Alleged 173mph speeder - moonshine {P}

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/7955457.stm

"A motorist allegedly clocked at 173mph (278km/h) by police has escaped jail after prosecutors failed to prove his car was capable of such a speed.

But defence lawyers successfully argued Mr O'Reilly's car, which was unmodified, was not able to reach 173mph after Lotus confirmed the car had a top limit of only 127mph"

I'm quite shocked at how unreliable the 'speed measuring' device was. I'll put my money on operator error. In this case it was very obviously wrong, I wonder how many more marginal cases slip by.

The speeder accepted his ban and fine with good grace and acknowledged he had done wrong. Why was there no action taken to find out why the speed measurement was so wrong?

Edited by Pugugly on 20/03/2009 at 21:27

alleged 173mph speeder - rtj70
He added he had since sold the Lotus and his current car, a Ferrari, would be put into
storage for the duration of his driving ban.

Lucky he wasn't driving the Ferrari then or he'd probably be in prison.

Edited by rtj70 on 20/03/2009 at 18:25

alleged 173mph speeder - midlifecrisis
Tests on the police equipment proved it was working correctly.

Police caught up with the car when it was stopped in traffic. Driver admitted speeding but disputed the 173mph and told the officers he had been doing between 105 and 120mph.

So 105-120 in a 50mph limit. But never mind, we'll ignore that.

Edited by PoloGirl on 21/03/2009 at 12:30

alleged 173mph speeder - Optimist

If there's a laugh to be had it must be in the first name of the bloke done for speeding: Tex. In Derby?

Edited by PoloGirl on 21/03/2009 at 12:31

alleged 173mph speeder - ifithelps
mlc,

Even though the world, his wife, and everyone else is against you, are you not the least bit curious how a car can be booked at 50mph more than its top speed?

Why not let the job speak for itself? If the guy's done 120mph, book him for that, not 119mph, or 121mph, or 290mph, but 120mph.

Do the job right and there's no comeback.

And don't think I'm sticking up for the speeder. Doing 120mph in a 50mph limit would be a trip to the big house, if it was up to me.

I know you may wish to blur the story with 'the world is against you' malarky, but I'm afraid you're wrong on that account.

The guy's just bought a Ferrari as a replacement. You don't think it's conceivable that he may have improved the performance of his car. I'll guarantee that the Officers involved in this are hopping mad at yet another CPS Lawyer taking the easy option by accepting the 105mph.

I'm more alarmed that the focus of this story is on the Officers, rather than the numpty driving at (admitted) speeds of 120mph in a 50mph limit.
alleged 173mph speeder - ifithelps
mlc,

No wish to blur the story, so please excuse my sarcasm.

I just think alarm bells should have rung at the roadside when this car was clocked at 173mph.

I suppose we are all interested in cars on here, and maybe I'm wrongly assuming that anyone should know 173mph takes some doing in anything.

Fully with you on the CPS, by the way.

I've watched some of their advocates prosecute (non-motoring) trials.

The defending barrister runs rings around them - they are just not up to the job.

alleged 173mph speeder - Altea Ego
The guy's just bought a Ferrari as a replacement. You don't think it's conceivable that
he may have improved the performance of his car. I'll guarantee that the Officers involved
in this are hopping mad at yet another CPS Lawyer taking the easy option by
accepting the 105mph.
I'm more alarmed that the focus of this story is on the Officers rather than
the numpty driving at (admitted) speeds of 120mph in a 50mph limit.

>

wooo hold on. Wheres the evidence the car was modified? whos job to get that? the police. Who bothered to check the top speed of a standard lotus? sounds more to me like a carp job done of collecting evidence and presenting the poor cps lawyer with a barrel load of egg on his face.
alleged 173mph speeder - SlidingPillar
That's a big, big increase in top speed if it was. 47 mph faster. Even if the Lotus was a slippery shape you are talking a lot of power needed, and unless the engine now does a heap of extra revs, a raised final drive is also needed. Anyone driving it would know, and I'd suspect it would be audible too.

I'm not defending the speeder in the slightest here, but the likely answer is the equipment was used wrongly or mis-quoted. CPS lawyer has taken the option that led to a conviction. Don't know the full facts, but I'd say there was a chance of no conviction at all if he'd stuck to the higher speed.

