01 1.8 Zetec Engine Problems - Stewart_2004
Hi I have just got myself a 1.8 Zetec I got the car cheap as it was sold with engine problems the owner thought it was a snapped timing belt. I have had a quick look inside the covers and the belt still seems to be holding tention. I have tryed to turn the engine over by hand and it all seens to be ok it turns smoothly. So I decided to to try and start it at first all I was getting was the starter motor clicking, so I tryed a new starter and that seems to turn the engive over very slowly but it wont start the car I Can smell petrol when the engine turns, but its not spinning anywhere near fast enough to start it.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong ?

Regards Stew

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/06/2009 at 02:36

01 1.8 Ztec Engine Problems - shadyarea
Try a new battery and make sure its a calcium one
01 1.8 Ztec Engine Problems - Stewart_2004
ok thanks for advice will give it a try.
01 1.8 Ztec Engine Problems - Stewart_2004
Last night I had a play with the car to see if I could get it started first thing was I checked the earh leads all looked clean starter motor cables were secured ok. tryed to start the car I could hear the fuel pump kicking in, but still the cams spin slow this time it made a few popping noises along the way. So I removed the plugs and tryed to turn by hand still seemed ok. tryed to crank car with plugs out to see if that speeded things up but still no joy. Removed the rocker cover and cheked the timing marks & they looked as if they were alligened correctly. still no luck.

heres a video of whats happening

s118.photobucket.com/albums/o98/stewart29992000/?a...v

{Link edited so should now work}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/03/2009 at 18:26

01 1.8 Ztec Engine Problems - AlastairW
Have you changed the battery yet?
01 1.8 Ztec Engine Problems - zookeeper
are you getting a spark at the plugs ( seeings that you have had the plugs out...try it) could be owt tho... crank sensor, coil pack, process of illimination
01 1.8 Ztec Engine Problems - DP
Stick a set of jump leads on it and try it.
01 1.8 Ztec Engine Problems - daniel 12345 danny
hi have you sorted your focus i have the same problem looks like the tensioner has gone hopefuly after retiming should be ok
01 1.8 Ztec Engine Problems - jonny10buds
I watched your video, the engine is turning ok, it sounds like there's no compression or it's very flooded, might be worth doing a compression test with a tester that screws into the plug holes. If the compression is down it could be incorrect valve timing due to the cambelt or valve damage caused by the above.