Accident advice - zer0
Can any one give me advice on an accident I was envoled in yesterday.
I had left a large roundabout 200 yds down the road previously & had indicated a left turn to exit as you would.
200 yds down a major road is a tee junction with a large exit & entry as there normally is on a busy road to maintain flow of traffic when approaching this tee junction & have passed the beginning of the exit & travelling at a speed that was within the limit (30) I was shocked to see someone pull out in front of me.
I applied the brakes but with probably only 10 foot to stop failed to do so & ended up crashing into the middle of said car.
I got out the other driver got out of the passenger door of the car (as the drivers door would not open) & screamed you was indicating to turn left.
I was not aware that my indicator had not cancelled as I said earlier the roundabout I had left earlier is a large one where upon you more or less drive straight off with no correction in steering so as not knocking off indication.
In the highway code it states never assume a car coming from the right signalling to turn left will actually do so only move when you are sure they are making that move.
Who is at fault.

Made make/model non-specific

Edited by Pugugly on 26/03/2009 at 23:00

Accident - Altea Ego
If the other driver crossed a give way or stop line to enter your path he is to blame.
Accident - zer0
Yes they did.
Thank you
Accident - bell boy
hope you took photographic evidentay
a throwaway camera from poundland (forget how much it was) saved me thousands last year,ok hundreds but it soon made the other party realise they didnt have a suspension leg to stand on
Accident - zer0
No I didnt when you go out in the morning you just dont expect these things to happen.
I have been driving for 27 yrs now & my job makes me drive hundreds of miles a week & I have always been a carefull & proffesional driver with no accidents untill this one.
The other party was a local young female to the area.
Accident - bell boy
get one tomorrow and stick in the glove box
pictures cant lie
Accident - rtj70
And replace it every so often.

I also once had an accident and asked the police offer who attended was it worth taking photos. He did not say yes but then directed me what photos to take from various angles!
Accident - zer0
Can I make an addition to the last post I was only saying the other party was a local young female because Atea ego assumed the driver was Male
Accident - zer0
Funny you should say that the police officer gave you advice.
As when I asked the officer in attendance who was at fault he said we are always taught to make sure the car approaching from the right is going to make the turn that they are signalling before procedding.
So does that mean I was not at fault.
Accident - rtj70
Let the insurers decide. It does not matter what we think. Even if we say it was your fault they may find the opposite - and vice versa.
Accident - jbif
Let the insurers decide .. >>

Ditto RTJ's view.

IMO, This is one of those "accidents" best left to the two Insurance Companies to settle between them. If zer0 feels very strongly about it, he can insist to his own Insurer that he believes he was 100% NOT at fault, and cite the Highway Code in his support.

Edited by jbif on 27/03/2009 at 00:07

Accident - 1400ted
It would seem to me that she had little experience of assessing a situation and just relied on your ( unintentional ) signal to assume it was safe to go. A more experienced driver would have looked at your position in the road and your speed and held back. We have a junction near home which I use a lot to turn right from a minor road into a large major dual cabbageway. Before there were traffic lights it was a nightmare to get out and many cars coming from my right which were signalling left actually went across the junction and turned left into a nearby filling station 25 yds up the road. I never believe what anybody signals unless they are stationary and then I will sometimes hold back even if flashed, just in case they have missed a scooter or cyclist coming up the inside.
Being a biker helps enormously with your sense of anticipation.

Good luck with the outcome
Ted
Accident - zer0
Nicely put mate every thing you do in life before you do it you should make a risk assetment.
The guy in the car behind gave his statement to the police & I quote "I was waiting behind the car in front to make a right turn the road on the opposite side was clear but the car approaching from the right had his indicator on to turn left (me) but was clear to me that he was not going to make that move"
He also was what looked to me to be an experianced driver.
Accident - L'escargot
hope you took photographic evidentay

Since I first started carrying a single-use camera in my car I've only been involved in one accident, and this was when the car behind unexpectedly (and inexplicably!) collided with the rear of my car when I stopped at a T-junction. I got the camera out with the intention of taking photographs, but my hand was shaking so much that I had to give it up as a bad job!

In point of fact it wouldn't have made any difference to the outcome if I had got photographs because in the event of me being involved in an accident I just exchange details with the other driver and let my insurer sort it out. It's what I pay them for. I'm not interested in who is to blame.

Edited by L'escargot on 27/03/2009 at 06:06

Accident - Blue {P}
Yeah she's at fault, when I was at college a girl did this and it went against her.

Please let us know the outcome, good luck!

Edited by Blue {P} on 27/03/2009 at 10:50

Accident - andi
Hi i had an accident on monday almost identical so i am very interested in how you get on.. same thing going around the rounabout looked down the road he pulled out then reversed back again.. then when i reached the junction he was looking the other way and pulled straight out into the side of me he reversed back got out give me is business card took my name and address picked the bits of his range rover up and drove off said he did not have time to wait for police, leaving me and 3 screaming kids in the middle of the road... what manners did not even ask how we were..
Accident - Rattle
I wonder if that could be classed as failing to stop if he went his way before the police arrived?
Accident - Pugugly
All the law requires is to stop which he did - and to exchange details, name, address and insurance details. No requirment to be nice sadly or to wait patiently for the Police to arrive. So technically he's complied with the basics.
Accident - bathtub tom
Ten or more years ago SWMBO wrote off a car in seemingly identical circumstances.

She left a roundabout, signalling left. The road continued turning to the left.

SWMBO didn't realise the indicators hadn't cancelled.

SWMBO T-boned the Cavalier that exited from a junction on her left. (I loved that Fiat 850).

The insurance found her to be 'not at fault'.

I think times have moved on since then.
Accident - andi
I dont believe my indicater was even on as i remember checking when he pulled out the first time. but even if it was i think he is still at fault. when i was taught how to drive i was told to always remember that an indicator going is only prove that the bulb is working.. And i stick to it.
Accident - Rattle
Yep it was the other persons fault as the cav did not check she was actually turning. At round abouts I always always make sure the car has started to turn before pulling out, yes the Audi behind may start getting impatient but its better than crashing.

I have always been taught to always asume people are signalling by accident on roundabout, its is just when they do signal it makes things a lot easier as I am ready to set off the second they start to turn.
Accident - L'escargot
All the law requires is to stop which he did - and to exchange details
name address and insurance details.

That's exactly what I'd do if I was involved in a minor road traffic accident.
Accident - Dwight Van Driver
Quick assessment over the toast...

Both to blame.

Poster for giving (leaving) a misleading signal.

One pulling out ... for crossing junction mouth line and cauysing another to brake or change course and also for relying on the sign al given.

dvd
Accident - OldSock
Quick assessment over the toast...
Both to blame.

Is that legally, or morally?

In today's busy traffic conditions, waiting until you're absolutely sure of another driver's intentions could give rise to huge congestion problems.

Doing so may well be a 'counsel of perfection', so I do have a bit of sympathy with the 'other driver'.

Many people here bemoan the lack of correct indicator use on roundabouts - but what's the point in indicating left before your exit if folk wishing to join at the next 'branch' don't believe you!!