Why are cars getting bigger? - UserError
When I were a lad, the VW polo was a small car, the Micra was pretty small and a Fiat 500 was tiny. Now the Polo is bigger than the MK1 Golf was, which is next car size up. The Micra has middle-age spread and is an enormous bloated blob and across the board, they all seem to be getting bigger. My example of the Polo, now 3.9m long - the Golf was 3.7m and is now 4.2m.

Is this because the Nation is getting fatter & need to be told that "you can get a whole family in a Golf" in the same way that people will assert that they are still a 34" waist? ;-)

That doesn't explain why they are getting taller as well - surely, despite aerodynamic improvements, it still amounts to a greater frontal area and air displacement requirement? I know we are getting taller, but this is cm over generations, not nearly a foot in a decade!

My recollection that the 2CV was tall so that the French farmer could wear his hat, but people don't wear hats anymore. I've never hit my head on the roof of my Carina & I'm average height - there is about a hand's width above me. The current cars would allow one to wear one of Brunel's Stovepipe hats without suffering any damage - why is there a need for this space? I sometimes carry washing machines or a chest of drawers, whic can usually be accommodated in the back - sometimes without making the children walk behind. Given that we haven't suddenly become a nation of Lovejoys transporting Welsh Dressers around, it all seems a bit pointless.

Perhaps someone in the know could tell me what I am obviously missing?
Cheers
Jono.
Why are cars getting bigger? - doctorchris
Cars are getting longer to provide better crash protection, hence the rather nasty snouts we see on many cars today.
Increased height, well, if the length of the passenger cell is reduced by the car's snout, then the passenger cell needs to expand upwards. Hence, a more upright seating position, which I prefer.
Why are cars getting bigger? - UserError
Fair points Doctorchris. Thanks.
Still think they should bring back stovepipe hats
Why are cars getting bigger? - jc2
Mainly airbags and other crash protection!
Why are cars getting bigger? - black taxi
when u see new mini against the old mini--it looks a diff car

Why are cars getting bigger? - jc2
It is a different car-bigger and much,much heavier.
Why are cars getting bigger? - Lud
They are subject to the same epidemic of obesity as human beings and cats. Fed on junk petrol (low fat unleaded, what rubbish) and denied proper exercise by their pusillanimous owners and the vile, snivelling, perverted, sanctimonious, lying hell-bound authorities and their many equally disgusting supporters in the population at large.
Why are cars getting bigger? - black taxi
fat is ok

obesity isnt
Why are cars getting bigger? - oilrag

Edited by oilrag on 24/03/2009 at 15:24

Why are cars getting bigger? - doctorchris
Oilrag, thanks for the definitive opinion on vehicle size.
It cannot be bettered!
Why are cars getting bigger? - Old Navy
So that the manufacturers can introduce a new range of smaller cars every few years.
Why are cars getting bigger? - diddy1234
I think its deliberate ploy to create a new sub miniature market.

Take for example a Fiesta or a Corsa when they came out.
Quite small cars. Now the Corsa is the same size and weight of an early Astra.

I think the size of these supermini cars was increased to open up a new market (ford ka springs to mind).
Why are cars getting bigger? - nick
Lud, your posts always raise a smile. Alas, you (we) are a dying breed.
Why are cars getting bigger? - gordonbennet
Getting bigger overall, but not Tardis like at all, no more room inside than the models they replace, look at the silhouette of cars as you follow them, fairly narrow on the roof line, and with a 'love handle' flare widening progressively down the door line, insect like.

Why are cars getting bigger? - Martin Devon
Lud your posts always raise a smile. Alas you (we) are a dying breed.

I know what Pusillanimous means without a look up. The 'dying' breed are still breathing here. Bring back the birch I say. Alf Garnett for P.M.

MD
Why are cars getting bigger? - Andrew-T
Vile, snivelling, perverted, sanctimonious, lying hell-bound authorities ...

Lud, this sounds perilously close to full-blown paranoia. But to revert to topic, each remodel has to be seen to visibly leapfrog the earlier one, or customers might stick with the one they have, or (worse) switch to a different brand. When a maker's 'supermini' gets just too big, a new 'tiny' car has to be invented, like the Lupo. (Though when Peugeot superseded the 205, they replaced it with 106 and 306, smaller and larger). And they all have to get heavier, either because of legislation or to stuff things in like air-con, ABS braking, airbags, ...

Edited by Andrew-T on 24/03/2009 at 18:20

perilously close to full-blown paranoia.

So, you're in with my enemies are you? You're in good and bad company, because everyone is.

(Sour, hostile smirk)
Why are cars getting bigger? - P3t3r
It wouldn't be so bad if the cars got bigger on the inside, but modern cars are in many cases smaller on the inside. You won't see me wanting a new car because it's bigger. I prefer older cars, they seem to be so much better than modern ones.
Why are cars getting bigger? - Alby Back
I need big cars. Well a big loadspace anyway. I do wish other people would drive smaller cars though. It would leave more room for my big ones. There.
Why are cars getting bigger? - ifithelps
I have often wondered how much difference it would make to congestion if we all drove superminis.

