98 1.9 Warning light - pugilist306
The warning light (the red light showing the exclamation mark in a circle that comes on when the handbrake is on) flickers on and off - and I don't think the handbrake is on, I've checked! It only seems to come on at low speeds, mainly when the weight of the vehicle comes over the front end of the car. My guess is that it has something to do with the suspension although I know pretty much zilch about all things motorised. I do remember a couple of years ago my mechanic mentioned something about the suspension brushes (whatever they are) needing replacing in a couple of years so I would think that has something to do with it. My question is; does anyone know what might be wrong and (most importantly) could it be dangerous? I'm not looking to put any more serious cash into this car and if it is dangerous and/or expensive, I'll cut my losses and get something newer. Any guesses or help would be appreciated. Cheers.
98 1.9 Warning light - Peter.N.
Could be a brake pad wear indicator, what are the front pads like?
98 1.9 Warning light - harib
On my old 306, the flickering of that warning light was an indicator of low brake fluid, so it's worth checking this. Mine was caused by a split hose, which was fortunately a cheap thing to get sorted.
98 1.9 Warning light - Dynamic Dave
that warning light was an indicator of low brake fluid

Many cars use the handbrake light as a low brake fluid light. That's the first place I'd start looking.
98 1.9 Warning light - DP
Agreed - check your brake fluid.

If the light tends to flicker on when accelerating, braking or cornering that's another good pointer.
98 1.9 Warning light - AlastairW
Assuming this 306 had drum rear brakes, I would bet the cause is leaking wheel cylinders. My old 306 dumped its brake fluid on the floor twice by this route after being parked up for a week in both cases.
98 1.9 Warning light - pugilist306
I hope it's not the brake pads as I had those changed not too long ago. The general consensus is that it is something to do with the brakes and likely to be a low brake fluid indicator - I'll get it checked out sharpish in that case. Thanks for your help guys.
98 1.9 Warning light - richie1309
its not the brake pads there is a different light to warn you of them it looks like (o) and its amber but most 306's didnt have this fitted... the problem is almost cirtainly low brake fluid, start by topping it up it may well clear the problem never to be seen again, if it comes back after a short ammount of time it would suggest a leak some where if your not able to locate then id get a garage to take a look at it. Normally the brake will feel spongie if there is a leak as air will get in to the system if not then its probably just a case of topping up the resivour.

rich