Just seen midlfecrisis's point. Could have been hugely worked on and we'll never know

Edited by SlidingPillar on 20/03/2009 at 20:22

alleged 173mph speeder - zm
And don't think I'm sticking up for the speeder. Doing 120mph in a 50mph limit
would be a trip to the big house if it was up to me.

Now steady on there; you're in danger of sounding like one of those ridiculous ignorant anti speed zealots who beleaves all speed limits are right.

It would depend on the 50 mph limit in my opinion. About 10/12 years back I remember doing 120mph along an arrow straight stretch of country road (in Derbyshire as well as it happens) that has no opening's on to it, early on a sunday morning in perfect weather conditions and no other traffic about (you could see for miles). At the time the limit was 60mph, it is now 50 mph and I can't see any good reason why this stretch of road should have had it's limit reduced. Ok i'm not saying we should all make a habit of doing 120, but some of these limits (brought in since Labour got to power!) are just a nonsense and an aid to raising revenue.

alleged 173mph speeder - FocusDriver
Tests on the police equipment proved it was working correctly

How can you tell?

It's a pity the guy wasn't a police officer as he'd have been able to say he was "just testing".
The Police didn't get the chance to examine the car because he exported it to Germany sharpish after the event...now why would he export a 'standard' Lotus!! Couldn't possibly be to hide something could it??

Even the judge criticised the CPS decision to accept the 105mph. So just perhaps, two Professional Police Officers presented a solid case and were let down by the CPS who would be happy to have the 'successful prosecution' tick to add to their stats that a guilty plea would give.

Edited by midlifecrisis on 20/03/2009 at 20:14

so who didnt impound the car as evidence then?

Because they probably didn't want another 100 post thread on HJ about Police illegally impound speeders car!

(Are you actually going to condemn the driver at any point)

Edited by midlifecrisis on 20/03/2009 at 20:27

alleged 173mph speeder - moonshine {P}

I think it goes without saying that what the driver did was wrong, there's nothing to debate there.

Of course. Clearly he was guilty of major speeding - 120 in a 50 should be jailble anyway - and he sounds like an arrogant ass.

On the other hand, didnt the officers at the time even think slightly that 170 plus would take some believing and they had better rmake sure they all the evidence to nail the clown? Didnt one of them think "how the hell can that car do 170 plus?"

Didnt they think that 170 plus would take some proving in court?
>>So 105-120 in a 50mph limit. But never mind, we'll ignore that

No, its not being ignored. He admitted it and was punished accordingly. Whats up for debate here is how did the officers got a reading of 173mph.

MLC - you seem very quick to go on the defense and seem to assume that everyone on here is just out to have a pop at the police - that is not the case. Can you not explore the possibility that the device was not used correctly?

173mph would be quite impressive even if the car was modified, anyone know the top speed of a modded car?
On the contrary..you seem to miss the point that everyone is assuming the Police were wrong. I'm just pointing out that the CPS buckled and the circumstances suggest that the Police may actually be right.

What I find more concerning is that the focus is on the Police, rather than the idiot behind the wheel (who appears not to give a monkeys if the BBC news report is anything to go by)

Police sometimes get it wrong, but they don't get it wrong ALL the time.
if the BBC news report is anything to go by

Off topic, so apologies, but a BBC report is always a product of a very specific cultural agenda which it is obliged to promote as part of its Charter. A participant rather than observer, it regularly portrays the police as "the aggressors" and motorists as misguided fools. Consequently, with no side to fall on, this is one BBC report that might be free from bias, though the facts which haven't been included are always worth seeking out and comparing with those given.
On the contrary..you seem to miss the point that everyone is assuming the Police were
wrong. I'm just pointing out that the CPS buckled and the circumstances suggest that the
Police may actually be right.

The CPS buckled becuase they had no way of proving that the car could go that fast. They didn't buckle, more like cocked it up.
What I find more concerning is that the focus is on the Police rather than
the idiot behind the wheel (who appears not to give a monkeys if the BBC
news report is anything to go by)

I think we are all in agreement that the driver was an idiot. That's why there is no discussion on the driver being an idiot. What is much more interesting is how the car was clocked at 173mph when its top speed is only 127mph.
Police sometimes get it wrong but they don't get it wrong ALL the time.

We all make mistakes, and for all we know the car may well have been modded in some way that meant it could do 173mph.
alleged 173mph speeder - teabelly
Were they using Tetra in the police car? If so then it could be that as it seems vascar is susceptible to interference so if this pilot thingy is older then it is perfectly reasonable to consider that possibility.

