Valuable plate on old car - legacylad
My fiance's youngest daughter has a '97 KA which has just passed its MOT at a cost of £300, and is probably only worth about £305 on a good day, but she loves it! It was bought for her by the Bank of Mum a year ago for £700, and fortunately has a number plate worth considerably more than the car!
If the KA has the slightest bump it will be written off by the insurers....we want to transfer the number onto our car when we get married sometime next year, but if in the meantime it gets written off, does this mean that the insurers will keep the plate?
Any advice please on what action (if any) I should take to retain this plate...daughter likes it on 'her' car.
Valuable plate on old car - J500ANT
the second the car is written off or even a hint that its written off, get to the DVLA website, download form V317 and put the plate on retention. Do it before the insurance co have had the V5C and make sure you let everyone know you're taking the number off the car.

We did this recently when HWMBO's Vx Signum was written off - the local DVLA office were very quick and the new V5C arrived within a week.
Valuable plate on old car - 1400ted
You can put the number on retention anytime, the certificate lasts for a year and costs ( or did cost ) £125. This includes the £80 transfer fee when you come to put it on the new car. Do it now if you're worried about it. The DVLA are very easy to deal with .
Ted
Valuable plate on old car - Rattle
You would be surprised how much its worth, I had one trader trying to sell me an R reg Ka at a bargain price of £1095! The sad thing is somebody will pay £1k for that piece of rust at a dealer, privately even £650 is possibe.

Valuable plate on old car - J500ANT
They now offer the following periods for retaining a number
1yr £105
2yr £130
3yr £155

Previously it was 1yr only, and having applied to put my J500ANT registration on retention yesterday, I can confirm no refund if you do a 3yr retention then put it on another car within a year.