01 3.0 won't idle ! - johncyprus
Help please!
My previously faultless QX recently broke down: it will not idle, the engine runs when the accelerator is used ( the car is auto ), My local garage has identified the fault as the idle control valve or stepper motor which they've tried to clean out to no avail. They tell me I need a new one, this cat although UK supplied is very rare , and garage tells me a new stepper motor will be £500 plus VAT. Haven't had a chance to explore the net yet. Has any body got any bright ideas or know how to source such an item without being fleeced?
Aprillia do come back to this forum, your expertise was so much appreciated.

Edited by Pugugly on 14/03/2009 at 22:32

01 3.0 won't idle ! - injection doc
as long as the garage have scoped the output to the control valve & do consider the valve to be at fault electrically or mechanically then have you tried these. ?
Sometimes an ultrasonic bath clean will do the trick unless there is an electrical fault. Has it been put on a simulator?
www.thepartsbin.com/repsite/nissan~idle_control_va...l
01 3.0 won't idle ! - injection doc
also some TSB's created for wiring harness issue's.
autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl739h.htm

On some 1989 Nissan Maxima's, the branch of the EFI harness which connects to the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor may be mis-routed, and there is a possibility that the wires may become damaged at the connector.

If the wires connected to the Coolant Temperature Sensor break, the engine may be difficult to start when cold. On California models, the "Check Engine" warning light may be activated. Therefore, this wire harness must be inspected, re-routed, and, if necessary, repaired.

The cause may be wire breakage in the engine control harness where it bends over the right rear of the engine next to the right strut tower. Wire breakage inside this harness at the bend has been a problem for these cars and a multitude of malfunctions can be attributed to it.

Now be careful here. The wire may be broken inside the insulation so the break will not be obvious. In other words it may look good but still be broken.

There was a TSB issued on this and the Nissan Dealer has a repair kit and procedure to effect repairs to the harness.

I think there is a good chance that one, or more, of these conditions causing your proble
01 3.0 won't idle ! - johncyprus
Injection doc: thank you so much, my weekend improved when I read your posts. I will contact my garage tomorrow but I suspect they may be out of their depth. Can anybody recommend a technician prepared to come out to Surbiton , Surrey will pay top money, if you don't want to post details on this thread perhaps the mods wouldn't mind forwarding them to me.Many thanks.
Mods I do hope this isn't inappropriate use of this forum.