If he did hit 173mph on the A515 there is no way his balls would fit in an elise.... or his head!
mlc, for the record my late (and very Great in my mind) g'father was a very senior policeman in the Met in the 1960s, about which I'm very proud. He was one of my heroes and was notable for his strongly anti-Masonic Lodge stance which spared him a top job. Anyway he told me to always remain sceptical considering the very immediate and real-world power that POs can exert. You know, I know - he certainly knew - that "police officers are fallible human beings". Just so you know I'm not anti-police in any way.

There's no doubt this guy is as guilty as sin (give him a dose of porridge I say), and, on reflection, I think I'll bow to your superior knowledge but writing off a forum member's opinion before they've spoken is a bit, y'know ... like the Daily Mail that everyone's so fond of mentioning (very tiresomly) at times like these.
alleged 173mph speeder - the swiss tony
Tests on the police equipment proved it was working correctly.

>>Mr O'Reilly's car, which was unmodified, was not able to reach 173mph after Lotus confirmed the car had a top limit of only 127mph

So... what your saying is its normal for the police equipment to over-read by about 35%?

Of course the fact he was speeding by twice the limit he deserves more than he got... but..a reading of 173???

Edited by the swiss tony on 20/03/2009 at 20:49

alleged 173mph speeder - b308
I feel that mlc has a point... if the car was "unmodified" then why export if so quickly... to me it sounds like a modified car and to experts an increase of speed to 170mph would not be all that difficult on that type of car... new engine would probably do it quite easily... and if he can afford a Ferrari then he has the money...

Edited by b308 on 20/03/2009 at 21:13

alleged 173mph speeder - Martin Devon
I wonder how many people on this site have actually travelled at even 120mph. True, not indicated speed. I have travelled at 146 (indicated) in a modified (Turbo Technics) 1984 Sierra 2.8 V6 twin wing thingy and to be perfectly honest the road kept appearing as a point like looking through a funnel and was not sustainable concentration wise, made all the worse when the rear decided to shift left at this speed. Mr. Brown! then took over. We went home and thanked our lucky stars. A lot of carp talked about speed.

VBR.......MD
alleged 173mph speeder - b308
I wonder how many people on this site have actually travelled at even 120mph. True
not indicated speed. I have travelled at 146 (indicated)
and to be perfectly honest the road kept appearing
as a point like looking through a funnel and was not sustainable

Yes I have, but I did not have the same reaction to it as you, but its not something I would do in this country as I don't feel the roads are safe enough, but I do know that the sort of speeds we are talking of some people are daft enough to do them on our roads, madness though it is. Everyone will react differently at speed, you were obviously struggling, but its worth pointing out that there are plenty of people around who could drive that quick without any issues and I certainly didn't have any at 120... maybe at 170 it would be a different matter! ;)

You're right, there's a lot of carp talked about speed...
alleged 173mph speeder - Martin Devon
Everyone will react differently at speed you were obviously struggling but its worth
pointing out that there are plenty of people around who could drive that quick without
any issues and I certainly didn't have any at 120... maybe at 170 it would
be a different matter! ;)
You're right there's a lot of carp talked about speed...

I was the co-pilot with a proficient driver, but that heel kick soon had us back to reality. Of course we were much younger then and today, in a car with modern suspension etc etc the whole thing may be different, but one other thing that people 'may' overlook when attempting such tricks in modified (engine) cars is that those cars may try and take off when pushed. And as you so rightly point out....not in this country. Our roads are so appalling.

Best reg's.......MD
alleged 173mph speeder - Pugugly
I make no secret I used to do it quite regularly on a bike - before speed became politically incorrect.
alleged 173mph speeder - J Bonington Jagworth
I have to say that my sympathies are with the accused. If he wasn't doing 173mph, then he shouldn't have to admit to anything.

I speak as one who tried, unsuccessfully, to explain to a tweed-clad magistrate how laser speed guns were unreliable when pointed at an irregular surface like the front of a motorbike (the beam is repeatedly measuring distance, but may be targeting the headlight one moment and the rider's leg a couple of feet away, the next). If the evidence is faulty, then there is no case, a state of affairs that seems to apply in every other legal sphere...
alleged 173mph speeder - GroovyMucker
It's difficult for any of us sensibly to comment when we haven't seen the evidence.