Would have thought fewer cars, rather than smaller ones, would have a greater effect.
Why are cars getting bigger? - FocusDriver
I need big cars.

12 holdalls indeed! I don't want to ask just in case you shatter my illusions...

The OP's question's been answered already of course but it's odd to note my own prejudices are changing as the cars' shapes evolve. I look at a Nissan Note these days and think "mmmm, just possibly..."
Why are cars getting bigger? - Alby Back
The contents of my loadspace are classified but suffice it to say there is nothing inflatable........

;-)
Why are cars getting bigger? - Mick Snutz
I wonder if the next gen Fiat 500 will become a big fat bloated pastiche?

And would HJ buy one?
Why are cars getting bigger? - FocusDriver
I doubt HJ would need to "buy" in the normal sense of the word given his readership. But I'm probably wrong again. I already owe him £10 for saying that Dubai would ride the economic storm perfectly well thank you.

Word has it that the 1980 RR Camargue was the size of a 2008 Fiat500. If you put wheels and an engine on my Focus ashtray you'd get an idea of just how small the original mini was.

Has anyone seen the price of good condition original Fiat 500s? Ber Limey.
Why are cars getting bigger? - Optimist
People have made the points about airbags and other crash protection.

But I think you also see the need for bigger cars in the rubbish roads we have to drive on.

IIRC the original Mini rolled on 13" wheels. You'd disappear down some of the potholes and never come back again on today's roads, though you do see some intrepid souls using old Minis.

And people drive more aggressively so feel the need for more protection. You can push buttons and lock the doors and windows of your tank.

It's fashion, too, I think. If we can't all afford a Range Rover what about a largeish tribute car like a Chevrolet whatever it is?

Edited by Optimist on 24/03/2009 at 21:08

Why are cars getting bigger? - PeterEA
The original Mini had even smaller wheels than you think. They were only 10"!
Why are cars getting bigger? - 1400ted
I think the increased height of cars nowadays is to provide a safety zone for going over speed bumps fast....saves buying a crash helmet.
If you're not happy with a big car, try the Tata Nano, 2 cylinder, 67 mpg and a blistering 35 seconds to get to max speed of 65 mph.
I wonder, could this be the first car to do more miles to the gallon than to the hour ?
Ted
People drive more aggressively so feel the need for more protection ...

I am certain this is both chicken and egg. When cars were commonly underpowered and had poorer brakes it was harder to drive dangerously and survive. And when one had saved up enough to afford a better faster car, one could overtake more wagons, and ...

So the constant in the equation is the risk-aversion or otherwise of the driver. I'm not sure how much a conscious awareness of improved crash protection contributes.
Why are cars getting bigger? - xtrailman
Apart from crash protection.
I think car group tests are to blame, at the end of the test, the conclusion goes something like this.

X car would have won the test but the boot was the smallest, or the rear seats would not seat 3 in comfort, the car had the poorest rear leg room, insufficient front leg room demotes this car to 2nd place, not enough head room, etc
Why are cars getting bigger? - L'escargot
As time passes the desires and expectations (and the standard of living) of the population rises. Why be cramped up in a small car when you can have ample space in a bigger car? Most consumer goods (except electronic items such as mobile phones and cameras) get bigger all the time. Houses get bigger. Beds get bigger. TVs get bigger. You name it, it gets bigger. If you've got it, flaunt it.
Why are cars getting bigger? - rtj70
But garages don't get bigger ;-)

Luckily ours is quite big. So there is loads of room for the Seicento and the junk/bikes/etc
The Rootes Group here, and in the US Nash and (I think) Chrysler, used to have 'artist's impression' car ads using midget humans to make the cars look bigger. A small enough family of small enough people could make a Hillman Imp look, er, slightly more like a giant brick.

Obviously using graphic trickery to persuade people that their cars were enormous and plutocratic stopped working, and manufacturers have now resorted to really making the cars bigger. Soon we will have to stand on each other's shoulders just to reach the door handle. Can't wait.
used to have 'artist's impression' car ads using midget humans to make the cars look bigger.

Still happening, Lud - but the subject is cheap sofas instead of cars.
Why are cars getting bigger? - L'escargot
But garages don't get bigger ;-)

Essex County Council has issued draft guidelines for garage sizes for new properties.

"Garages will have to be at least 7 metres by 3 metres (23ft by 10ft), as opposed to the existing guidance of 5 metres by 2.5 metres. Any garage smaller than the new dimensions will be treated as a storeroom and not counted towards the minimum number of parking spaces. Any home with two or more bedrooms will require at least two spaces."

More power to their elbow, I say.