Won't start but I got an idea - bananastand
Gentlemen.

One of our cars is a disgusting rover 25 which has decided not to start - at first it did this intermittently but now not at all. I mean all the time. Anyway it won't start. However if jump started it goes fine. Trying to turn the engine over, all the lights come on, and the battery is relatively new.

There is a noise from the back of the car which I think is the CD changer! That lasts about 2 seconds but, er, I don't think it's relevant.

My theory, based on an experience I had with a sierra about 20 years ago, is that it might be the starter motor and if you smack it with a hammer it might work again for a bit.

Any advice gratefully received. BTW where is the starter motor??

slt and moved from Discussion, Engine type and year ?

Edited by Pugugly on 16/03/2009 at 17:04

hey you lot I can see you're reading it but you gotta put a reply on, or I'll be using the hammer on the wrong bit of engine!!!! ha ha
Won't start but I got an idea - Altea Ego
when you say "does not start" are you saying the engine does not turn over? but it does when you use a jump statrt battery?
oh right sorry, - - no the engine does not turn over at all. It goes ok if i get a push from a helpful passer-by and let the clutch out with the car turned on.
Won't start but I got an idea - Lud
By jump start, bananastand, do you mean push start? If you do, the problem is simple: it's the starter or the starter relay or a bad connection somewhere in the starter circuit.

I had a VW once that responded to the hammer treatment. Got a bit tired of lying down in the road in heavy traffic to hit it though. What that means is that the brushes are almost worn out.

Edited by Lud on 16/03/2009 at 18:46

Won't start but I got an idea - bathtub tom
Do you get a reassuringly loud click from the solenoid when you turn the key to the start position?

I've a vague recollection that these suffer from poor earthing due to a broken or frayed connection. It may be worth doing a forum search.
Won't start but I got an idea - bbroomlea{P}
Almost certainly a stater motor issue - they are fairly easy to change. Location wise if you look into the engine it is at the front on the righthand side below where the battery is. You will see a big thick cable running to the top.

Its an easy DIY job and a new/exhange one shouldnt cost too much. I had one replaced on my 214 and it was about £90 - that was an exchange part that lasted about 3 years before going again - second time I got one from ebay for a tenner and fitted it myself in about 1/2 hour.

gentlemen thank you all, you were right - I had the ultimate brainwave, called out the AA this morning as I have homestart ROFL

it was a corroded solenoid on the starter motor. Quick scrape and a spray with some stuff, and it's fixed

HOORAY!!!!!