of these...look at the recent post 'yet another new car thread'. Sounds like he has got a lovely car for the price.