99 1.8 UK Engine cooling system question? - jp147
I have a 99 Ford Focus 1.8 (petrol) with 79k miles. I went to a local mechanic today because I was concerned by some condensation on the inside of the coolant reservoir. He said that it is normal to have condensation on the inside surface of the reservoir whether the engine is hot or cold. I can't say that I remember noticing it before and I have had the car since 2004. I do have to top up the coolant about every 1000 -1500 miles. Also when the engine is up to operating temperature the needle on the gauge does not point exactly up but slightly to the left which again I have not known in the past. When I turn the engine off and then, say 10 min later, I go back and turn the ignition so that I can see what the temperature is on the gauge, the needle has fallen right back towards cold.

I have also been getting 24mpg urban driving instead of the usual 26/27 mpg

Can you help me sort these symptoms out ?

Edited by Pugugly on 24/03/2009 at 18:51

1999 1.8 UK Engine cooling system question? - andyp
A modern sealed cooling system should never need topping up, so there must be a problem some where. I would advise getting a garage to carry out a pressure test to check for leaks and a "sniff"test to check for head gasket failure. You could also try replacing the pressure cap on the expansion tank in case that is week and is leaking.
1999 1.8 UK Engine cooling system question? - henry k
>>I have also been getting 24mpg urban driving instead of the usual 26/27 mpg
>>
All those figures do not seem very good.
In my older 2.0L Mondeo 123K AUTO ( same type of Zetec engine) I get 26/27 mpg.
>>
>>A modern sealed cooling system should never need topping up, so there must be a problem some where.
Both the 99 Focus and 98 Mondeo in our household have never been topped in five years.