03 1.8T battery drain - fuse 37 (engine timing) - gmacdon
Hi,

I've got a problem with my Audi A3 1.8T - the battery has gone flat and I've traced it down to fuse 37 which is listed as 'engine timing'. Sure enough, remove this fuse and the drain stops but the engine wont start.

Any ideas what on earth could cause this? (or am i off to the dealer?)

(Clue? I had a bluetooth car kit installed 2 weeks ago but its gone dead and due to be replaced next week, but thats on a different fuse. Its also due a service in <100 miles which happens to be the timing belt change)

Thanks for any help,

Gordon

Edited by Pugugly on 02/03/2009 at 21:04

03 1.8T Audi battery drain - fuse 37 (engine timin - Peter D
Engine code required. It is in the sewvice book or the ID label in the spare wheel bay. Regards Peter
According to my manuals F37 is for the "Central locking motor with control unit for interior lights switch-off delay and anti-theft alarm system" Regards Peter
It depends on the position of the fuse. If it is F37 then it is the "Electric window motor, right" very confusing. No pun intended. But it would would not stop the engine from running. Regards Peter
03 1.8T Audi battery drain - fuse 37 (engine timin - gmacdon
If I remove the fuse (F37) the engine won't start. I'm going by the printed list on the inside of the fuse box cover.
What is the fuse rating. Regards Peter
20 amp
I have F37 at 30 Amps so something is not right. Regards Peter
the printed sheet has the engine timing fuse rating as 20amps, which is what the fuse is. (This is a petrol A3 1.8T)
3 letter engine code from the ID label in the service book or the spare wheel nay. Regards Peter
engine code is M5S
Sorry no such engine. Have you found the ID label the engine code is on the left and gearbox on the right the engine will be AXX. Regards Peter
ah, sorry the label was out of line with the book - the engine code is AUM
That's better. Yes F37 20 amps feed the Motronic control unit ( engine ECU ) however this may be a fualty relay. can you here the secondary air pump running when the engine is stopped but ignition on or Relay J227 'Motronic current supply relay' has failed. Pull relay 2 in the relay carrier ( red socket ) It's near the bulkhead under the bonnet. replace fuse and check, to not attempt to start the car. You can also pull relay 1 brown socket if you want, this is the air pump relay. Is the car an automatic. If so with the engine off, pump the brakes a lot, can you hear the vacuum pump kick in. Regards Peter

Edited by Peter D on 05/03/2009 at 12:01

Where have you gone. Regards Peter
Still not been back. Regards Peter
03 1.8T Audi battery drain - fuse 37 (engine timin - Chuckie888
Maybe the Bluetooth system has been connected to the stereo power lines. Aren't VAGs wired up to always provide a voltage to the stereo? The stereo has extra circuitary to stop power drain after 'x' mins, that's why people who change their stereos to aftermarket ones unexpectedly experience battery drain. A parasitic drain test will prove the source of the drain if it isn't the aforementioned.
Apologies, its not been dry enough to try any of your suggestions yet (and to compound matters my house bolier failed on Saturday so that has to take priority!). I should be able to get the car somewhere dry this week and try these.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I will get back to you
Well, after trying a few suggestions from here I put the car into Audi today - the fault? the bluetooth car kit was wired to the stereo and taking a constant drain, as suggested above - £60 to find that out for sure.

Not happy with the installation comapny and stroppy email being prepared now...

Thank you for all your help.
Gordon
03 1.8T Audi battery drain - fuse 37 (engine timin - elekie&a/c doctor
It would be interesting to know what make /model Bluetooth system has been fitted.
First kit was a Parrot MK9000 and the second is an IO Play.

The 'head engineer' from the installation company is on his way here today to have a look at the job thats been done.

I have a feeling that Halfords would have done a better job that this company i've got. I called Halfords and asked about installing the IO Play in my car and immediately they've picked up on needing an additional adapter cable so they contacted the supplier who hav said that they don't make a cable for the A3 stereo and hence not possible to fit to this car.

Remember, the 'head engineer' is on the way... this will be interesting...