Speed camera mistake - Mr X
tinyurl.com/daykbv
I like the bit about an operator being ' over zealous ". How about them being ' plain stupid" or ' badly trained" seeing as how they are supposed to check the first picture of the car on the road markings laid down in the camera area and then second photograph to work out the speed. As the car in question wasn't even on those markings but parked in a nearby bay, this to me shouts ' gross incompetence '.

Then she was told ''When I first disputed the claim, I was told that mistakes are never made. ' Mistakes never made ? So now we have an absolute foolproof system of policing by camera . News to me.
Speed camera mistake - Pugugly
Mr X is right - moderated myself and I hang my head in shame

Edited by Pugugly on 25/03/2009 at 19:08

Speed camera mistake - GJD
In this case it sounds like the owner was certain she wouldn't have been driving at the time and so could be confident in questioning the case. Not so easy if it happened that she wasn't driving that particular day but often did drive at that time.

These mistakes do come up every so often ("mistakes are never made" indeed!) and so many of them would be completely avoided if the paperwork sent included the photos that are supposed to prove you guilty. I was shocked a few years ago when I first learned that you don't automatically get the pictures. I had just always assumed it would be utterly stupid not to include them. I still don't understand it.

Speed camera mistake - oldnotbold
snip - ONB following my self moderation - if you want to talk about it I'll be in the Mods' room writing a hundred lines

Edited by Pugugly on 25/03/2009 at 19:09

If thats the best you can add to a motoring forum discussing a motoring issue, I wonder why you bother.
Speed camera mistake - boxsterboy
Yes, it's nice to see that we can all rest assured that Big Brother 'nerver makes mistakes'.

On a similar vein, I do sometimes wonder about the variable speed limit cameras on the western stretches of the M25. Namely, do they work?

On quite a few times now, I have driven through what is posted on 3 gantries as, say, 50 limit, but with the remaining gantries showing nothing. (e.g. lanes 1, 2, 4 showing 50, lanes 3 and 5 showing no restriction). Is this an electronic failure, or do they really mean only lanes 1, 2 and 4 have to slow to a maximum of 50 whilst lanes 3 & 5 can sail on as normal? I suspect the former, but how would you ever prove the bulbs were out - the camera (allegedly) takes its pictures after you have passed the gantry.

I have also noticed that an increasing number of drivers ignore the speed restrictions, and presumably wouldn't do this if they were regularly getting tickets for doing so.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience otherwise?
Speed camera mistake - diddy1234
I had wondered that as well.

I have also seen this on the M25. One lane had no variable speed limit display but all of the other lanes did.

needless to say I just stayed in the 'slow' lane and poodled through.

Its quite interesting to still see a few cars speeding up then slowing down before the next camera.
do some people not understand how average camera's work ?
Have come through a set saying fifty on the M25 but nothing on the next couple of gantries. No de restricted sign, nothing. What does it mean ?
Speed camera mistake - Optimist
Its quite interesting to still see a few cars speeding up then slowing down before the next camera. do some people not understand how average camera's work ? >>

That's probably me. But are they average speed cameras? I thought they were using the lines painted on the carriageway.

As to the lanes with restrictions and not, I've always thought that was to do with traffic slowing or bunching for a junction or exit some miles ahead. Maybe not.

Speed camera mistake - jc2
Only one type(Gatso) of the four makes of approved speed cameras needs lines painted on the road.
Speed camera mistake - Steve Pearce
Only one type(Gatso) of the four makes of approved speed cameras needs lines painted on
the road.

Not quite true. Truvelo cameras in front facing mode have three closely spaced lines on the road. Based on the calculated speed (from the under road sensors), when the single photograph is taken the vehicles front wheels must be between the lines.
Speed camera mistake - L'escargot
"I knew there was no way I'd be out at 10.22pm on a week night."

Weird. She doesn't sound like any of the 19-year olds that I know!
Speed camera mistake - Armitage Shanks {p}
The M25 cameras are not SPECS type but, if the limit is reduced to 50 are the cameras reset to that as well?
Speed camera mistake - boxsterboy
That is sort of my question. I'm not sure that the cameras do re-calibrate to reflect the lowered limit. And anway, what is the legality of a road sign that can vary the speed limt?
Speed camera mistake - Mapmaker
That is sort of my question. I'm not sure that the cameras do re-calibrate to
reflect the lowered limit. And anway what is the legality of a road sign that
can vary the speed limt?

Have a check under your bed lest there may be a red hiding there.
Speed camera mistake - Steve Pearce
That is sort of my question. I'm not sure that the cameras do re-calibrate to
reflect the lowered limit. And anway what is the legality of a road sign that
can vary the speed limt?

Perfectly legal, google for "HADECS", one of the first links is to the Home Office and the approval certificate.
And anway what is the legality of a road sign that
can vary the speed limt?

www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycod...2

Rule 261 seems pretty unambiguous to me.

"I knew there was no way I'd be out at 10.22pm on a week night."
Weird. She doesn't sound like any of the 19-year olds that I know!

Ah, but she's a 19 year old *with* a sensible job. How many of those are there? :)