Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - ifithelps
Ford, in my case.

My uber-reliable 2002 Focus TDCi is going to be replaced by.... a Focus.

But in a bid to make life a little more interesting, I'm having a coupe cabriolet, a CC3, to be precise.

Diesel again, this time two litre, park assist on the rear, metallic blue Di Cina and don't forget the all important flaps and mats.

The only other extra is a windbreak - really just because only CC buyers can have one.

I know sales are down, but there must be others in the Backroom who are having a new car.

PU has 'fessed up to a Honda - no p/ex I heard, the guy's garage must be almost as big as his wallet.

Anyone else looking forward to a shiny new 09-reg?

Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - BobbyG
Don't want to "rain on your parade" but I thought the Focus CC had major issues with water leaks? Have they been resolved?
Well, the car's been out 2/3 years now and the facelift ones are supposed to have silicone seals across the top of the windscreen, which is where they leaked, if anywhere.

People on here might laugh, but I've some faith in Ford producing a properly engineered product.

Also, it's a convertible and I don't think you can odds a few drips here and there.

If it leaks like a sieve, I'll be squealing as loudly as anybody.
Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - stunorthants26
Good on ya, the CC is one of the few current Fords that I look at and think 'if I had the money, I might'. Hope it serves you well.
Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - Xtype
Good choice of car. The early ones had the leak problem but they sorted it out in the end. Only CC that looks good IMHO.
Positive words indeed from a man who must get sick of the sight of cars.

Thanks for that.

Edit: And X-Type as well.

Edited by ifithelps on 25/02/2009 at 15:29

Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - doctorchris
Buying new now does make sense.
Plenty of very good discounts should be available, if not, walk away.
If you can get a loan, then interest rates should be low.
A few years down the line there will be a shortage of used cars so you should get a better trade-in.
I bought a Panda Cross new back in Oct last year and got a £3000 discount. Offered £3000 trade-in for my Panda Climbing but kept the car and sold it privately this weekend for £3500 (remember £3000 in the bank is earning peanuts just now).
I like your choice of car, very stylish.
....I like your choice of car, very stylish....

Thanks Doc, and since we live in the same manor, you might see it around.
Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - Falkirk Bairn
I take it you have seen the DISCOUNTED PRICES

www.honestjohn.co.uk/best_deals/item.htm?id=5786
Falkirk Bairn,

Yes, if you look into it more closely, there are not many CC3s about, metallic, sensors and mats/flaps adds about £750, but 'my' dealer more or less matched the price quoted on the link.

Means you get basic trade value for your p/ex, but you can't have it all ways.

Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - Carse
Ifithelps,

The problems with the roofs are not sorted because they cannot be fixed. The problems arise because the roof can be operated whilst the vehicle is moving. If you do this the roof anchors are deformed and the roof fails to meet its seals correctly thus causing leaks. I guess if you only operate the roof whilst stationary you will limit your exposure to this issue.

Carse
Carse,

Could be why the roof on the latest models can not be operated while the car is moving.

Could be but if you review HJ's car by car breakdown he does touch on this topic and even he states this is an ongoing issue with even the latest models, even to the point where if the car is parked on an incline it can cause the roof to incorrectly seal

Carse

Edited by Carse on 25/02/2009 at 15:49

Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - doctorchris
Oh heck, ifithelps, so no parking on a hill.
Maybe you need to move to Holland!!
Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - daveyjp
The advice not to open and close on a hill is now given for most tin top cabrios - it's one reason why the Eos leaks.

I assume a pair of spirit levels are now installed on the dash?!
Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - Mr X
Surely by buying these less than perfect models with their faults, we are playing in to the hands of the car makers and allowing them to continue turning out junk ?
Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - Pugugly
Life's imperfect - hasn't stopped me wanting to live.
Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - islandman
Sounds nice --- spring is just around the corner too!

You are clearly quite happy with a diesel in a convertible and they do make sense from many aspects. Just not sure about the sound with the roof down though. I like to hear the crackle from the pipes which you just don't get with a diesel.

But hey, I guess I'm old fashioned and I think you've got a good looking well made car which you'll love in the summer. Is this your 1st open top?
...is this your first open top?...

Certainly is - unless you count the folding sun roof on my Herald - which also leaked every time it rained.

Hadn't thought about the rattly old diesel scaring the birds.

Roof use is a topic that interests me.

To start with, I imagine the thing will rarely be up, but the novelty might wear off.

I rather like the cabin with the roof up, it's cosy, a bit like a Minor pick up I used to drive in the dim and distant.

Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - dxp55
If

Congrats on your new shiny car - if you like it take no notice of detractors - I bought a 58 reg new car a few months ago - my first since 1984 and it is sitting out on drive dazzeling the road - Up untill this car I cleaned them with sponge and leather -Big no no -- read this forum www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/ follow their advice and it will look superb all the time.
Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - islandman
<< Hadn't thought about the rattly old diesel scaring the birds.

Depends what 'birds' you think it might scare!!
Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - JH
Good on yer! Ignore the doom mongers and enjoy it.
JH
...Ignore the doom mongers....

