04 1.9 dCi Grand Scenic - multiple faults - Cheggers
Had a nightmare with my 54 reg car over the last year and won't bore anyone with it now. Details on Parkers!!! I have had a turbo blow, replaced, second one damaged and knackered engine. Extended warranty refused to pay as wear and tear, but on all 17 visits to the garage not once was EGR or CAT checked. Now on new engine with same EGR and CAT and I seem to have lost the oommmpf it used to have, and can't do any better than 34 MPG, and I spend most of my life on the M80 Stirling doing 60 to 70 all the way. Would i be right in thinking that the EGR at least should have been checked or replaced at first turbo blow up. And would that fact that it was never done caused my engine damage after the first turbo was replaced. The second one was only caught as it was in garage every 2 weeks, and it had a damaged compressor and needed rebalance. car had done 50 000 or so, as I have had the infamous dash blow up as well, along with every other fault you care to list!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/02/2009 at 21:09

04 1.9 dCi Grand Scenic - multiple faults - DP
Cheggers,

Sorry to hear about the absolute nightmare you seem to have had with yours. These issues were very common on this engine in its early days, but were widely thought to have been sorted by 2004, as Renault redesigned the EGR valve, and also changed the turbo's oil feed to improve reliability. That said, I believe any garage should check the EGR valve as a minimum before replacing a turbo. Not sure the cat affects turbo life as it's downstream of the turbo.
Just out of interest (and I'm not for one minute implying this is your fault), how frequently has the car been serviced, and what make of oil and filter have been used? Do you drive mostly around town, or does the car get a regular blast? There is a particular recommendation on these engines to give them clean oil at 9,000 miles (half Renault's recommended interval), use a good quality ACEA B3/B4 synthetic 5W/40 oil, and give them a good workout every so often to keep the EGR free and stop things from sooting up.

Cheers
DP
04 1.9 dCi Grand Scenic - multiple faults - Cheggers
DP

I had mentioned it a few times but was never taken seriously. Arnold Clark were most unhelpful. That said I bought car at 37 000 and it was serviced correctly to that point, then I had it serviced again 14 000 after I had it, and 1 week after this it was in for oil loss, and been the case ever since. Oil used has been 5W/40 fully synthetic, all filters and turbo were from Renault, and my as regards driving I drive about 400 a week and some times 100 a week depends on where in Central ScotlandWest coast I need to be (work for NHS) and when I get a chance I do give it some welly. In 18 months of having the car I have added maybe 20 000, and it has spent a good 6 months i the garage! I only mentioned that CAT as I currently struggle to get more than 34 mpg! That said, took a Peugeot 4007 GT for a test drive today, and was very impressed.

Edited by Cheggers on 27/02/2009 at 20:03