Advice needed - dottie
I'm going to have a look at a Saab 9-3 sport linear tid (150) 2005. It has fsh up to 90K and is now on 104k miles. looks in good condition and is ex lease. Apart from new oil filters, what else am I likely to get clobbered with if I go ahead and buy? price is £4k
Advice needed - 659FBE
Lack of parts and backup when GM ditches the SAAB brand.

Advice needed - Marc
This car will have the Fiat 1.9 diesel engine therefore mechanicals shared with the Vectra C. Obviously trim and body items will be a different matter...
Advice needed - TheOilBurner
Lack of parts and backup when GM ditches the SAAB brand.

Not so, as long as GM Europe continue to exist, Saab will continue to get parts and technical back-up from GM. Most parts are supplied from 3rd parties anyway, so nothing much will change in that sense.

However, if GM Europe are allowed to go under (not impossible at the minute), then all bets are off. Lack of access to the GM computer to perform software downloads etc could become an issue in the long term.

Still, there's lot of Rovers and MGs still on the road, 4 years after Rover went under...
Advice needed - brettmick
I sent back my 2005 9-3 SS Linear Sport (airflow) TiD 150 two weeks ago. It had 67k miles up and I was a little sad to see it go. A new Audi A3 1.8 TFSI will be collected shortly to replace it.

The car was mechanically good and gave me no problems, so perhaps I am not a great person to ask if problems are what you want to hear about. I only had only just put on the 3rd set of front rubber and on the motorway the car is brilliant. Around town and over speed bumps not so great. I love the look of them.

The only real downside was inside where things like the glove box button peeling made it look a bit shabby, the cloth interior was difficult to keep clean and felt cheap, the radio isn't great, the driver side window kept getting caught on the safety trigger when the weather was hot.

Servicing is every 18k miles with the biggy at 66k (which doesn't make a multiple of 18k I know). I used a local independent who were very much better than the dreadul main dealers.

When driving you will find gearchange from 1st to 2nd when cold is poor, but it improves as the car warms up without ever feeling "right". The diesel clatter on start up is loud but settles after a short while. Driving position is excellent but I did notice some cars drivers seats felt as if the bit where you put your bum was soft/soggy.

I sent the car back rather than taking the option to buy it because Saab look finished. I don't think parts will be a problem as the engines are everywhwere and the early 52 plate cars will soon start making their way into the scrap yards as they become worthless.