That's a certainty, and at least no one has mentioned the DMF and the DPF - Ooops! - that's torn it.

Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - DP
Nice car, and just in time for Spring. Enjoy!
Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - Chris White
Excellent, I really like the look of the Focus and will be going for a convertible next time I buy but I'm waiting for the folding hard top Volvo C70s to drop to an affordable level (for me...)

Have fun!
Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - quizman
I hope we have a decent summer so you can get your top down.
Been to see mine today - lovely jubbley. All the best with yours !
Thanks for the kind and encouraging words.

The dealer's been on since my last post and it looks like CC-Day should be the middle of next week.

Shame I've got to work, but then, no work means no coin to buy things.

By the way PU, talking to my brother the other day and he remarked his Civic is the only car he's had that hasn't had to go back to the dealer at least once before its first service to have some fault or other sorted.

Hope that's a good omen for your Honda.

Touch wood - we've had some unhappy experiences with the Civic IMAs we have in work, but hey they were made in America (apparently)
Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - DrS
Good on yer: I have been toying with the idea for 3 or 4 years, as I do - or did - lots of miles on business, and the perverse concept of getting a suntan in company time was quite appealing.
Anyway, having now joined the great unwashed, that idea is right out of the window.

Have just bought an 08 Grand Scenic dCi.
Under 10k, which I thought was reasonable, although the part ex allowances were a little sobering!
It's not about doom mongering it?s about informing the OP and allowing him to make an informed decision. That is the point of the forum and why lots of members find it is so valuable. If I was making such a large financial commitment in the current climate I would like as much information as possible to allow me to make the correct decision. If with all the information presented the OP decides to buy the vehicle in an informed manner, all power too him and hopefully he will have many years of fault free motoring

HJ's car by car breakdown is there for a reason and is one of the most valuable pieces of information available when considering a vehicle purchase

Carse
Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - FocusDriver
Nice car ifithelps! Congratulations. But you've betrayed your 2002 TDCi horribly. It will "know". Anyway I hope you have lots of fun in it and even if the novelty does wear off, you've still got a brilliant piece of evolved engineering.

I know sales are down, but there must be others in the Backroom who are having a new car.

Well I'm not. I don't have enough money yet though I'm saving hard. I will not buy anything on credit and my 1999 Focus Ghiarandad will be replaced by either a) Focus or b) Mazda 3 - but not until late this year when I will start a thread to celebrate buying a car most would consider ripe for trade-in :(

Edited by FocusDriver on 25/02/2009 at 18:14

....But you've betrayed your 2002 TDCi horribly....

I will be a little sad to see it go, it's been a tremendous servant.

80,000 miles and nothing other than routine main dealer servicing, a couple of bulbs and, of course, tyres.

Everything still works and it has every potential to be a good secondhand buy for somebody.

I think the dealer will just chuck it through the auction - deserves better, really.

Edited by ifithelps on 25/02/2009 at 18:25

Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - quizman
I know a young chap who is looking for a used Focus, which must be in pristine order and cheap. How much do you want for it?
He will be in touch no doubt!
Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - doctork
Plan to buy new May/June time - trading my Hyundai Coupe 55 plate.
Most interested in testing Alfa Mito first -also on shortlist Mazda 2, perhaps Peugeot 207 .
quizman,

It's part of the deal on the new one, but I could extricate it in exchange for £2,500.

The car's in the North East and as I am not prepared to be left with two or no cars, it would have to be bought and paid for this weekend.

If you think that might be a runner, I'm happy to let you have my email address, if one of the mods wouldn't mind doing the honours.

Sales are down.

The Honda dealer I called at today seemed to have quite a few going out on Monday. At least two CRVs
I was in the Ford garage on Sunday - busiest day of the week, but the place was buzzing.

I've worked in a main dealer and I know enough to tell.

The salesman - who was there when I bought the Focus in 2002 - told me the group had bought plenty of cars recently, so he had the stock to sell.

Most of the new sales are like mine, heavily discounted, but that price is only available on the new cars they have in stock.

Its all about turnover at the moment
PU,

Yes, it seems to be.

"We're working for the back end," was the phrase used by my friendly Ford salesman.

I took this to mean retrospective bonuses based on sales/turnover.

Good thing I didn't take it any other way, or I would have had him arrested. :)
Decision made - I'm having a shiny new 09-reg... - bimmer-driver
The novelty never wears off ifithelps. I've had my BMWs roof down all through winter. Can't beat a crisp morning, windows up, wind deflector up, heated seats on and your away. I looked at the Focus CC before I bought it and I must admit the leaking roofs put me off. I think they've cured it with the facelift model though. The main thing is though its YOUR car so don't listen to anyone else. Hope you enjoy it!
...The novelty never wears off ifithelps....

Cooper-driver,

Like the sound of that, and the rest of your post.

I've been looking out for convertibles since I placed the order, as one does.

Not seen many Focus CCs, but nearly all the convertibles I have seen have one thing in common - the roof is usually up.

Like you, I intend to get some use out of mine in something other than bright sunshine.

Even a Focus roof can't leak when it's down. :)