It's strange that the speed camera should have given such an inaccurate reading. As others have said, presumably with knowledge, it is strange that an unmodified car should have been exported to Germany.

It is strange that the CPS accepted that the car was unmodified without any evidence of that (bearing in mind that it would be pretty much impossible for the defendant to prove the car was unmodified, unless he submitted it for expert examination just after the offence).

So many strange things going on.
alleged 173mph speeder - henry k
>>So many strange things going on.
>>
re the original link
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/7955457.stm

.....is even more strange if you watch the video clip.

Poice were not using a camera but using the oldest kit (Police Pilot) - just measuring time and distance
And police stated that bikes have been doing 200+mph on this road but they could not catch them or read the no plates
Now the story's on the BBC website it shouldn't be long before the people who carried out the modification to the Lotus pop up. They've done nothing illegal and, clearly, they know what they're about. Great promotion for their business.

Unless they've been exported to Germany too, of course, which can always happen.

The local paper describes the 50 mph stretch of the A515 as "a country lane".

So if Tex was handling his Lotus and keeping it on the road at 173 mph he should probably be teaching high speed driving courses.

alleged 173mph speeder - Lud
173 in a 50 eh? Very sporting.

Got clocked, and got away with it. YEEEEE-hah!
And here's a link to an interesting article suggesting Scottish Chief Constables don't have much faith in the Police Pilot device.

tinyurl.com/dedvq3

Unless, mysteriously, they've all been exported to Germany by now. That kind of thing does happen!
A decision very quickly reversed when the Scottish Chiefs realised how idiotic they'd been.

The CPS will always take a 'guilty' plea (on much lesser charges) over a trial any day of the week. It keeps their stats intact. It's very, very frustrating for Officers in court
alleged 173mph speeder - Alby Back
Well, whatever, that sort of speed in a 50 is just plain stupid.

There was an apocryphal story doing the rounds a few years back about a German fellow in a 911 on the M1 I think. The version I heard was that he was driving from the channel ports to Newcastle to visit his English girlfriend for the weekend.

Allegedly he was chased by jam sandwiches for ages at warp speed on the motorway but failed to stop.

When he was finally apprehended he was asked why he failed to stop earlier and claimed he hadn't seen the police cars. It was pointed out to him that several cars had been involved and surely he must have seen them in his mirrors. Equally allegedly he then laconically replied along the lines that at 150 mph + one has little time, or indeed need, to use the mirrors.......

Who hasn't had a wee blast once in a blue moon. He got caught and deserves whatever he gets just as we all would.
Alleged 173mph speeder - L'escargot
"173 mph would have been the fastest ever recorded speed on a British road"

I remember the late Desmond "Dizzy" Addicott www.minimarcos.org.uk/mmhda.html freely admitting to exceeding 200 mph on the M1 before the introduction of the 70 mph limit.

Edited by L'escargot on 21/03/2009 at 07:58

Alleged 173mph speeder - AlastairM
i'm sure that I am not the only one to watch programs of the 'Traffic cops' type. We are all familiar with the scenario of stolen car being pursued through red lights at highly illegal speeds, over the white lines, sometime striking other cars in an effort to squeeze through a small gap, ramming police cars, etc. all this followed by an intensive hunt using helicopters seeming hordes of uniformed police, etc, etc. What punishment do most of these miscreants get? 12-18 month bans and fines of some hundreds of pounds, with a little Community Service flung in.

What does matey get? £5,000.00 pound and two years ban, just missing jail. Seems to me to be a vindictive sentence, and this is what worries me. It appears to be that punishment must be fairly applied and whatever the proved speed was the punshment did not match the crime.
This is quite wrong and must be questioned.
Alleged 173mph speeder - woodster
Simon - 200 mph road bikes comical? Suzuki's Hayabusa. Check the pistonheads website and road tests of the first 'Busas sold. Minor mods for a genuine 200 mph. Plenty of Turbo'd and nitrous kitted ones out there too. I think current ones are sold 'restricted' to 186mph unlike the early ones that weren't.
Alleged 173mph speeder - Simon
>>Simon - 200 mph road bikes comical? Suzuki's Hayabusa. Check the pistonheads website...

Now read what I said again - "Show me a road bike that will do 200mph in normal motoring conditions, where the rider can actually manage to hang on to the thing".

