Cambelts again - SjB {P}
Truly, honestly, would you go to the bother of changing the cam belt on a seven year old, absolutely guaranteed 15,000 mile, Peugeot 306 with the 1.8 XU7 lump?

Yes, I know what can happen if it fails, but can age alone affect the belt as much as oil weeps (there are none), Ultraviolet light (obviously, there is none!), and usage can?

I will do the (more fiddly than on some engine installations) job if there is tangible benefit or proven reason to, but not if based on a 'just in case with no proof' hypothesis, hence asking for a second opinion.

Cheers as always,
Steve
Cambelts again - crazed
cambelts will rot just left standing in their box in fresh air long enough

dont risk it
Cambelts again - wemyss
I believe the least you should do is to have a good visual inspection of the belt.
My wifes maestro turbo specifies a 72000 change. The reason for the long intervals is that it's a wider belt than normal.
However I regularly took the cover off to inspect it. AT 39000 miles there were two holes showing in the middle. Replaced it and still keep the inspections going.
I think the quality of belts is variable perhaps due to storage.
Just how old the belt on your car was before it was fitted could also be a factor.
alvin
Cambelts again - Cyd
All Rover engines are specified with a 5yr / 60k change. So when we bought my wifes Metro at 6yrs old with 5400 miles on the clock I didn't even look at the belt, figuring it had done so few miles it must be okay. About 6mths ago the car was 9 1/2 yrs old with 35,000 up. I started to get jittery about the age of the belt so bought a new one from Halfords and tackled my first ever cambelt change. Despite the protestations of many that it isn't possible, I found the old one had loads of slack, though visually it was fine. After the change the cars economy has leapt from 39 to 45 mpg - instantly measurable from the first tank. I shalln't leave it so long again.

In short - get it changed.
Cambelts again - Dynamic Dave
Most, if not all manufacturers state that cambelts should be changed at "x" mileage or "x" years, whichever comes sooner.
Cambelts again - M.M
Steve,

I've put it this way before here......

If you'd had the task of facing a customer with a near £1000 bill for timing belt failure at well under makers change point you'd never never take the risk.

This isn't profiteering on the part of the garage industry, just good sense.

David W
Cambelts again - SjB {P}
Okay, I'm convinced.
No nice ride out on the Honda Hornet for me this weekend! ;-)

Cheers guys,
Steve