I didn't say it wasn't possible, on a proving ground it would be quite easy, but under normal road conditions, such as on the A515 where this guy has been alledged to have done 173mph it would be almost impossible and suicidal to top 200mph. Its just not flat enough, straight/long enough and quiet enough to do it.
Alleged 173mph speeder - Optimist
Fullchat said: >> I would think that most of us should be able to differentiate visually with a car doing 105 MPH and 173MPH. >>

I'm not sure that's true. Cars overtake me sometimes on the motorway and all I could say with any degree of certainty is that they're going faster or much faster than my indicated speed. So is that 90 or 105 or 120? I couldn't say.

And in the example we're talking about would the speed have been measured head on or side on? I would think you'd barely see a car doing 173 - it's covering a mile in a little over 20 seconds, after all.

If this bloke drove at this speed for only two minutes he covered nearly six miles. Weren't there any witnesses?

Alleged 173mph speeder - Fullchat
Wonder if the driver was like this guy? Do watch it to the end. There really is justice!

www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/105354-justice-pre...l
Alleged 173mph speeder - midlifecrisis
HJ, it may surprise you, but we do not become Daleks when we put the uniform on. One of the main topics of conversation in the crew room, is the nonsense that Uncle Gordon and his mob come up with, wrapped in a 'green' tinge. The inappropriate reduction of speed limits on certain roads has been challenged by us, as has the stats they used as 'evidence'. (We lost of course). We also recognise that the growth in Gatso's and the like has caused us problems (because they are associated with the 'Police'. ) However, this assumption you have that we are all parked on street corners, waiting to drag you before the courts if you drop a cigarette butt is ludicrous.The reality is that on my area we have 8000 ANPR hits a day, with an average of 6-7 cars to cover the whole network. Do your own maths.

Back to this case. What strikes me is :

1. The judge criticised the CPS for accepting the 105 admission of the defendant. A very rare occurrence and one which speaks volumes to me.

2. A BMW 530 diesel can co 150mph without breaking into a sweat. I suspect a modified Lotus could do so as well.

3. When you're Policing the roads, estimating speed becomes routine. Do it often enough and you become quite good at it (even if I say so myself)

4. As Fullchat said. This would have been a major topic of conversation in the car and the crewroom. They would have been very aware that this case was out of the ordinary and must have been very sure of their facts.

5. There are many inappropriate speed limits. But the limits exist. When we break them, we might moan about their existence, but we also know the potential consequences of breaking them.
Alleged 173mph speeder - FocusDriver
Ooo this sounds like fun. Can I come if I promise to behave myself? Fingers crossed MB decide to go with this.
Alleged 173mph speeder - ifithelps
..maybe you can think of a way the real police can be represented...

Why not invite Sgt Craig Bannister?

He should be out of prison by the time you get this arranged and his driving on the wetted test track would be a lesson to you all.

Alleged 173mph speeder - Mr.Tee43
Motorbikes that can do 200mph on the road, a policeman said.

A Lotus Elise that can do 172, a police man said.

A motorbike that crashed into a horse on a recent "Cop" chase type program, where the attending
officer was heard to say "These bikes weigh about 450 Kg".

Speed testing a Police Car up to 150mph on public roads.

Crashing a Police car at 120mph in the rain.

The video of the biker supposedly doing 122 with his son on the back where the display quite clearly showed "Error"

So what is my point ?

Police are not always right.

Edited by Honestjohn on 22/03/2009 at 16:43

Alleged 173mph speeder - L'escargot
It's purely academic whether the car was doing 105 mph (to which the driver admitted), 127 mph ( the claimed theoretical maximum speed of the car), or 173 mph. They're all grossly excessive in a 50 mph limit. The driver should be locked up and they should throw away the key.
Alleged 173mph speeder - maz64
It's purely academic whether the car was doing 105 mph (to which the driver admitted)
127 mph ( the claimed theoretical maximum speed of the car) or 173 mph.

Yes - I for one would be very interested to know how a Lotus Elise could do 173mph. (I'm not attempting to imply it can't.)
Alleged 173mph speeder - Manatee
>>The driver should be locked up and they should throw away the key.

I was once fined £100 (about a week's wages) for doing 61 in a 30, which I will not attempt to justify. Pre-scameras, this was enough to get my name in the local paper's "Court in Brief" section. In the same report, someone was fined £15 for "assaulting a police officer".

I thought at the time I had been harshly dealt with - I could have assaulted six police officers for less at that rate. Thank goodness the Snailmeister wasn't on the bench. I'd just be up for parole.